REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Feb 18, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #871 of 1,326
I like closed, the ones that go over your ears, not on them..

I do like bass though, I strive on it especially when making bass rhythms in songs that I do, I like to hear them loud when I play them.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #872 of 1,326
Also, what's a good source for the NOS Raytheon 6AK5? The Mullard CV4010 is available for $20 shipped (pair), but the cheapest I could find the Raytheon's were $48. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #876 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like closed, the ones that go over your ears, not on them..

I do like bass though, I strive on it especially when making bass rhythms in songs that I do, I like to hear them loud when I play them.

Over the ears is separate from open and closed. You can get closed headphones both on ear and over the hear.

Likewise you can get open headphones both on ear and over ear.

I would look into the Ultrasone HFI 580/780. They are closed over the ear with clear sound and powerful bass.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #877 of 1,326
Woo, way to expensive.. I'm not rich or near it.. Price of those headphones were price in my checking account.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #878 of 1,326
You can get HFI 580 for under 80 used in great shape. Also, headphones are the most important part of your setup. If you spend 200 on the EF2 and who knows how much on the Onkyo, you should have good headphones. Sonny bassy headphones with all that amp seems silly.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #879 of 1,326
The Onkyo has actually only been used for 8 ohm pioneer SE-2P headphones.. All other cans have been fine being directly run by the EF2. Onkyo was also handed down to me from my father, it was his originally.

I'll try to find the HFI-580 used..

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #882 of 1,326
Awesome, glad to have found a good priced deal.
wink.gif

I skipped on shipping and drove there myself, they literally have a warehouse full of tubes. It was HEAVEN.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #883 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's so hard with so many options so close in price and so many opinions about OPamp this, and HDAM that, Tubes or no tubes. The EF2 is the only one of the above which uses the tube in the headphone out so if you only want one unit and want "Tubes" The EF2 would be you best bet. The Maverick would be more powerful but would reqiure you to run the Tube Pre-out to another amp to use the tube stage. The Maverick and Zero are very close in comparison of thier Solid State headphone out with IMHO a slight lead in the Maverick. The Audi GD "Fun" (formerly the Compass) can outshine Either the Maverick or Zero, but is just over 100.00 USD more and slightly larger.

I don't know if this has helped or just given you even more to decide.

Would you say the Compass w/ the Earth HDAM module would be superior to both the Maverick and the EF2? It's been described as neutral-sounding which is what I want. Would $250 be a good deal for a used unit in good condition? Not sure what they normally go for.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #885 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say the Compass w/ the Earth HDAM module would be superior to both the Maverick and the EF2? It's been described as neutral-sounding which is what I want. Would $250 be a good deal for a used unit in good condition? Not sure what they normally go for.

The EF2 is a tube hybrid and although it does not have the multi-channel inputs or IMHO, the power of the others, it has the tube rolling option as it's advantage. The Maverick has a tube stage but only to the tube pre-out so another amp is required to roll tube in it. My first choice is still the EF2 because I don't need alot of power and I love tubes. My Choice for Solid State is the Compass/Fun even though it's more expensive than the Maverick or Zero. I would not choose any of them for the quality of thier DAC's as much more superior DAC's can be had for 100-200. The newest of which that I am just trying out is the Headphonia DAC cable with a Wolfson chip for 59.00 shipped.

250.00 is about average for a used Compass. The Earth HDAM is more neutral than the Moon or Sun, but I prefer the Moon. If you email KingWa at Audio GD they may still have one or two Compasses left in stock even though they list only the "Fun" now. I got mine directly from Audio GD for 269.00 plus shipping.

Chinese New Year is just ending so it may take a bit for them to answer your email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back