[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Apr 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,803 of 7,021
  My only question now is... is there not an upgrade option anymore?

I'd be interested in knowing what the dealio is here m'self.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4,804 of 7,021
Can still grab the ASG-2.5 for $499 for three days. It was extended since they originally had the wrong specs. Just FYI. I've never tried Aurisonics but really looking forward to getting some. I just got an iBasso DX90, so hoping that will be the ultimate portable setup for me for a long time.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #4,806 of 7,021
Awesome on the 3-day extension... It was looking pretty grim today. Here's hoping the 2.5 keeps all the things I love about the G-2, tones down the midbass a bit, and gets a hair more spaciousness (not sure if that's really the word I want to use here...) to the treble! 

Btw, although we're waiting on confirmation that they're still planning on coming, Aurisonics should be at the Music City Meet in Nashville on May 10th if anybody is in the area and wants to swing by. Link here

May 3, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,807 of 7,021
Just got my finalized ASG 2.5 in.  I think I am the first here to get them in. They decided to discontinue the frost and agreed to update mine free of charge and even shipped it back Express so I got it in one day.  The color looks amazing.  Its a dark smoke and personally I think it looks better than the stealth ones I saw on here.   I have them in the 2nd and 3rd pictures for a size comparison with the Fischer Amps FA-4E XB.  

Ill be stepping out now but I'll leave it burning in.  The Fischer offers some stiff competition... I wonder who will win out.  

May 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #4,809 of 7,021
Good thing they discontinued the frost. Mine even after extra uv coating started to turn yellow. Wonder if they offer smoke faceplate change :rolleyes:

May 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4,810 of 7,021
Good thing they discontinued the frost. Mine even after extra uv coating started to turn yellow. Wonder if they offer smoke faceplate change :rolleyes:

Neither frost nor stealth is the real deal :D

May 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #4,811 of 7,021
God damn that set is smokin. Like the Terminator of IEMs

May 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,812 of 7,021
I need an opinion from ASG-2 owners. I just demo'd the latest version of the ASG-1. I was impressed by the bass quality and vocal presentation. In fact I was blown away at how they sounded with much of what I listen to (modern jazz and vocal oriented stuff). But, with the music I enjoy from the 70's era (Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Eagles, Stones), it stumbled. The sound was vailed, the vocals moved to the back of the presentation and everything sounded compressed. I could write that off to poor mastering/recording, but I also demo'd some 1964 V3's at the same time and those handled everything well, with no noticeable degradation from genre to genre or from era to era. The V3's just never wow'd me in any area like the ASG-1's. In hind sight, I should have demo'd the ASG-2, but I just overlooked them, thinking they were out of my price range. So my question is, would the ASG-2 be a different animal. Is there something about the ASG-1's treble presentation that clouded the older recordings? Can anyone confirm what I was hearing or tell me if those issues would potentially be corrected with the ASG-2. I realize not many people have the new 2.5, but any forum members experience with ASG-2 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

May 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,813 of 7,021
  I need an opinion from ASG-2 owners. I just demo'd the latest version of the ASG-1. I was impressed by the bass quality and vocal presentation. In fact I was blown away at how they sounded with much of what I listen to (modern jazz and vocal oriented stuff). But, with the music I enjoy from the 70's era (Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Eagles, Stones), it stumbled. The sound was vailed, the vocals moved to the back of the presentation and everything sounded compressed. I could write that off to poor mastering/recording, but I also demo'd some 1964 V3's at the same time and those handled everything well, with no noticeable degradation from genre to genre or from era to era. The V3's just never wow'd me in any area like the ASG-1's. In hind sight, I should have demo'd the ASG-2, but I just overlooked them, thinking they were out of my price range. So my question is, would the ASG-2 be a different animal. Is there something about the ASG-1's treble presentation that clouded the older recordings? Can anyone confirm what I was hearing or tell me if those issues would potentially be corrected with the ASG-2. I realize not many people have the new 2.5, but any forum members experience with ASG-2 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

ASG 1 is a VERY dark sounding iem that doesnt have a lot of treble. The ASG 2 add the BA driver to help bring the treble out a bit more, and it does by a good amount. Overall sound is still on the darker side for the ASG 2 though

May 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #4,814 of 7,021

Check out the very first post of the thread :)

Also, there are a bunch of impressions there that I cataloged from other owners/tour members. Some compare to their own ASG-1.

May 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #4,815 of 7,021
^ Adding to this, if price is your issue with the ASG-2, I created an EQ for my ASG-1 that transformed it into the best IEM I had ever heard at the time. Have a look at my ASG-1 review here. You'll find my opening sentences mirror yours a lot.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604547/review-aurisonics-asg-1-diamond-in-the-rough-rev-1-2-update-added

Sound

The whole point of the ASG-1 was to address the "faults" of the original version. I am happy to say that every issue I described has been resolved. However, one problem has arisen.

I'll start off with the most glaring fault of this revision of the ASG-1. The treble.

It's refined, it's richly defined with timbre as good, or better, than the GR07 (yeah, I know). The problem is that there's barely any of it. This leads to an overall darker sound that I feel HAS to be EQ'ed to restore some balance to the sound. When I do EQ it, it's the best earphone I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Below is the EQ is use on the Equalizer app for iPhone. As a matter of fact, it's just the "Treble Booster" preset. Though, this is my favorite EQ setting: +2.0 dB. 5000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 8000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 12000 Hz : +5.0 dB 16000 Hz : +5.5 dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back