[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #271 of 296
Quote:
How do the 4/40s compare to the Westone 4Rs? Are they a side grade?

Totally writing that review as we speak! I don't think they are a side grade, I would consider the 4R a slight upgrade, but they are different enough in signature that people may prefer one or the other depending on how much you like good sub bass (XBA-40)

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #272 of 296
Hi guys,

I've finally got the chance to audition the EX1000 and EX7550 this morning. Individually, I found that these phones showed almost every details that a_recording had pointed in this thread. Nevertheless, it was the comparison that pained me.

Unlike the infamous difference in treble that are widely confirmed in this forum, my ears didn't detect any shrill or sibilance on the EX1000. on the contrary, it was the bass that made the difference. On the EX1000, although I felt that the bass didn't dive enough, its amount and impact pleased me. On the EX7550, the bass appeared a bit too tight or harsh for me. Is it odd or just me being myself?

I almost made the purchase of EX1000 this morning but managed to hold back, partly because of its price. Both phones are used and in good condition with all their accessories. The EX7550 is priced at ~$181 while the EX1000 is priced at ~$302 with an extra cabled thrown in.

About the cable, the seller told me that the EX1000 belonged to one of the very first batches, made in Japan and were attached with proper EX1000 cable while the later batches were equipped with EX600 cable. Could anyone confirm this for me?

To my ears, I definitely prefer the EX1000 a bit more than the EX7550. They sound quite like my SRH840 but with more images and life. However, re-reading again how Head-fiers praise the EX7550 for their neutrality and their tolerance for many genres, it got me wonder again since I'm also looking for neutrality.

Mind you that I'm still a newbie in these parts, this purchase is likely to be only my 3rd phones. Prior to these, I've got SRH840 for home use, GR07 for excercising. I currently use Clip Zip but my friend will give me a X1061 and an iPod Classic.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #273 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, re-reading again how Head-fiers praise the EX7550 for their neutrality and their tolerance for many genres, it got me wonder again since I'm also looking for neutrality.

Not re-reading how Head-fiers praise but re-hearing yourself. Trust your ears then you are safe.
wink_face.gif

Good luck with your decision.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #274 of 296
Hi newbie here. Just joined and would like to say thanks for a great review and interesting reading!

I recently got on to a deal here in Australia and snagged a set of XBA-4 for $80.

My source is a Samsung S3 4G/LTE (i9305). I'm assuming it has the same DAC and output impedance as the normal international Samsung S3 (i9300).

I've noted that some people said that they were satisfied with the pairing of the S3 and XBA-4, but I would like to get the best of these IEMs.

The S3 supports USB DACs.

Can anyone suggest a good AMP or USB DAC/AMP to work with the S3 and XBA-4?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #275 of 296
I
Hi guys,

I've finally got the chance to audition the EX1000 and EX7550 this morning. Individually, I found that these phones showed almost every details that a_recording had pointed in this thread. Nevertheless, it was the comparison that pained me.

Unlike the infamous difference in treble that are widely confirmed in this forum, my ears didn't detect any shrill or sibilance on the EX1000. on the contrary, it was the bass that made the difference. On the EX1000, although I felt that the bass didn't dive enough, its amount and impact pleased me. On the EX7550, the bass appeared a bit too tight or harsh for me. Is it odd or just me being myself?

I almost made the purchase of EX1000 this morning but managed to hold back, partly because of its price. Both phones are used and in good condition with all their accessories. The EX7550 is priced at ~$181 while the EX1000 is priced at ~$302 with an extra cabled thrown in.

About the cable, the seller told me that the EX1000 belonged to one of the very first batches, made in Japan and were attached with proper EX1000 cable while the later batches were equipped with EX600 cable. Could anyone confirm this for me?

To my ears, I definitely prefer the EX1000 a bit more than the EX7550. They sound quite like my SRH840 but with more images and life. However, re-reading again how Head-fiers praise the EX7550 for their neutrality and their tolerance for many genres, it got me wonder again since I'm also looking for neutrality.

