[review/comparison] Phiaton showdown: MS 300 -vs- MS 400 -vs- PS 500
Mar 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #76 of 102
My experience of the portable closed AKGs is basically like bass cannons firing into you ear. Feels sorta like you're sitting inside the bass drum. Being supraaural though, they don't quite give me that "boxed in" feeling that full sized closed cans sometimes do.

The Phiatons to me do feel like a closed headphone, but comfortably so. Like in a small room or studio.

May 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #78 of 102
just curios with your graphs how on headphone.com they are different now because now it shows the ms 400 with quite a bit less bass because i wanted the ms 400 for bassynedd but i wanted something smaller like the ms 300 but if it's different now then i might as well go with the 400 

May 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #79 of 102
Yeah, I noticed Headroom seems to have changed some of their graphs. To be honest, I think they screwed up the MS400 listing and might have put a different MS300 measurement in there (if you look at both, you'll note they are strikingly similar).

The graphs may have changed, but my ears haven't. The MS400 is still the bassy one, although the MS300 doesn't disappoint either. It depends if you're looking for a warmer thumpy bass or a punchier and articulate one.

May 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #80 of 102

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed Headroom seems to have changed some of their graphs. To be honest, I think they screwed up the MS400 listing and might have put a different MS300 measurement in there (if you look at both, you'll note they are strikingly similar).

The graphs may have changed, but my ears haven't. The MS400 is still the bassy one, although the MS300 doesn't disappoint either. It depends if you're looking for a warmer thumpy bass or a punchier and articulate one.

well how does the ms 300 compare with the ipod bass booster eq on and what would u rate the sound quality of both in general like on a scale of 10 

May 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #81 of 102
I don't have an ipod.

I actually consider the MS300 to have better sound overall, but the MS400 has a bit of coloration to it that I really like.

May 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #82 of 102

Quote:
I don't have an ipod.

I actually consider the MS300 to have better sound overall, but the MS400 has a bit of coloration to it that I really like.

alright cause so far what im getting is that the ms 300 is more portable and better sound but bad isolation

and the ms 400 is good isolation too big for pocket and bassy sound

i do like bassy sound though... :/ and i can get a used ms 400 for 140  and the new ms 300 for 130 what do u think? 

May 23, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #84 of 102
Isolation isn't significantly different, with the MS400 slightly better to my ears, but this depends on the individual person and how the cans sit on your ear. Neither headphone is really pocketable.

I would not use either of them for sports. They have decent clamp, but aren't that rugged. Get some sport clips or behind-head headphones or something more disposable for that.

May 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #85 of 102

Quote:
Isolation isn't significantly different, with the MS400 slightly better to my ears, but this depends on the individual person and how the cans sit on your ear. Neither headphone is really pocketable.

I would not use either of them for sports. They have decent clamp, but aren't that rugged. Get some sport clips or behind-head headphones or something more disposable for that.

for sport i dont mean running i just mean good enough that they wont slip off if i lay my head back for weights and if the ms 300s aren't pocketable then i think i'll go with the ms 400 

May 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #86 of 102
They aren't rugged, but they have a good fit on my head.

Anyway I just wanted to report, my MS300 broke after a friend with a largish head put it on her head. The plastic on the headband snapped where it extends. There is metal over it but the plastic is what is strained when you expand the headband. As a result, I really cannot recommend these cans to anyone anymore except people with really small heads who don't need to extend the headband to wear them. The design is just weak.

This is a huge shame, but I have lost all faith in Phiaton products.  Funny, but my Beats headphones are holding up like a champ despite seeing more use than the Phiatons, and these were the cans that had a reputation for breaking on a whim.

May 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #87 of 102
I seem to recall there being mentioned a while back of a change in the headbands on the MS300/400. Maybe ask Ak24 (the local Phiaton rep) about it?

May 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #88 of 102
My MS400's band seems to have a metal band surrounded by padding, so maybe the construction changed? Not sure I'd want to try to lift weights with them on, though, but I've got a small head and don't need to use the extenders, so the clamp might be higher on other folks. (My ears are also small enough that the cups and pads are entirely circumaural. I swear I'm not a freak.) I also wouldn't want to sweat into them. Not pocketable (unless you have, like, giant pockets), but they're definitely small and fold up even smaller. They come with a nice case, too. Bass is definitely not disappointing, but they're some of my favorite for vocals thus far. (There are so many headphones I just want to LISTEN to. Argh, why must this hobby be so expensive?)

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #90 of 102
Not really, though if you've got a bag that you can carry everything around in, just about anything is portable. If you add some damping to the cups, their isolation becomes quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back