REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Mar 14, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #947 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so in other words ef2 is a piece of junk?

No, I am still new and learning so what I say (and ask) doesn't mean that much in terms of accuracy.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #950 of 1,326
I was using a good soldering iron.
wink.gif
a Weller.. My solder melts quite quick, I don't use lead-free, I WANT the lead solder, easier to melt, doesn't whisker, just works..

Thing is, those RCA jacks from rat shack take a while to actually get solder to flow, and once it does, the plastic insulator between center pin and ground shield, has melted..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7qWZO-8sg

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #952 of 1,326
I have a Creative Soundblaster Extigy from about 10 years ago. Could the DAC in this device possibly be better than the one on the EF2? It is a 24 bit/96kHz DAC Philips UDA1328T. I have to use it as a preamp also, since there is no rca out (3.5mm to rca into EF2). The sound seems to be slightly warmer with the extigy, though not drastically different from some initial tests.

IMG_5460.JPG

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #953 of 1,326
I know nothing about the Extigy. The PCM2702E Japan DAC in the EF2 is not the end-all DAC, but is usually an upgrade over the stock DAC built into most PC's. It's also the best of the PCM270X series of DACs. Lately the Burr Brown/TI PCM270X chips are used in upgraded DAC's as the USB receiver chip only, and only the S/PDIF or I2S is sent from the Burr Brown chip to a higher end Wolfson or Cirrus Logic or Analog Devices DAC chip. So, it's possible for an older 24/96 DAC chip to exceed the EF2 DAC, but the EF2 DAC exceeds that of many computers.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #954 of 1,326
So I thought I found my holy grale
normal_smile .gif

After reading most of this thread I'm not so sure anymore
frown.gif

I was originally just going to buy a new soundcard and was contemplating the Asus Xonar d2X as I also game some.

Then I saw the EF2a at head-direct and thought this might be it as I do listen to a lot of music by my pc on Grado sr60 and don't really care about EAX and the sorts. Stereo will do.

But this entire thread seems focused on:
- DAC part not too impressive, on par with onboard soundchips
- Amp part not powerful enough
- Tubes not good enough. Too bright, need to be changed
- and this last guy who has trouble hearing difference between his onboard sound and the EF2

Hmm I can hear clearly difference between my onboard asus p5kpremium chip and my audigy 2

Didn't the Hifiman EF2 upgrade to EF2A enhance amp power ?

I also miss direct comparison with dac/amps in same price range.
Which is better: Nuforce uDac, EF2A, Firestone Fubar III USB DAC, Aune USB DAC/AMP ?

Is it really that bad or are you guys just extremely critical ?

Would love some advice ?

Really just looking for best soundquality from my pc in this pricerange ?

Should I just get a Asus xonar ?

Thanx in advance

Kind regards NR

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #955 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrhyme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I thought I found my holy grale
normal_smile .gif

After reading most of this thread I'm not so sure anymore
frown.gif

I was originally just going to buy a new soundcard and was contemplating the Asus Xonar d2X as I also game some.

Then I saw the EF2a at head-direct and thought this might be it as I do listen to a lot of music by my pc on Grado sr60 and don't really care about EAX and the sorts. Stereo will do.

But this entire thread seems focused on:
- DAC part not too impressive, on par with onboard soundchips
- Amp part not powerful enough
- Tubes not good enough. Too bright, need to be changed
- and this last guy who has trouble hearing difference between his onboard sound and the EF2

Hmm I can hear clearly difference between my onboard asus p5kpremium chip and my audigy 2

Didn't the Hifiman EF2 upgrade to EF2A enhance amp power ?

I also miss direct comparison with dac/amps in same price range.
Which is better: Nuforce uDac, EF2A, Firestone Fubar III USB DAC, Aune USB DAC/AMP ?

Is it really that bad or are you guys just extremely critical ?

Would love some advice ?

Really just looking for best soundquality from my pc in this pricerange ?

Should I just get a Asus xonar ?

Thanx in advance

Kind regards NR

I know nothing about how most PC sound, except the ones I have owned all sounded like poop. Macbook Pro onboard sound is about as good as an iPod. I'll address a few of your concerns:

"- DAC part not too impressive, on par with onboard soundchips"

No, the PCM2702E Japan DAC in the EF2 is an upgrade to the Macbook Pro, and the same DAC as the 3MOVE, but it's just not on the level of the Wolfson or ESS DAC's. A $99 uDAC will add some detail and soundstage size to the EF2 vs the built-in DAC.

"- Amp part not powerful enough"

No, it has more power than most portable amps for the HD600/800 except the Protector. There are many other desktop amps that are more powerful, but the power is on par with Qinpu A-3 or Nuforce Icon when using HD600 (and more than A-3 with Grado and Denon).

"- Tubes not good enough. Too bright, need to be changed"

No, the stock tubes are nice with HD600 and likely the HD650 too, and just a little bright with HD800 or Grado RS-1 but not bad. $30-40 tubes will improve the sound with everything, but you can live with the stock ones for a while.

"- and this last guy who has trouble hearing difference between his onboard sound and the EF2"

The amp has no hiss with IEM while my Macbook does, and it drives HD600 more powerfully than my Macbook Pro or any iPod. To me that's an upgrade.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #956 of 1,326
nightrhyme, don't get turned off to the EF2. I haven only been at head-fi for 7 months or so and am not the most credible person when it comes to making comments. I still think the EF2 has a place, but am still trying to figure that out. I thank headphone addict for recommending me the HD600 and EF2 (though I went slightly more budget with used HD580s). It has changed the way I listen and I look forward to future upgrades.

I think I am beginning to hear the difference. Without the EF2, the HD580s still sound great. However they just seem a bit lacking somehow, almost like its lack of volume. Turn the volume up and it doesn't really make it better. EF2 without a doubt has tons of power, and I think this does make the sound fuller with 300ohm headphones. More to come, as I should have some mullard tubes by the weeks end.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #958 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by tike71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the signal go thru the tube when used with the onboard usb DAC or is it solid state? I'm a newbie to all of this

DAC -> ss -> tubes

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #959 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC -> ss -> tubes

Thanks! So it is not like the Maverick D1 where it only has a tube pre out.
I'm looking for a DAC / Tube AMP and the EF2A seems to offer both for a very good price

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #960 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by tike71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! So it is not like the Maverick D1 where it only has a tube pre out.
I'm looking for a DAC / Tube AMP and the EF2A seems to offer both for a very good price

From what I am reading, the Maverick looks like its the same (dac->ss->single tube) though I could be not understanding it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back