Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jun 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #2,552 of 3,047
How does the FA-003 handle gaming and classical music? Would the FA-011 do better?

The FA-003s have a bit of an odd resonance @200-300Hz, not sure how that would affect game sound. However, they are very good with most classical. The FA-011s are very bassy and that may detract from FPS play, and they're rather poor with classical. Their mids and lower treble are far too colored. Between them, I'd get the FA-003s.

Personally, I'd get the AKG Q701s. Fantastic imaging, wonderfully balanced, and really comfortable. Best gaming cans for around $200, no lie, and they're very good with classical too.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #2,553 of 3,047
Quote:
How does the FA-003 handle gaming and classical music? Would the FA-011 do better?

Usually open (FA-011) sound better then closed (FA-003), usually.
I've owned the Brainwarz HM5 (renamed FA-003) for 4 days, really great closed headphone for watching (Blu-ray) movies.
The bass is just strong enough to sound good, but not overpowering like my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,554 of 3,047
I'm looking for my first set of nicer headphones and have gotten my choices down to the Fishcer FA-003 (or clone), Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.  I will be using them primarily at home plugged into a JDS Labs Objective2 / ObjectiveDAC.  They will see split duty between music, movies and games.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also is the general concensus that the Jaycars are just as good as the Fischers?

I can't comment on AD900, since I haven't heard them, but I owned FA-003 and now have DT990 Pro. My choice is DT990 Pro hands down, although FA-003 is a good closed back dynamic headphone for the price. They sound very different, but DT990 is quite a bit better in overall sound quality IMO. FA-003 is more neutral, while DT990 Pro has a lot more emphasis on mid bass and mid to upper treble. If you can get over the DT990's smiley face EQ curve however, I feel that it has a lot more to offer than FA-003. DT990 has a much larger, wider and deeper soundstage than FA-003 with much better imaging as well - the Beyers really take advantage of their open back design. Moreover, DT990 is significantly more detailed, more dynamic, more delicate and refined, especially in the higher frequencies. The bass on FA-003 is very nice actually and perhaps tighter and better defined than that of DT990 Pro, but the latter is more textured, more spacious and better layered. Overall, not much contest IMO - DT990 Pro wins in almost everything to my ears.With a half decent equalizer, the bass and treble can be tamed down nicely if they will sound overly present too you. FA-003 is only really better if you need the isolation. Also, DT990 pro sounds almost the same as the premium edition at a much lower price, so they are a great value too - maybe the best sounding headphone you can get under $200. I also prefer them to DT880 Premium 250 and 600 Ohm that I owned and I believe they rival or even surpass my Hifiman HE-500 in many aspects.

That's interesting. How would you compare fa-003 mids to dt990?

Also are there people that own both fa-003/clones and akg k702/701? How would you compare these two cans?

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,555 of 3,047
Quote:
That's interesting. How would you compare fa-003 mids to dt990?
Also are there people that own both fa-003/clones and akg k702/701? How would you compare these two cans?

