[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Apr 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,786 of 7,021
I PRESENT TO YOU GUYS. 
MY DIY 24K GOLD SPRAY MIX CUSTOM PAINT JOB ( IT HAS MIXED 24K GOLD FLAKES IN THE PAINT MIXTURE I ADDED) 
WITH A CARBON FIBER VINYL FACEPLATE.

Side note, The plastiDip coating didnt work so well it didnt "stick" to the shell and would peel after 2 weeks...
This however. (note I covers all the ports with plasticine to protect the inside of the IEM) 
I got myself a nice compressor for about $800 and a car spray kit for $500 with a nice precision nozzel ! 
Ordered some of those 24k gold flakes cost $130 for a small mini bag ( the kind that ususally holds your tips !) 
I got a the blender and put in the normal gold color car paint and mixed up the gold flakes in it , blended for like 8 mins and the gold was nice and fine and distributed well. 
Then I started spraying the thing coated like a dream. 
After 4 coats I was out ( could mix too much gold paint or the flakes will have less of an effect) 
after that got the Car clear coat mix and poured and gave it a nice 2 coats of clear paint to protect the gold. 
time between gold coatings 30 mins to make sure each coat dried nicely. 
then the clear coat was a single clear coat every 24 hours. 
After it was all dried I used my Hydrophobic spray on the IEM to make them sweat resistant. 3 coats of that ( its completely invisible and doesnt add to the colour change) 
Now. Reason I posted this is cuz this time I was successful in making the coating last. 
Its been about 5 weeks since its been on and it still shines like the day I finished !

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #4,787 of 7,021
I don't usually say an IEM is sexy but *whistles*

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,788 of 7,021
  I sent mine back for repair over a month ago, and Andy Rowland said (when I mentioned hearing about a new AS2 or 2.5):

"Just remember that we are constantly improving our products. Anything truly drastic in a change will be properly announced. Like we announced rockets, for example."

I still think that a good quality aftermarket cable makes a huge difference with these, just like EQ did with their earlier models.   Strongly encourage anyone wanting a noticable difference, especially in openness, dynamics and highs to check out the Nocturnal Hydra or similar cable rather than worrying about the new improved version that may not really exist, and if it does, surely doesn't make that noticable a difference from what I've read.   Cables really make a noticable difference.

Do you realize that EKE has the Tralucent Uber cable on his ASG-2, no wonder he raves about his ASG-2!!   And assuming he used the Uber comparing to other IEM's then definately his ASG-2 would have an edge over comparing with just the stock cable, which in my opinion could not be any poorer quality and surely doesn't do a $600 IEM justice!   Here is what Anakchan said about the Uber cable "http://www.head-fi.org/products/tralucent-audio-uber-cable/reviews/8933."

I actually use the stock cable on the G2. I've touched the Tralucent cable literally twice in the last 4 months or so.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #4,791 of 7,021
  Sorry Eke, my misunderstanding.   Could you comment on how the Uber cable affected the sound of the ASG-2?

It's not the uber, but the newer silver/gold hybrid. The effect for me is pretty subtle, but slightly more than changing DAPs. It lowers the G2's mid bass impact overall and lets the sig be more linear.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4,792 of 7,021
I think I've mentioned before but if anyone wants a sound upgrade better than cables, I find the hippo biscuit a superb match as a dap to the ASG-2. Also, at about $100, it costs about the same if not less than a high quality cable...

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #4,795 of 7,021

...aaaaand as an Aurisonics fan with incredibly poor impulse control, I just signed up for the $499 drop. I disgust myself sometimes... :p

Just go for it.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #4,797 of 7,021
I'm kinda torn between wanting the great deal on the 2.5 and wanting to not spend half a grand before I get to hear them... But at the moment, I'm cheering for 16 other like-minded nutjobs to jump in before the clock strikes midnight on the deal. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #4,798 of 7,021
I thought about jumping on this, but until the source comes directly from Aurisonics, my wallet remains closed.  If you happen to get the latest, good for you. In the meantime -
popcorn.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #4,800 of 7,021

Nah, I only pledged if it goes to $499. (Hoping that there would be a pretty good discount for buying it while at the Music City Meet, like there was last year at Canlanta, if the lower price doesn't happen). Still not exactly chump change though... My current nefarious plot thought process is that if that works out, I can give my mom my ASG-2 for mother's day (since she LOVED it at the Canlanta meet last year), which would in some way make the inhuman absence of impulse control I've demonstrated more palatable. 

So... Anybody else with impressions on the 2.5s? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back