[review/comparison] Phiaton showdown: MS 300 -vs- MS 400 -vs- PS 500
Dec 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 102
You know what, it seems they do have the all black version! But I've only personally seen the red ones.

May purchase one eventually when I need closed cans again.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #32 of 102

Quote:
I really like the 400s and the carbon fiber finish. 

How is the bass of these compared to M50s?

The MS 400 has stronger bass in almost all categories (though I wouldn't say the difference is huge). More thump, better rumble, and more "fullness". Greatly affecting how you'll hear the difference is also how you deal with circumaural vs supraaural.

Quote:
Don't they have black leather instead of red?

A black MS400 was announced last month... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521404/streetgiant-com-posts-pictures-of-the-new-phiaton-ms-400-black
I've seen the black ones on Amazon (US), but haven't really shopped around for them. They don't have any retailers in Canada either as far as I'm aware.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #34 of 102
another note to self: create table comparing specs...
MSRP
earpad dimensions
weight
impedance
sensitivity
driver
etc

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #35 of 102
I just discovered that you can fit the Shure SRH840 pads on the PS 500. Awesome! They are a bit firmer (good or bad depending on your head shape), but isolation improves noticeably.

If you stretch them a bit, you might be able to get M50 pads to fit as well (since they are a tiny bit smaller), but why would you when the 840 pads are better?

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 102
When I had the MS300s, I thought that the mids sound quite off, almost to a nasal-like quality. Do the bigger brothers share almost the same sound signature? I'd like to try both the 400s and 500s, but would save me the hassle if both are too similar.

MS300s also had a huge issue of clamping down a bit too much, and especially with glasses, they weren't comfortable at all, almost to the point of painful (and this is coming from someone who find the comfort levels of Grados bearable to good), which I assume the bigger cans will help out in that regard.

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #37 of 102
The 300 and 500 have a slightly similar sound, with the 500 being more relaxed. The 400 is quite different... definitely not nasal in my opinion.

I did find the 300 uncomfortable after a while, especially pinching down on glasses like you mentioned. The 400 is better, though still has a bit of clamp (which can be alleviated with stretching). The 500 is very very comfortable and I doesn't bother me at all, even while wearing glasses.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #39 of 102
Updated first post.

notes to self: more categories
packaging
construction/durability
comfort
isolation
driveability (is that even a word?)
travel case/transportability
overall sound signature

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #41 of 102
Forgot to mention that I updated the first post with some more impressions and descriptions of sound.

Quote:
I'm getting crackling in my left MS400 cup on higher bass frequencies. 

Crackling?

If it's a buzzing sort of thing, it's likely a bit of dust or hair that got in there. You could try taking the pads off and blowing a bit of air around, or just crank up the volume for a bit to see if it shakes anything loose.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #42 of 102
Alright, I'll try that.  It's not too prominent or anything as it's kind of behind all of the music.  It's sounds a little bit like static I guess and it only shows up during higher bass.

edit-It already worked haha :D

But it's still probably inside the cup so I guess I'll try cleaning it.  You just pull pad straight off right?

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #43 of 102
The pads are attached to a sliding plate (the edge of the pad curls under it). Just push the bass of the pad upwards and it should click, after which you just simply lift it off the cup.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #44 of 102
Nice thread so far. Can somebody say how these perform with different kinds of music, specifically hip-hop? Also, could these go unamped? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back