REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Feb 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #902 of 1,326
The Mullards are taking quite awhile to come in... however I've rolled 2 other pair of tubes into the EF2 with surprising results.

I've experimented (paired with a uDAC and monitored using an HD600) using GE 5 stars and Hytron JHY-6AK5 (WWII era tubes) and all I can say is that the Hytrons kick some major ass.

For me, I'm not really a fan of the brightness of the high frequencies with the 5 stars. It was very sparkly at the top (brighter than the stock chinese tubes) and had tons of details but at times I felt like it was too bright for me. The detail was for sure amazing though and gave a great perception of separation between the instruments.

However, the JHY-6AK5 Hytrons tamed the top end very well and retained a good amount of the detail. If anything, it synergizes well with almost all my headphones compared to my other tubes (GE 5 star and stock China 6J1s).

I have a pair of Sylvania JAN-CH5-6AK5s that I will probably try out later on after I've burned these in thoroughly...

Up to this point the Hytrons are my most favorite since they're the most balanced and accurate in comparison to all the tubes I've owned.

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #903 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mullards especiialy will require a good burn in, about 100 hrs to open up. Listen every 10 hrs or so and you'll be amazed at the changes.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep the burn in going. Hopefully my HF-2's will be here sometime in the next few days so I can overlap the burn-in as much as possible.

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #904 of 1,326
Hey, I'll ask here since you guys probably know a lot about this amp.

What would be a better investment for an HF-2, an EF2 (with or without a uDac) or a Little Dot 1+ (definitely with uDac)? This is assuming stock tubes all around, so sorry to interrupt your rolling discussion.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #905 of 1,326
My Hytron JHY-6AK5 from 1945 may not be lasting for long.
frown.gif

Though they are still sounding great, the getter is showing some greyish rings, starting to look oxidized "slightly" with some pitted dots. Oh well, guess it couldn't last FOREVER.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #906 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Hytron JHY-6AK5 from 1945 may not be lasting for long.
frown.gif

Though they are still sounding great, the getter is showing some greyish rings, starting to look oxidized "slightly" with some pitted dots. Oh well, guess it couldn't last FOREVER.

I have the same ones!

I feel like I have to search hard for some more of these too, cause like you said, they will be dying.

That's why I'm trying to enjoy the heck out of them while I can!
normal_smile .gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #907 of 1,326
Feb 25, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #908 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.
wink.gif

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...weredragon.jpg

Those are my Hytrons..

You're come in the same box? (The hytron box, not the Philco and 6J1 tube in the pic)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...weredragon.jpg

Yep has the same plant as well (edit: not too aware which other plants they used before CBS purchased them... so what I said may not be of any value if that's the case lol) . The box was sealed with a US Navy stamp on the right box flaps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love how punchy the bass is on these particular tubes compared to all the other tubes I've owned. I probably won't be touching the others for awhile though... one particular pair I'm really curious about is a pair of Telefunkens, but they're so hard to find without having super inflated prices (hell, hard to find regardless).

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #909 of 1,326
Yea, the bass is very hard hitting, which is why I love them.. Natural bass amplification, not something fake.

I actually had to ditch my minidisc player as a DAC, cause the bass was TOO strong. Right now, I'm actually stuck what I want to use as a DAC right now.. Very confused.. I have 3 choices.. 1 is dismissed (the minidisc). 1 is my computers built in DAC which is over 130db SNR, and the DAC built into the EF2..

PS: Mine also have the navy stamp on the side, with "US" on both sides of the anchor, and the tube model above.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #912 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still feel like my HFI 780 sounds better when I just use the udac instead of combining the two. I really don't understand it.

Equipment synergy. The colored sound from the tubes probably doesn't yield to your likings.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #913 of 1,326
Quote:

I still feel like my HFI 780 sounds better when I just use the udac instead of combining the two. I really don't understand it.

The Ultrasone HFI series are pretty easy to power. Headrooms review of them even says they sound great out of an ipod. I have used HFI 580 with the EF2 and I didnt notice much, but it was only a short time. I would A/B them more with the EF2 for a while longer with different types of music. If a month from now you still feel the same, you can sell the EF2.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #915 of 1,326
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Equipment synergy. The colored sound from the tubes probably doesn't yield to your likings.

Richie, what tubes are you using in the EF2? Having owned the HFI-780 in the past, I would have guessed the uDAC would work better with them than an EF2 with stock tubes. But I would guess the EF2 with my Raytheon 6AK5 tubes would work just as well (not accounting for the uDAC's extra detail).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back