Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #826 of 3,047

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
anyone know what's the open equivalent of the FA-003?  
biggrin.gif

The FA-002.

I can't tell if you're being obtuse or pedantic... No, I mean what open headphone has a similar sound signature to the FA-003s. 

Well the FA002s have the same drivers as the FA003, and are open, so...
but so far, it seems like most people compare the sound signature as similar to HD580/600s.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #827 of 3,047
Quote:
i only saw fa-002ws i couldnt see fa-003ws =\

There are no woodied FA-003's...just FA-002's. They are the same headphone. The only difference is that the FA-003 has a solid shell to make them closed and the FA-002 has a perforated shell to make them open. They add the wood cups to the FA-002 and call them the FA-002w. If you put a wood cup on the FA-003 it would be the exact same as the FA-002w.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #828 of 3,047
Feb 14, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #831 of 3,047
I use the same dac/amp but with a different opamp than the stock. I like the dac/amp with the FA-003 however I wouldn't call them bright at all. I will eventually upgrade the amp section but I'm keeping the dac until I get something like the HD800 level of headphones. The dac section according to a head-fi member who has an opinion I trust a lot says it is quite good and no reason to upgrade until you have a couple of the best headphones money can buy.

Also 12 oclock is pretty loud isn't it? Mine is nowhere near that high and usually doesn't even approach 9.

After playing the mx-1 through for a few hours.. it surely enough lost that slightly bright-leaning sound and sounds quite balanced now.. lovely!  I really enjoy the added instrument separation and gain in clarity the mx-1 produces, too.  What op-amp have you found to be your favorite, rawster?

I'm with you on the DAC section, I think it's fantastic and probably will serve as an excellent solution for quite a few HP upgrades.  It's widely-praised here at HF too.  Even the amp section is solid.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #833 of 3,047
Feb 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #834 of 3,047
I'll be ordering either the FA-003 or an FA-002w today, and I'm looking for some insight on a good AMP to drive these with. I assume any amp know to drive low impedance cans would work fairly well - but I'm interested in your experiences. FA-00* users - what amps have you used and how did they perform? Thanks in advance for your response.

Mike

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #835 of 3,047
Well, according to my roommate who is home right now, my 003s just arrived. For reference; original order date Jan 30th arriving in Texas on Feb 14th. Will have this hooked up and burning in via Audinst HUD-MX1 with either a Matrix M-Stage or KICAS. We'll see which amp makes the cut and which makes the FS forum
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #836 of 3,047
Feb 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #838 of 3,047
Finally, the rest of my packages arrived...the FA-002w are on my head breaking in! By the way, mine came also came with the w/the FA-003 cups. The first thing I thought of when I looked in the mirror (as I believe someone else mentioned in another forum) is "clearing runway 5 for landing"! Nerd alert! My wife already knows I am a head-fi/hi-fi geek. Oh well, I will get over it...

Not bad so far. They definitely have promise, but still need some break-in (mechanical and mental, IMO.) Relatively punchy bass, somewhat detailed and pretty clear - but somewhat closed and a bit rough around the edges like any new headphones (particuarly good dynamic HPs IME.) I think they will need more power than the U-DAC (mainly the headroom to drive these effortlessly, as they sound a bit "cluttered" in complex passages.)

I am only running them through a UDAC-2 from my laptop/Pandora...still determining which amp I will go with, so I will be interested in Treal512s thoughts as I have thought about the M-Stage and KICAS (among others)...

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #840 of 3,047
My M-Stage needs some warranty work because of shipping damage and the KICAS is en route, so I will keep you guys updated once things get situated and burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back