REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,216 of 1,326
huzzah!

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,218 of 1,326

Quote:
Hi everyone. I recently bought this little amp and really love it. Now I want to use it as a DAC for my speakers. Is there any chance I can bypass the amp section and use it as a DAC only??

Nope.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #1,219 of 1,326
So I found out that one of my stock tubes were broken and now I am running my Hifiman without tubes. I felt the stock tubes were too strong on the highs and want a more warmer sound. What tubes do you guys recommend me in getting? Or should I just save some money and run it without tubes? It actually sounds fine when I set my volume knob to max.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,220 of 1,326
Quote:
So I found out that one of my stock tubes were broken and now I am running my Hifiman without tubes. I felt the stock tubes were too strong on the highs and want a more warmer sound. What tubes do you guys recommend me in getting? Or should I just save some money and run it without tubes? It actually sounds fine when I set my volume knob to max.

Tubes aren't that expensive.  It's like running a turbo car without a turbo.  You can, buy why? 

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,221 of 1,326
I really like the Mullard 4010/8100 tubes in the EF2A. Warm, but not muddy. And not exotic or too spendy.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #1,222 of 1,326
I'm quite curious about the tube sound, and am considering getting the EF2A.

But I already have a Fiio e9+e10... so I'm wondering if getting another budget amp/DAC is worth the money.
I mean, the e9+e10 drive my HD 600, SR225i, ATH M50, and DT 770 Pro80's pretty well.
Will the EF2A do anything for me? Switching back and forth between the 2 amps, is there a significantly noticeable difference?

Thanks.

edit: Might the Little Dot MK II introduce me to the tube sound just the same, but at half the cost?

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,224 of 1,326
Quote:
I'm quite curious about the tube sound, and am considering getting the EF2A.

But I already have a Fiio e9+e10... so I'm wondering if getting another budget amp/DAC is worth the money.
I mean, the e9+e10 drive my HD 600, SR225i, ATH M50, and DT 770 Pro80's pretty well.
Will the EF2A do anything for me? Switching back and forth between the 2 amps, is there a significantly noticeable difference?

Thanks.

edit: Might the Little Dot MK II introduce me to the tube sound just the same, but at half the cost?

I might be wrong, but I believe that the LD MKII is just a tube amp, while the EF2A is a hybrid solidstate/tube amp with an integrated DAC.  I'd think that the Little Dot might a better choice for that classic "tube sound."  Can't say all that much since I've never heard a Little Dot amp, but they seem to be well regarded all things considered. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,225 of 1,326
I agree with MegaMushroom, If I were in your situation, I'd probably use the E10 as your dac and output to a dedicated tube amp (and likely not a hybrid unless I only had low impedance headphones). 

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,226 of 1,326
Want to see how others find the pairing of the EF2A and headphones I own... Very concerned about channel imbalance as well.

• D2000 - I don't find the mids to be too recessed, it is not as forward as say the HD580, but it isn't too bad. Highs are about borderline too bright. 
  • MS1000 - Mod from the Alessandro ms1. Requires a lot more volume to sound equally loud, as drivers are very far away from my ears.
  • HD580 - 
    L3000.gif
  • DT1350
  • ATH-EW9 - This one has some quite sibilant highs

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,227 of 1,326
Hey guys,

Finally just picked up an EF2A and am really excited about changing out the tubes once it arrives.  I was wondering if any of you guys out there can give me a cliffnote version on some of the other tubes I can use with this amp and basically what I can expect from each one.  I'm going to be using them with a pair of Denon D2000's if that will help.  Right now I'm mainly trying to decide between a pair of NOS Mullar CV4010's or Raytheo 6AK5W's.  Has anyone here used both of these tubes and can tell me which generally they liked better?  Also other suggestions of other tubes is greatly welcome too and if you could also provide me with where I could buy them at for the lowest price, that would be great too.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back