[review/comparison] Phiaton showdown: MS 300 -vs- MS 400 -vs- PS 500
Dec 10, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #46 of 102
None of them need amping. They all drive very very easily. For hip hop, the MS400 is probably your best bet.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #47 of 102
Dec 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #50 of 102
Updated the first post.

Any other categories I should add to the table?

I think I should still write a bit about each one individually, rather that purely comparative. I've still got pictures that I need to insert as well.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #52 of 102
Very good and detailed review. I've been checking out Phiaton for my first real pair of headphones, but I'm not sure exactly what I want yet.

Has anyone tried both the MS 400's and the PS 320's and can give a quick comparison? The PS 320's are about $30 cheaper on Amazon than the MS 400's.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #53 of 102
I think I like the MS 400 about as much as everyone else here, but I've got this strange rattling type sound in the left earcup, which I can basically only hear when the music is over. Not happening in the right earcup. I am hesitant to open up and look in, because I'm still in the return period. Has anyone experienced this, or heard about it before? I couldn't find any mention of it elsewere, so I assume I have a loose screw or piece of plastic or something. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #54 of 102
There's a rattling when there's no music playing? So if you shake it there's a rattle? If that's the case it's almost certainly a loose bit somewhere. You can easily take the earpad assembly off just to take a look, though if you're still within the return period then just get a new one.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #55 of 102

Quote:
There's a rattling when there's no music playing? So if you shake it there's a rattle? If that's the case it's almost certainly a loose bit somewhere. You can easily take the earpad assembly off just to take a look, though if you're still within the return period then just get a new one.

Thanks. When you put it that way, is seems so obvious. Exchange them I shall, unless this is a common problem. Like the D7000 hanging off its pins. 
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #56 of 102
The only other complaint I've heard was someone complaining about buzzing, but it just turned out to be a hair stuck near the driver.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #57 of 102
Of course, when I put them on tonight, the rattling or whatever appears to be gone. So I'm happy again. No idea what that was about, and so I thought I should post to make sure Phiaton's build quality isn't called into question by my remark.

I am also amping them for the first time, with my A1, and they sound ridiculous. I never would have imagined they would respond this well to external amping, but they do. They are easily the equal of any closed full-size headphone I can think of, other than the D7000 and the Edition 8. I actually think they might work better in this configuration than as a portable.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #58 of 102
Hm, I'm somewhat torn between the MS 300 and the MS 400... the 300 sounds like it fits what I'm looking for a bit more, but since I wear glasses this talk of clamping down too hard is concerning, not to mention to apparently nasal sounding mids. While I don't care about bass all that much and hate the double-side cord, the MS 400 may be better if only for the larger cup size and perhaps better sound while gaming.

I dunno. How bad is the clamping issue on the MS 300's really?

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #59 of 102
The MS300 were not nasally to my ears.

Pretty much all supraaural sets will give you a bit of clamp and press on the ears into glasses. The MS300 isn't that bad though. If I had to rank it from 1-10 (with 1 being the PX100 that's nearly nothing, and the AKG K81 at 10 which clamps like a vice), I would put the MS300 at about 3 or 4. I have a wide head, and I can wear the MS300 for maybe 30-45 minutes before adjusting them. The MS400 are sort of a tradeoff, with larger cups which spread the pressure out, but they also press more on the upper tip of the ear which pushes into the glasses. The MS300 can be positioned a little lower and not have that issue.

So yeah... I can't answer for you either way. Pick whether you want a smaller set with single sided cord, or a bigger one with more boom in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back