Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #2,536 of 3,047
got my jaycars today!
horrible sound in the beginning, then after 7 hours of burn-in, very revealing and enjoyable. clamping is agonizing, does it get better over time? overall, extremely different than my grado sr80, still have to get used to them.. now i need a nice dac+amp, waiting for either the fiio e10 to get back in stock in dealextreme.com or for the fiio e15 to be ready or the oda+odac. any better or more immediate ideas?

for now i still like my open sr80 better.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,537 of 3,047
To help with clamping force let them stretch over a bowling ball for a night or two.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,538 of 3,047
Quote:
got my jaycars today!
horrible sound in the beginning, then after 7 hours of burn-in, very revealing and enjoyable. clamping is agonizing, does it get better over time? overall, extremely different than my grado sr80, still have to get used to them.. now i need a nice dac+amp, waiting for either the fiio e10 to get back in stock in dealextreme.com or for the fiio e15 to be ready or the oda+odac. any better or more immediate ideas?

I got my Jaycars today as well. My initial impressions are similar, I am starting to enjoy them after some initial burn in, I am a fan of the clamp however. Compared to my Ultrasone HFI-580 I think I still prefer the ultrasone. They seem more clear to me somehow, maybe its the bright treble, I will share some more impressions once I get used to the Jaycars sound and have them burn in for a little longer.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #2,539 of 3,047
Just got mine, shipping would have been 3 days to the UK but I had to pay VAT and we've just had a 4-day public holiday. Clamping force is pretty huge as others have stated, but I've never had fully circumaural headphones before so they're still ridiculously comfortable. Spare pair of pleather pads was a nice touch. Haven't really listened to them enough but they're definitely clearer than my old HD202s, and not as bass-free as I'd expected!

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2,540 of 3,047
I'm looking for my first set of nicer headphones and have gotten my choices down to the Fishcer FA-003 (or clone), Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.  I will be using them primarily at home plugged into a JDS Labs Objective2 / ObjectiveDAC.  They will see split duty between music, movies and games.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also is the general concensus that the Jaycars are just as good as the Fischers?

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,541 of 3,047
They're the same cans.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,542 of 3,047
Quote:
got my jaycars today!

Quote:
I got my Jaycars today as well. My initial impressions are similar, I am starting to enjoy them after some initial burn in, I am a fan of the clamp however. Compared to my Ultrasone HFI-580 I think I still prefer the ultrasone. They seem more clear to me somehow, maybe its the bright treble, I will share some more impressions once I get used to the Jaycars sound and have them burn in for a little longer.

If one of ya'll live in theUS how much was it with shipping and customs?

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,543 of 3,047
To Chicago, it was $50, plus $20 Shipping.  Sooo...  $70 USD to my door in 8 days.

Oh and I have about 35 hours of burn in so far.  I am LOVING them.  Neutrally Warm is how I would describe the signature.  I just wish I could buy Velor pads for them.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #2,544 of 3,047
The Jaycar was muddy in the beginning. After some run-in everything improved but the level of detail still lack behind my Sony MDR 7506 with DT 250 pad mod. The Jaycar was much more organic sounding with noticably fuller mid-range, actually its sound remind me of the Beyerdynamic DT150, at a fraction of the cost.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,545 of 3,047
^ These cans like hours... trust me.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,546 of 3,047
I'm looking for my first set of nicer headphones and have gotten my choices down to the Fishcer FA-003 (or clone), Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.  I will be using them primarily at home plugged into a JDS Labs Objective2 / ObjectiveDAC.  They will see split duty between music, movies and games.

Also is the general concensus that the Jaycars are just as good as the Fischers?

After burn in I don't hear any difference between them. I still prefer the Fischer leather pads

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2,549 of 3,047
Quote:
Nope, sorry. But for any UK people.. the grand total is 32 quid, which is around $49. I have no idea why it is so much cheaper to the UK compared to the US though.

Should point out that you'll have to pay VAT on arrival, and DHL won't deliver until you've paid it (bit annoying, I'm sure they used to invoice you after delivery). Was only £6-7 though, their admin fees are much cheaper than Royal Mail's.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,550 of 3,047
Quote:

I can't comment on AD900, since I haven't heard them, but I owned FA-003 and now have DT990 Pro. My choice is DT990 Pro hands down, although FA-003 is a good closed back dynamic headphone for the price. They sound very different, but DT990 is quite a bit better in overall sound quality IMO. FA-003 is more neutral, while DT990 Pro has a lot more emphasis on mid bass and mid to upper treble. If you can get over the DT990's smiley face EQ curve however, I feel that it has a lot more to offer than FA-003. DT990 has a much larger, wider and deeper soundstage than FA-003 with much better imaging as well - the Beyers really take advantage of their open back design. Moreover, DT990 is significantly more detailed, more dynamic, more delicate and refined, especially in the higher frequencies. The bass on FA-003 is very nice actually and perhaps tighter and better defined than that of DT990 Pro, but the latter is more textured, more spacious and better layered. Overall, not much contest IMO - DT990 Pro wins in almost everything to my ears.With a half decent equalizer, the bass and treble can be tamed down nicely if they will sound overly present too you. FA-003 is only really better if you need the isolation. Also, DT990 pro sounds almost the same as the premium edition at a much lower price, so they are a great value too - maybe the best sounding headphone you can get under $200. I also prefer them to DT880 Premium 250 and 600 Ohm that I owned and I believe they rival or even surpass my Hifiman HE-500 in many aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back