Mind you that I'm still a newbie in these parts, this purchase is likely to be only my 3rd phones. Prior to these, I've got SRH840 for home use, GR07 for excercising. I currently use Clip Zip but my friend will give me a X1061 and an iPod Classic.

Nice thoughts there... but I have to ask, was there something you didn't like about the GR07? I would consider all three of these headphones to be on a very similar tier. Is honestly be inclined to stick with the GR07 and save some money...

If you want something a bit different why not go for the RE-400?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #276 of 296
Quote:

Not re-reading how Head-fiers praise but re-hearing yourself. Trust your ears then you are safe.
wink_face.gif

Good luck with your decision.

I do trust my ears. After all, I buy phones to please them. However, I just want to gain knowledge at the same time. It is also interesting to note that buying headphones, along with a very few fields, requires subjective criticism.
Quote:
Nice thoughts there... but I have to ask, was there something you didn't like about the GR07? I would consider all three of these headphones to be on a very similar tier. Is honestly be inclined to stick with the GR07 and save some money...

If you want something a bit different why not go for the RE-400?

The GR07 would have been perfect if I hadn't try the EX1000 on. If I have to describe it in my own terms, listening to the GR07 is like seeing a photo but trying the EX1000 is like watching a film. Perhaps EX1000 are not the best in relaying details to listeners but as a whole feeling, everything just comes to live.

In this contest, the RE-400 fell really short for my liking. I found everything was too tight with them, like the hammering sound on an anvil. The XBA-30 and the Flat-4-Sui came pretty close it was always the bass that bugged me. Turned out I might not be a basshead but its opposite.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #277 of 296
Quote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
The GR07 would have been perfect if I hadn't try the EX1000 on. If I have to describe it in my own terms, listening to the GR07 is like seeing a photo but trying the EX1000 is like watching a film. Perhaps EX1000 are not the best in relaying details to listeners but as a whole feeling, everything just comes to live.

Have to agree with your impressions, if you can take the EX1000's treble (I can :wink:, they're overall preferable to the 7550 and GR07.

Regarding the cable, afaik it's not a question of earlier and later batches. The Japanese and EU version have the more expensive cable, whereas the US version has the cheaper one. I don't remember anyone reporting a significant sonic difference though.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #278 of 296
Quote:
I do trust my ears. After all, I buy phones to please them. However, I just want to gain knowledge at the same time. It is also interesting to note that buying headphones, along with a very few fields, requires subjective criticism.

Ah sorry! I misunderstood your original comment, I thought you didn't actually like the EX1000. If you like the EX1000, go for it. It's got a pretty unique sound. I don't really like the treble myself but I keep it as a collectors item.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #279 of 296
To be honest I consider treble to be the shining spot for the EX1000. With that said, you need to get the quality source and quality digital feed. One thing I have learned is a good source will make your other gears not just look good but sound good. I am pairing the EX1000 with my super diymod, super diylod and the UHA-6S MK2, and I am having hard time to convince my wallet to donate for other gears.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #283 of 296
  I have an impedance adapter adding 320Ohms of resistance. Do you think it would solve the problem with the 8Ohms XBA-40?

Adding impedance between the earphone and the amplifier is essentially the same as adding output impedance to the amplifier. If you look at the graphs from goldenears they demonstrate what happens with increasing amounts of output impedance. Essentially the more impedance you add the less bass you will get out of the XBA-40.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #284 of 296
Hey everyone, I just put a deposit down for the XBA-4ip. It was the last one they had at the Sony store and for an amazing deal ($129) so I had to put a deposit down for them to hold it for me. I really enjoy EDM and using these as my daily when I'm not listening to acoustics or vocals. However, what is discouraging me is that it seems to be very source dependant and all the impedance talk has gotten my head going around in circles. To be straightforward, I currently run an iPod Classic 6G with either Fiio E06 or E07k and also with my laptop with the E07k as a DAC. Do any of you guys have any experience with these set-ups or know how well they pair together with the XBA-4? I really want to know before I pull the trigger on these because I am not able to try it on in person as the box is sealed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back