Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #843 of 3,047
Artist - Donald Fagen
Song - Mary Shut the Garden Door (live)
Album - Morph the Cat

Sounding quite nice...good stuff

Now to keep myself from posting up random thoughts (couldn't help myself on this one.) I will let these continue to break in...

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #845 of 3,047
Quote:
Quote:
Senn HD-600 but IMHO, it sounds worse than the FA-003.

I concur!

Dang, that's what I feared... and once I shell out for a decent amp, my estimate of 3-4x cost over the FA-003 looks about right. From the few reviews I've read, I was hoping the HD558 would be similar enough... Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
I'll be ordering either the FA-003 or an FA-002w today, and I'm looking for some insight on a good AMP to drive these with. I assume any amp know to drive low impedance cans would work fairly well - but I'm interested in your experiences. FA-00* users - what amps have you used and how did they perform? Thanks in advance for your response.

I don't have much experience with amps, but I can say the Mini3 opens up the soundstage, gives instruments more separation, and clears up the slight muddiness when unamped. It's not a night and day difference, but considering how minimal most source upgrades tend to be, I'd say it's very noticeable.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #846 of 3,047
I have tried some of the bigger names in the headphone market (senns, denon, shure grado) at the same price range and one or two levels higher. The FA-003 was definitely the best bang for buck

Quote:
Would the FA-003 be considered as the best bang for the buck HP on the market at this price-point right now?

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #847 of 3,047
Thanks spaceconvoy, I'll check out the Mini3. Ordered a Beech FA-002W today. Ordering an Music Streamer II+ and just need to lock in o a good amp for my work rig. I have an Asgard driving some Denon's (D2000) fed by a MSII+ at home, and I'm quite happy with it. If what I've read about the FA-00* series is true, I may have to 'flip it' and use this setup at home. I suspect the Asgard would drive the FA cans quite well - but I want to try out different amps to get a better sense for what I prefer.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #848 of 3,047
So... I just changed wood cups to plastic cups. And I can immediately say that paying $50 for LBR cups is really worth it.

With plastic FA-003 cups sound is less holographic, soundstage lost some deepness. Also these cups do something to midrange. Vocals sound less realistic.... 

With wood cups sound is much more enjoyable for me.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #849 of 3,047
Quote:
Thanks spaceconvoy, I'll check out the Mini3. Ordered a Beech FA-002W today. Ordering an Music Streamer II+ and just need to lock in o a good amp for my work rig. I have an Asgard driving some Denon's (D2000) fed by a MSII+ at home, and I'm quite happy with it. If what I've read about the FA-00* series is true, I may have to 'flip it' and use this setup at home. I suspect the Asgard would drive the FA cans quite well - but I want to try out different amps to get a better sense for what I prefer.

Haha, forget about the Mini3 then - it's the best portable option for cheapskates, but there's no reason to even look at it if you can make space for a desktop amp.

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #850 of 3,047
Finally I finished new cable for woodies.

Removed that holder:
dscn7232e.jpg

Couldn't resist....
dscn7233.jpg

Neutrik NYS226 fits perfectly:
dscn7234j.jpg

dscn7236r.jpg

dscn7239.jpg

Parts used: Canare Star Quad L-4E6S wire, Neutrik NP3X 1/4" plug, Neutrik NYS226 1/8 mono plugs, Cardas Quad Eutectic Silver Solder, 1/8" Carbon Techflex (I think 1/8" is too small....)

I'm very satisfied with these headphones.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #851 of 3,047
Very nice, makes the headphones stand out and seems to add an image of prestige! Wish I had the balls to do that to mine!, I'm still deciding whether I prefer the Velour or Leather pads hahahaha
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #853 of 3,047
Quote:
Thanks. It gives me a place to start looking for some pads. I'm hoping to be able to find a ruler somewhere as I did like the J money pads for Denon but not sure if they will fit so I'll measure and then send a message.

Did you or has anyone gotten to try J$ pads on the FA003?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back