[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,816 of 7,021
eke2k6,

I hope I didn't come across as a lazy noob trying to short cut things for an easy answer. That was not my intent. I have read the majority of appreciation threads for 1964, Noble and Aurisonics. You have done an outstanding job on this thread and I appreciate it. There is a ton of valuable information regarding sonic characteristics of the ASG-2 here. However, I did not see any mention of the ASG-1 or ASG-2 failing to handle paticular genre's well and had hoped to get an answer to that question. I appreciate your response and the response of other members. I could have very well missed the information and I'll search through the thread more thoroughly.

May 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,817 of 7,021
  ^ Adding to this, if price is your issue with the ASG-2, I created an EQ for my ASG-1 that transformed it into the best IEM I had ever heard at the time. Have a look at my ASG-1 review here. You'll find my opening sentences mirror yours a lot.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604547/review-aurisonics-asg-1-diamond-in-the-rough-rev-1-2-update-added

Thanks for the EQ settings. I should have done that when I had the demo unit. I still can't understand why the ASG-1 was so genre specific for me. If the recording was over 20 years old, it sounded compressed, but the V3 didn't and neither do my VSONIC's, AKG's or Grado's.

May 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4,818 of 7,021
  eke2k6,

I hope I didn't come across as a lazy noob trying to short cut things for an easy answer. That was not my intent. I have read the majority of appreciation threads for 1964, Noble and Aurisonics. You have done an outstanding job on this thread and I appreciate it. There is a ton of valuable information regarding sonic characteristics of the ASG-2 here. However, I did not see any mention of the ASG-1 or ASG-2 failing to handle paticular genre's well and had hoped to get an answer to that question. I appreciate your response and the response of other members. I could have very well missed the information and I'll search through the thread more thoroughly.

Oh, no worries. That wasn't the interpretation. I was mainly pointing you towards the little blurbs in the main review that mention how the ASG-2 differs from the ASG-1. Also the impressions posted by others that are cataloged under the main review.

The reason why some tracks sound better than others come from how the mastering/instruments/vocals in each track plays to the ASG's strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit more in depth than that, but that's all I can muster while studying...it's finals week.

May 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #4,822 of 7,021

Oh, no worries. That wasn't the interpretation. I was mainly pointing you towards the little blurbs in the main review that mention how the ASG-2 differs from the ASG-1. Also the impressions posted by others that are cataloged under the main review.

The reason why some tracks sound better than others come from how the mastering/instruments/vocals in each track plays to the ASG's strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit more in depth than that, but that's all I can muster while studying...it's finals week.

Im glad my post was not taken in the wrong vain. In light of your situation with finals, I appreciate the explanation. Thanks.

May 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #4,825 of 7,021
Lettin' us down yooo 
frown.gif

May 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,827 of 7,021
Auditioned this iem at a local store wanted to get a upgrade from earsonics sm3 v2 and sm64, maybe i am a details lover i find that asg-2 bass overshadow vocal+musical instruments, any good advice is asg-2 worth the upgrade from Sm3/Sm64? i love female vocal+musical instruments

sorry for.bad English

May 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #4,828 of 7,021
So a gracious head-fier has sent to me for an extensive listening session the highly coveted and TOTL 1Plus2 universal hybrid IEM. I've had it for a few days now (with the custom uber cable). I don't know where I will put my more extensive impressions of it yet, but I thought this would be a good spot to give some brief impressions. Where I am at with this IEM right now is that the bass is stunning to my ears. It's tight, natural sounding with an excellent timbre. The overall sound of the 1Plus2 is quite pleasing too, and I would say it is one of the best universal IEMs I've heard (and probably the best hybrid I've heard). Yet, for a $1,500 USD earphone, it falls significantly short of my expectations. In fact, sans the bass, an A/B comparison last night against my 1964 EARS V6 revealed an overall more pleasant and more detailed sound signature coming from my custom, which retails for around $600 USD. Yes, overall to my ears, the V6 equaled the 1Plus2 in sound quality, although the signatures are a bit different (i.e. the 1Plus2 is a bit warmish compared to the V6, but the V6's mids are more detailed and the overall sound stage is wider than the 1Plus2). The V6 simply has a fuller sound, and the mids are far more detailed. The bass wins in clarity and sounding more natural in the 1Plus2, but the V6 (first version) actually goes deeper in the sub bass while still maintaining a more neutral signature. Let me add that my V6 is connected to a custom silver-plated BTG cable, so that would push the cost up to about $700. What has this taught me? We read quite a bit on head-fi about the law of diminishing returns and such, but now I know what I always suspected. Paying near or over $1K for a universal or custom earphone doesn't guarantee you will are purchasing the best sound quality your money can buy. And more economically-friendly (not necessarily budget-friendly) audio companies aren't just making mid-tier sound quality products to match their friendlier prices. In fact, companies like 1964 EARS are shooting above mid-tier quality for the money, and many of these products rival some of the top tier audio products - cost wise - that are out here today. To me, that makes lower-costing products top-tier too. Yes, welcome to the age of Blurred Lines in the personal audiophile products industry. Happy Listening! :beerchug:

beerchug.gif

May 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #4,829 of 7,021
Nice impressions Eric!  I dont think I gave the 1p2 its fair share of time, but for me it was more about trying it than keeping it.  

As for the ASG2.5, sorry I didnt have a full review of it.  I am not really that great with descriptions and words like a lot of great reviewers here.  I do think they cleaned up the bass.  Although full open bass port is still overbearing, I think now the bass is tighter and better than what I remember on the original.  I feel the main difference in how they re-tuned it was the change in bass.  It could be placebo but I also feel they added a touch more treble or upper mids? something in that range.  It is still a darker and non-fatiguing IEM though.  I think those that love the ASG2 will love these even more but is it worth the upgrade selling your current 2 for a retail priced 2.5?  That I am not too sure about.  If you can get it for a discounted price either new or used or through that group buy site (after confirming it is indeed the newest model that ONLY comes in stealth), I think it would be worth a listen.  For those new people that tend to prefer a darker signature and havent tried the ASG2, I would recommend trying the 2.5.  

May 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4,830 of 7,021
I've never been a fan of the 1p2 so this pleases me. (I kid, but I think it's a massively overrated phone and I'd take the FX850 over it any day). I have hopes for the REF 1, but the price is just insane. I have always felt that phones in the midrange could hold their own against the supposed TOTL, and now we've got phones in the super budget range that could tango with the TOTL. (Zero Audio Tenore)

I'm really excited about Rockets might bring to the table now that this crop of microdrivers seem to be knockin it out of the park

Users who are viewing this thread

Back