[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
Jun 24, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #257 of 296
I have used a lot the XBA-4 with the F and it's a good pairing, but to be honest now I don't use so much my F-807, i have a more "fun" sound with my Galaxy Note2 (Wolfson) coupled with Noozxoide EIZO-rewire™ PRO, and this with the XB4 and the IE80.

For me the only area's where the F is better is in soundstage and stock sound (without equalizer or effects), every think else for me is better on the Note 2 when using Noozxoide.

But sound is a very personal taste and many will disagree with me !

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #258 of 296
Quote:
I have used a lot the XBA-4 with the F and it's a good pairing, but to be honest now I don't use so much my F-807, i have a more "fun" sound with my Galaxy Note2 (Wolfson) coupled with Noozxoide EIZO-rewire™ PRO, and this with the XB4 and the IE80.

For me the only area's where the F is better is in soundstage and stock sound (without equalizer or effects), every think else for me is better on the Note 2 when using Noozxoide.

But sound is a very personal taste and many will disagree with me !

I just got my XBA-4SL and boy do they sound sensual paired with my Walkman F! I would recommend this setup the synergy is spot on. 
@Miguo67, I am going to give Noozxoide a try, thanks. (nevermind, it is not compatible 
basshead.gif
)

in Addition, when you wear them flipped (cable around ear) they isolate really well, stay in your ear perfectly, and are exceptionally comfortable. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #259 of 296
For those of you that have the XBA-4, what do you find is the best way to wear them? I have the XBA-4SL if that matters. Has anybody tried wearing them over the ear using ear guides? If not, how do you guys think that would work?

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #260 of 296
Quote:
For those of you that have the XBA-4, what do you find is the best way to wear them? I have the XBA-4SL if that matters. Has anybody tried wearing them over the ear using ear guides? If not, how do you guys think that would work?

I actually wear the XBA-4SL over the ear without ear guides. Works pretty well for me (large ears).

@a_rec: finally got to try these... great review, spot-on conclusion regarding EX1000 vs. XBA-4 for portable use. Though I must say, it's been a long time since I've heard something as screwed up in timbre as the XBA-4 from a flat source, lol.
wink.gif

Rin's EQ recommendation works great though and I think I might end up preferring these over the XBA-3 once I've found the ideal EQ settings. Sub-bass is awe-inspiring for BAs, even compared to the 334s... 
basshead.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #261 of 296
Quote:
Hi I was wondering ...... You don't by chance have the iPhone 5 ?
and if so dose the C5 sound better/more detailed then iphone 5 when using XBA-40's
( will I get the wow factor that I'm after
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I recently got the fiio E12 which got good reviews paired with XBA-40's on a few threads I've read here.
But to my ears are no contest to iPhone 5
For just a great more detailed sound,

ps, I have XBA-4's and assume will preform similar to the 40's

Sorry haven't got time to go online much.
I don't have the Iphone 5 but I do have Ipod classic 4G, will find LOD cable then try XBA40 with Arrow 4G this weekend to find down.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #262 of 296
a realisation"
I Can't believe it"
The standard iphone 5 iem's sound nearly as good as xba 4's....... LOL ( direct from phone )
First time I tryed them.......LOL

My gosh" ....... I've been kidding my self
( unbelievable ) ... LOL
Now I feel I have to get the C5 so as to hear some awesomeness from xba 4's and justify
spending so much $$$ on them .... ***'
:frowning2:

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #263 of 296
Quote:
a realisation"
I Can't believe it"
The standard iphone 5 iem's sound nearly as good as xba 4's....... LOL ( direct from phone )
First time I tryed them.......LOL

My gosh" ....... I've been kidding my self
( unbelievable ) ... LOL
Now I feel I have to get the C5 so as to hear some awesomeness from xba 4's and justify
spending so much $$$ on them .... ***'
frown.gif

Like I said above, the XBA-4s from a flat source are severely screwed up IEMs imo.

Get a decent EQ app, follow Rin's recommendation (ON SECOND THOUGHT #5) and start hearing the awesomeness.
(... or put them on the FS forum and get the XBA-3, if you refuse to EQ).

My preference:
Unequalized: XBA-3 >> XBA-4
Equalized: XBA-4 > XBA-3

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #268 of 296
Quote:
I actually wear the XBA-4SL over the ear without ear guides. Works pretty well for me (large ears).

@a_rec: finally got to try these... great review, spot-on conclusion regarding EX1000 vs. XBA-4 for portable use. Though I must say, it's been a long time since I've heard something as screwed up in timbre as the XBA-4 from a flat source, lol.
wink.gif

Rin's EQ recommendation works great though and I think I might end up preferring these over the XBA-3 once I've found the ideal EQ settings. Sub-bass is awe-inspiring for BAs, even compared to the 334s... 
basshead.gif

Whoops, this fell off my subscriptions list!

Glad to hear you got them James. The sub-bass is slightly more intense on the XBA-40's haha.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #269 of 296
Quote:
Whoops, this fell off my subscriptions list!

Glad to hear you got them James. The sub-bass is slightly more intense on the XBA-40's haha.

Believe it or not, these are currently my favorite IEMs for commuting. Good isolation and excellent smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing sound with EQ.

For those who're not anal about EQing, probably one of the best bang / buck out there. Btw, here are the settings I use with Neutron Music Player:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back