Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #856 of 3,047
From what I read on Head-fi, definitely get them. Here is LFF's point of view. (This directly comes from my Private Message inbox)

By LFF
There is a noticeable sound improvement with the wood cups but you can always order them separately in the future. The sound is refined in that it has a nice textural smoothness to them that is lacking in the stock cups. Here is an example. If you play QUEEN's "Killer Queen" there is some finger snaps at the beginning of the song. With the stock cups, the snaps sound fine. With the wood cups, they sound real. In some instances you will notice the difference between what sounds like a mighty fine recording and what sounds like a living breathing person. There is a reason why instruments are made of wood.
wink_face.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #858 of 3,047
I'd bite, but the ones I want are 2 bills -_-

Btw, how much larger are the wood cups compared to the stock closed cups?

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #862 of 3,047
Which...the FA-003 or FA-002w?

Here are a few shots I found...maybe they will help a little...

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #863 of 3,047
eimis, if I decide want to venture into a different cable than the stock just regular neutrik mono plugs would fit without any issues? How secure is the cable?

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #864 of 3,047
I'm considering getting a pair of the fa-002w. I'm torn between which cups to get. The 5 step amphitheater cups are a lot less than the 8 stepped ones. I wonder if there would be a difference in sound between them. And if there is a difference, would it justify the premium between them. I sent an email to the retailer. All he said was the 8 step provides more dampening. So whether or not this translates into a significant improvement in sound I don't know.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #865 of 3,047
If dampening is the only improvement I wonder if adding a small amount of Dynamat to the 5 step would bring it up to the level of the 8 step...not that I can compare but perhaps once I have had some time with my 5 step woodies I'll try the Dynamat and see if there is improvement.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #866 of 3,047
My limit financially was about $250usd.  That's why I went for the woodies, cheapest.  My thinking was that wood, 5 stepped, must damp better than plastic, and more than marginally.  Now going to 8step?  I can't see a huge difference happening.  I guess it depends on finances.  If I were a king, 8 step!  

BTW, my cans should arrive tomorrow or Friday.  The delay, for anyone who cares, is all related to Canada Customs, etc.  It was 9 days to the country, now we are 19 days until expected arrival. At the same time, I am happy to wait, as I really wanted the woodies versus the Bugden available plastic cups.  

Has anyone discovered a basic cable replacement option?  I'd like to shorten the cable, but lacks the skills. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #867 of 3,047
Another thing to think about is, would more dampening also reduce bass quantity. The bass may be tighter with the more dampening, but it may also be less output. If the bass is already tight with the 5 stepped ones, then I might prefer the sound of those over the 8 stepped anyway. But there no way to know for sure.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #868 of 3,047
Just so guys know, different woods have different densities and will impact different frequencies within the spectrum in different ways.  Just saying.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #870 of 3,047

Quote:
Which...the FA-003 or FA-002w?

Here are a few shots I found...maybe they will help a little...

Odd - they don't look much bigger than the DT880 (which are relatively small as far as full-size sets are concerned) and yet they look positively enormous on those heads. Maybe they just use small model heads. Glad to see they are not as enormously large as I thought, though. Maybe I should try these out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back