Review: Grado Statement 1000
Jul 28, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #46 of 211
Quote:

Yes, from a review from a leading Head-fi Grado guru to a review from a renown head-fi Grado hater --- and the hits just keep on coming!

LOL, well, how about "non-fan" as a designation for my status?
icon10.gif
I have a totally open mind toward the GS1000, I *want* them to perform well. I'm still looking for a "better" pair of headphones than my R10, and am shocked that it seems like after 15 years, we still have no dynamic headphone that can answer to them (IMHO). If there was a $25 pair of cans that could whup my R10s, I'd own them. If there's a $3K headphone that could whup them, I'd own that.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #47 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
LOL, well, how about "non-fan" as a designation for my status?
icon10.gif

[size=small]Just joshing you, Markl.
eggosmile.gif
Your honesty with respect to reviews is what makes your thoughts so interesting to me.
[/size]

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #48 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]Hi Boze,

Any word yet on how the GS1000 compares/contrasts with the HP1000 with respect to transparency and neutrality? In other words, is the HP1000 in danger of losing its crown as the transparency king?
gs1000.gif
[/size]

I will have to do a side by side comparison,but I would have to lean to the HP1000s being the more Neutral of the two,but I would lean towards the GS1000s as being more engaging emotionally.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #49 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
I will have to do a side by side comparison,but I would have to lean to the HP1000s being the more Neutral of the two,but I would lean towards the GS1000s as being more engaging emotionally.

[size=small]Thanks you so much. I'm just trying to gain a feel for transparency leaders since I prize this quality in audio gear.[/size]

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #50 of 211
That was only, uhhhh, Part I? There will be more?!?!?
gs1000.gif

Just incredible, Zanther man! I admire the effort, especially from someone who been in this hobby for so long and has so many other comitments (grad school, new baby, etc).

I tried not to read it all in too much detail because I want to be able to form my own thoughts on the GS-1000's once I get a chance to do some listening with them. My pair has the balanced Moon Audio Black Dragon cable, and I've had them for more than a month, but don't have any balanced amps to listen to at this point. I'm waiting on my SDS-XLR and Mikhail says the delivery date is now getting near!

Once I put in some time with them, I'll chime in on this thread. I can't imagine having the energy to write up one of similar depth myself, but you never know.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #51 of 211
Thanks for the detailed review, Zanth! Excellent read!

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #52 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]A delicious appetiser from one of our resident Grado Gurus! This member's appetite is sufficiently whetted as I await the comparison/contrast of the GS1K and the HP1000 with respect to transparency/neutrality and naturalness.
biggrin.gif
Also please explore the Headroom idea that these GS1K phones are only great for low volume enjoyment---it would be a crying shame if that were really true.
gs1000.gif
[/size]

Although I am generally also a low level listener, I do ocassionally raise the volume considerably on my amps - I for one have not experienced the bassiness Tyll spoke of originally in his review. My only guess (having experienced many of his amps and his crossfeed (which he loves) is that the Tyll's impressions may have been induced by Headroom crossfeed based listening (which boosts the bass considerably IMO) or the amp/can synergy. I know my HA-1 doesn't make the cans sound over-bassy when cranked, but I could never seem to get my SR-71 to match the GS1k's well specifically b/c the bass was way too boomy with that amp.

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #53 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Although I am generally also a low level listener, I do ocassionally raise the volume considerably on my amps - I for one have not experienced the bassiness Tyll spoke of originally in his review. My only guess (having experienced many of his amps and his crossfeed (which he loves) is that the Tyll's impressions may have been induced by Headroom crossfeed based listening (which boosts the bass considerably IMO) or the amp/can synergy. I know my HA-1 doesn't make the cans sound over-bassy when cranked, but I could never seem to get my SR-71 to match the GS1k's well specifically b/c the bass was way too boomy with that amp.

[size=small]Thanks, that's nice to know. I honestly didn't think of the crossfeed angle, and I certainly mean no disrespect to Tyll. I would just like to build up a small stable of transparent, highly resolving phones.[/size]

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #54 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I have a totally open mind toward the GS1000, I *want* them to perform well. If there's a $3K headphone that could whup them, I'd own that.

Black Dragon GS-1000, look no further, save yourself the $1750 bucks and buy a nice foot rest and chair
wink.gif

You were close to getting your replacement phones with the stock model GS 1000, but the BDGS1 is worth your time to audition markl, really.

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #55 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz

I really don't think Crossfeed is the problem. My GS1000 sounds absolutely fantastic out of the Total Bithead with crossfeed on.

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #56 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Black Dragon GS-1000, look no further, save yourself the $1750 bucks and buy a nice foot rest and chair
wink.gif

You were close to getting your replacement phones with the stock model GS 1000, but the BDGS1 is worth your time to audition markl, really.

Just wondering, can they upgrade the cable after you bought them or do you have to originally order them with the cable upgrade. I know it's done at Grado Labs, so that's why I ask.

I can't see myself spending anymore money at the moment but if I ever want to upgrade, I think I may do this instead of looking for another headphone. At the moment I'm truely happy with my current setup of stock GS1000/HR-2. I'm going to play with a few opamps just to see what it does but the stock opamp (ad797) seems to work really well for my taste.

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #58 of 211
Jul 28, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #59 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I could do a search but how much is the cable?

I'm not too sure. I'm considering going with the BD Cable as well, but it's a bit of a pain for me since I'm up in Canada and I have to deal with cross-border shipping. I'm in no rush, so I'm going to wait a bit.

The price depends on the length and possibly whether or not you want it balanced with an adapter. It'd be best if you email Drew from Moon-Audio.

There are some Black Dragon cable prices here:
http://www.moon-audio.com/ModHeadphones.htm

I saw that Drew was offering the pre-order GS-1000s Black Dragons with 10' cord for $1150, but I don't know if that's the case now. The regular BD GS-1000 price is $1250. His regular GS-1000 price is $995.

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #60 of 211
Great review!

I agree with your impressions. I especially like how you explained the midrange in comparison to the RS-1.

I do not hear any unnatural siblance either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back