Review: Grado Statement 1000
Aug 1, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #62 of 211
Quote:

I can't see myself spending anymore money at the moment but if I ever want to upgrade, I think I may do this instead of looking for another headphone. At the moment I'm truely happy with my current setup of stock GS1000/HR-2. I'm going to play with a few opamps just to see what it does but the stock opamp (ad797) seems to work really well for my taste.

Well I found some opamp 627's laying around from my PPA days. I'm amazed at how different the GS1000 can sound based on how you amp it. Putting the 627 in reminded me more of how the RS-1 sound but that's also because it's the same opamp I used to use with them.

After playing around for a few days, I settled with the 627. The ad797 has a great groove but it seems to mask the mids and has a tighter soundstage. With the 627, the GS1000 can breath and really opens up with a very deap wide natural soundstage. The biggest difference is the mids really come alive. The GS1000 mid are not as prominant as the RS-1, so the 627 really brings them out. The 627 is still works great for rock but you're more focused on the guitars while the ad797 focuses on the drums. In the end, I need the guitars. The ad797 starts to sound a little muddy after I listen for a while. The 627 is also much better for all the slow stuff. Much more lush.

Sorry if this became a review of opamp but it does show how easy it is to change the GS1000 to your liking. I suppose that could be said for any headphone but the GS1000 shows the changes more so than the RS-1 would.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #63 of 211
No worries. I like talking opamps too. My CDP only uses 627's. My RA-1 doesn't of course, the Melos is 12au7/FET and the EAR is a SET using 4 6sl7s. I don't know how the GS-1k's do with an amp using various opamps but I will say that since going with the 627's in my cd player I have been a VERY happy camper.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #64 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I'm amazed at how different the GS1000 can sound based on how you amp it.
After playing around for a few days, I settled with the 627.

I totally agree with what you said. I've been using only the 627s the last couple weeks and haven't looked back. I found that the bass with the 797s a little too exaggerated for me. I have some LT opamps as well. My initial impressions were that the LTs weren't as good as the 627s for me, but I haven't spent any time with them really - well i haven't wanted to :p

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #65 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie
I totally agree with what you said. I've been using only the 627s the last couple weeks and haven't looked back. I found that the bass with the 797s a little too exaggerated for me. I have some LT opamps as well. My initial impressions were that the LTs weren't as good as the 627s for me, but I haven't spent any time with them really - well i haven't wanted to :p

The great thing about the GS1000 is the bass. The RS-1 with the 627 were just a little bass shy. Great impact but just a little thin. The GS1000 also has great bass impact but also have more presence and texture. With the ad797 the bass can be overpowering on some of the music. I think this is why some people were complaining about the bass, because they had their amp perfectly tuned for the RS-1 and now the bass is just too much with the GS1000.

I definitely prefer the HR-2/627 over the GS-1 amp with the GS1000. The 627 is more laid back and is very lush. The GS-1 was lightning fast and sharp. Probably the perfect match for the hd650.

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #66 of 211
Well I got home and started playing random tracks and I was missing the excitement. I put the ad797 back in and then everything more involving. I don't know if I can't make up my mind or I just depends on the type of music. I guess it's good to have a choice. The ad797 w/GS1000 does give the most realistic drums I've heard from a headphone. There just something right about it's impact. Ok, I'm done confusing everyone. I'll let Zanth get back to his work on PART II.

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #67 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Well I got home and started playing random tracks and I was missing the excitement. I put the ad797 back in and then everything more involving. I don't know if I can't make up my mind or I just depends on the type of music. I guess it's good to have a choice. The ad797 w/GS1000 does give the most realistic drums I've heard from a headphone. There just something right about it's impact. Ok, I'm done confusing everyone. I'll let Zanth get back to his work on PART II.

haha

I like the X-cans v.3 with Telefunken tubes. It puts out about a watt controlling the bass and also gives the tube musicality. I really wonder how the Mapletree Ear+ HD would work. I hear they work amazingly well with the RS-1 and other Grados.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #69 of 211
did i miss Part 2 of this? *looks*

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #70 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
did i miss Part 2 of this? *looks*

Give me time dude, give me time
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #71 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Give me time dude, give me time
biggrin.gif

a wise man once said, "Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Therefore I shall gladly wait
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #75 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what became of part 2...?!?
confused.gif

School, work, birth of daughter, more school, more work, life.

Not to worry. I have it on my "to complete before 2007" list but first, a major paper that was due in November is on my plate. Once that is out of the way, I'll start finishing up my reviews for Head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back