REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Mar 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #932 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well does the EF2 power the 250ohm DT880? I can get the DT880 for a lot cheaper than it used to be and was just toying with the idea....

I don't know about the Beyer, but it has enough power for 300 ohm HD600 and HD800. (or at least more power with those than any of my portable amps, and similar power levels as the Qinpu A-3 and Travagans Red).

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #936 of 1,326
Oh ok.

I'm still finding death metal finding a new quality with the '45 tubes. The guitars seem more "sharp". (When I say sharp, I mean the guitars are more standing out, more deathly actually)..

Oh, and the new Gorillaz album sounded GREAT on my EF2 and '45 Hytron 6AK5's..

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #937 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. This is one argument for not selling anything ever, because now I can't try my long gone HFI-780 with my EF2.

Do you think it would be better once I get the 780s recabled? Maybe I should've just got the udac, seeing as how the 780s are low impedance. They sound much too bright with the ef2 in stock form.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #938 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think it would be better once I get the 780s recabled? Maybe I should've just got the udac, seeing as how the 780s are low impedance. They sound much too bright with the ef2 in stock form.

I don't want to take a guess and make a mistake.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #939 of 1,326
I'm going to upgrade the tubes on my EF2, the stock Chinese ones are fully burnt in now and the bass doesn't sound consistent enough for me (I'm using hd580's as primary cans).
Should I get a pair of 61K5's or are there better tubes out there considering my cans?
Also I live in europe so it'd be great if someone could recommend me an online shop that delivers in france.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #940 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The uDAC I have heard is somewhat dark which may pair well with the hfi780s.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #941 of 1,326
I have been ABX testing my onboard sound to the EF2 and if there is a difference, its small and I can hardly tell. I have been using the EF2 for about 5 months now, and AB it off and on, but I have yet to hear anything substantial. If I throw the ipod in there, the difference is also minimal compared to both. The only substantial difference in audio I have heard (and a massive one at that) is switching from the HD485 to the HD580. VBR V2 or greater mp3's and lossless formats are also nice. Any Ideas...?

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #942 of 1,326
IMHO all onboard cards are pretty equal to the stock DAC in many of the amps in this range. EF2, Maverick, Zero, and Compass. The only appreciable difference I can fine with my EF2 is to change either the tubes ( Mullard CV4010 at the moment), or the cans or source. ( Denons VS Zerbarwoods, CD to analog in vs, USB from PC, ETC.). and further most Stand alone DAC's are only a slight improvement. To me, the first thing to do is find the cans that give you your "Go To" flavor and then improve your sources in the next step.. Ipod/DAP or USB from a netbook are convenient, but if I can, I just sit down and run Analog into the EF2 from my Marantz DVD/SACD player and I am the happiest.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #943 of 1,326
I suppose I should Clarify my staement above.

When I say most onboard sound cards are not appreciably better than the onboard DAC in these amps I meant that many of the cards such as the X-Fi are designed to enhance the audio in ways not usually appreciated in Audiophile. Equalizers and effects beyond what is capable with a DAC alone. If you think Tubes vs Solid State or Copper vs Silver is a touchy subject, imagine the subjective difference between multi level soundcards.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #944 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO all onboard cards are pretty equal the stock DAC in all of the amps in this range. EF2, Maverick, Zero, and Compass. The only appreciable difference I can fine with my EF2 is to change either the tubes ( Mullard CV4010 at the moment), or the cans or source. ( Denons VS Zerbarwoods, CD to analog in vs, USB from PC, ETC.). and further most Stand alone DAC's are only a slight improvement. To me, the first thing to do is find the cans that give you your "Go To" flavor and then improve your sources in the next step.. Ipod/DAP or USB from a netbook are convenient, but if I can, I just sit down and run Analog into the EF2 from my Marantz DVD/SACD player. I am the happiest.

When I used my EF2 with a cdplayer, it did have a slightly better sound than the amp build into the cd player. It sounded a bit more detailed, but even then, the difference was not profound like using different headphones is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back