Actually, the midrange is where I find the DT990 Pros can give even high end planar magnetics like my HE-500 a run for their money - the mids are just so detailed, transparent and natural sounding. FA-003 also has good mids - they are very clean sounding and quite even, but DT990 Pro takes the transparency to a whole different level. The only problem I have with DT990 Pro is the somewhat loose bass - it's not too bad at all, but not quite as tight as I would've liked. My reference for bass definition is Etymotic ER4 and DT990 Pro is definitely not as tight. FA-003 is not as tight as ER4 at the bottom either, but probably a bit better than DT990 Pro in this regard. The detail in the low end as well as in the rest of the spectrum are really great on the Beyers however. They allow you to differentiate really well between the different types of drums and it's very easy to pick out all the bass lines even in most complex music passages. The pitch definition is fantastic. Actually, the quantity of bass is really not much larger than that of FA-003 - both are somewhat emphasized in the lows and DT990 Pro is just a bit more present down there than FA-003, but neither is a bass monster or even a what I would consider a bass heavy headphone.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,556 of 3,047
Quote:
Actually, the midrange is where I find the DT990 Pros can give even high end planar magnetics like my HE-500 a run for their money - the mids are just so detailed, transparent and natural sounding. FA-003 also has good mids - they are very clean sounding and quite even, but DT990 Pro takes the transparency to a whole different level. The only problem I have with DT990 Pro is the somewhat loose bass - it's not too bad at all, but not quite as tight as I would've liked. My reference for bass definition is Etymotic ER4 and DT990 Pro is definitely not as tight. FA-003 is not as tight as ER4 at the bottom either, but probably a bit better than DT990 Pro in this regard. The detail in the low end as well as in the rest of the spectrum are really great on the Beyers however. They allow you to differentiate really well between the different types of drums and it's very easy to pick out all the bass lines even in most complex music passages. The pitch definition is fantastic. Actually, the quantity of bass is really not much larger than that of FA-003 - both are somewhat emphasized in the lows and DT990 Pro is just a bit more present down there than FA-003, but neither is a bass monster or even a what I would consider a bass heavy headphone.

Wow. Thanks. I'm convinced to try DT990 Pro 250ohm. o_O
What ~$60 DIY amps could you recommend for it?

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,557 of 3,047
Quote:
Wow. Thanks. I'm convinced to try DT990 Pro 250ohm. o_O
What ~$60 DIY amps could you recommend for it?

On Amazon, there are some pre-built Muse single tube headphone amplifiers for just over $60.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #2,558 of 3,047
Whoa. Holy cow.
basshead.gif
 I left my FA-003 on max volume to burn in for a few hours. I put some bassy songs on loop and went on with my business.... Got back, played Pink Floyd - Echoes. And whoa. Bass. It got deeper, bigger. Also, sounds like something happened to the soundstage. Please someone try this and report back. I hope I'm not crazy.
confused.gif
 If you got bored with your fa-003s/clones or don't like them at all, try this experiment.
L3000.gif
 Leave them with bassy music for a few days... 

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,560 of 3,047
I was not a big fan of the "Digitech" logo on the JayCar's.  Very easy to remove though.  I was careful and did not scrape them at all. 

I just took my time, slightly pressing at each letter until they popped off.  They are not indented into the headphones at all.  Just SUPER thin metal letters. 

During:

After:

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2,562 of 3,047
Great tip BloodyPenguin, I did this right after I read your post.  Digitech just sounds and looks cheesy, digtial + technology, lol.  Looks so much better completely OEM!

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2,564 of 3,047
BloodyPenguin Thank-you so much. I thought they wete imbedded into the plastic not just stickers. You were right, they came off real easy. Thought i scratched them at first but it was just left over glue. That was the only thing I really did not like about these headphones. On a side note anyone know if the pads will fit a pair of m audio q40. The pad comfort alone has made the yogas my favorite headphone.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #2,565 of 3,047
Quote:

Nice work! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Great tip BloodyPenguin, I did this right after I read your post.  Digitech just sounds and looks cheesy, digtial + technology, lol.  Looks so much better completely OEM!

Quote:
Man, now I'm gonna try to remove Digitech and scratch mine up for sure.

Quote:
BloodyPenguin Thank-you so much. I thought they wete imbedded into the plastic not just stickers. You were right, they came off real easy. Thought i scratched them at first but it was just left over glue. That was the only thing I really did not like about these headphones. On a side note anyone know if the pads will fit a pair of m audio q40. The pad comfort alone has made the yogas my favorite headphone.

Glad I was able to help.  Yeah, it looks SOOO much better OEM. 

Next step is to figure out how to get some Fischer, or Fischer type Velour Pads for the JayCars.

EDIT:  And I already got the spare smaller Brainwavz 1.3m cable.  $9.50 shipped, not bad:  http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-cable-1-3m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back