[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #4,831 of 7,021
  Nice impressions Eric!  I dont think I gave the 1p2 its fair share of time, but for me it was more about trying it than keeping it.  

As for the ASG2.5, sorry I didnt have a full review of it.  I am not really that great with descriptions and words like a lot of great reviewers here.  I do think they cleaned up the bass.  Although full open bass port is still overbearing, I think now the bass is tighter and better than what I remember on the original.  I feel the main difference in how they re-tuned it was the change in bass.  It could be placebo but I also feel they added a touch more treble or upper mids? something in that range.  It is still a darker and non-fatiguing IEM though.  I think those that love the ASG2 will love these even more but is it worth the upgrade selling your current 2 for a retail priced 2.5?  That I am not too sure about.  If you can get it for a discounted price either new or used or through that group buy site (after confirming it is indeed the newest model that ONLY comes in stealth), I think it would be worth a listen.  For those new people that tend to prefer a darker signature and havent tried the ASG2, I would recommend trying the 2.5.  

Thanks for your insights caracara08. 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I need to meet again with Mr. Dale (great guy). I really want to hear those Rockets. I got from reliable sources that the Rockets actually rival the Senn. IE800 in sound quality. So I need to hear those babies.

May 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #4,832 of 7,021
I've never been a fan of the 1p2 so this pleases me. (I kid, but I think it's a massively overrated phone and I'd take the FX850 over it any day). I have hopes for the REF 1, but the price is just insane. I have always felt that phones in the midrange could hold their own against the supposed TOTL, and now we've got phones in the super budget range that could tango with the TOTL. (Zero Audio Tenore)

I'm really excited about Rockets might bring to the table now that this crop of microdrivers seem to be knockin it out of the park

Ditto on the Rockets, Idsynchrono.

May 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4,833 of 7,021
  Nice impressions Eric!  I dont think I gave the 1p2 its fair share of time, but for me it was more about trying it than keeping it.  

As for the ASG2.5, sorry I didnt have a full review of it.  I am not really that great with descriptions and words like a lot of great reviewers here.  I do think they cleaned up the bass.  Although full open bass port is still overbearing, I think now the bass is tighter and better than what I remember on the original.  I feel the main difference in how they re-tuned it was the change in bass.  It could be placebo but I also feel they added a touch more treble or upper mids? something in that range.  It is still a darker and non-fatiguing IEM though.  I think those that love the ASG2 will love these even more but is it worth the upgrade selling your current 2 for a retail priced 2.5?  That I am not too sure about.  If you can get it for a discounted price either new or used or through that group buy site (after confirming it is indeed the newest model that ONLY comes in stealth), I think it would be worth a listen.  For those new people that tend to prefer a darker signature and havent tried the ASG2, I would recommend trying the 2.5.  

Nice. I'm glad they didn't change too much about it. The G2 is seriously my favorite phone I've heard. I'm literally in the music when I listen. The textures, the ridiculous imaging in the mids and treble, the dimensionality of the soundstage, they all make music come alive for me. And then the vocals are so holographic and realistic. I really can't study with the G2 because I end up lost in the music.

As for the SE846, I'll be watching for impressions. Those close to me have had very mixed thoughts about them.

May 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #4,834 of 7,021
Yeah +3 on the rockets.  I am trying to keep expectations down as what would happen to the ASG2.5 if the Rockets, a much cheaper IEM, rivals a $999 iem?  

As for the 846, yeah, I have been going back and forth about things I have read about the 846 but it seems to be a good fit for me.  What types of negatives have you heard?  Am I derailing the thread? If so, I apologize.

May 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4,835 of 7,021

As for the 846, yeah, I have been going back and forth about things I have read about the 846 but it seems to be a good fit for me.  What types of negatives have you heard?  Am I derailing the thread? If so, I apologize.

Mainly about just how thick it is, and how the soundstage is rather intimate. Also some are saying how the bass gets fatiguing.

But I'm looking forward to firsthand comparisons from you. Hopefully you can post some and I'll add them to the first page.

May 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #4,836 of 7,021
  Yeah +3 on the rockets.  I am trying to keep expectations down as what would happen to the ASG2.5 if the Rockets, a much cheaper IEM, rivals a $999 iem?  

I'll tell you guys though, this FX850 is like audio crack to my ears. With everything I own now (except the Hope VI headphone), I can only listen to those other phones for awhile (and I think they're good to great sounding phones) before my ears start begging for the FX850. If anyone is curious about what is ericp10's ideal sound signature, it's clearly the JVC FX850 woodie from top to bottom (after 100 hours of burn-in). 

May 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4,837 of 7,021

I'll tell you guys though, this FX850 is like audio crack to my ears. With everything I own now (except the Hope VI headphone), I can only listen to those other phones for awhile (and I think they're good to great sounding phones) before my ears start begging for the FX850. If anyone is curious about what is ericp10's ideal sound signature, it's clearly the JVC FX850 woodie from top to bottom (after 100 hours of burn-in). 

I absolutely would have jumped on the 850 but I use my IEMS a lot to sleep and I remember the fx700 stuck out too much to use them comfortably in bed and from pictures, the 850 looks to be roughly the same size.  The Fischer is perfect for sleeping and I am hoping the Rockets are the same.  

May 5, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4,839 of 7,021
May 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #4,840 of 7,021
Ewww, gifs in the age of WebM and GFY? Way to fail unity :l Can you believe I'm a supremus? Everyone listen to what I gotta say haw haw

May 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4,841 of 7,021
Auditioned this iem at a local store wanted to get a upgrade from earsonics sm3 v2 and sm64, maybe i am a details lover i find that asg-2 bass overshadow vocal+musical instruments, any good advice is asg-2 worth the upgrade from Sm3/Sm64? i love female vocal+musical instruments

sorry for.bad English

I haven't heard the SM3/SM64 but vocals on the ASG2 is no slouch. It has a forward and mid centric signature. Vocals are extremely lush and intimate. It can portray as though the singer is singing live in front of you. Did you close the bass port? When it's closed or opened very marginally, the bass shouldn't be bleeding into the mids at all. Details wise i would rate it as on par or just a hair behind W4. Probably due to the wider soundstage that the details ain't as prominent. But clarity wise it's a step above W4. ASG2 does respond very well to EQ. Why not hold on awhile for the ASG2.5?

Hope this helps! :)

May 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #4,842 of 7,021
Ewww, gifs in the age of WebM and GFY? Way to fail unity :l Can you believe I'm a supremus? Everyone listen to what I gotta say haw haw

http://i99.ltalk.ru/24.media.tumblr.com/cc7d68165a9b6e310577631361d4a7fb/tumblr_ml3zc2tunT1qdippyo1_400.gif

Come at me bro. I got the neko power!
cat-slapping-a-crocodile-twice-on-the-face.gif

I haven't heard the SM3/SM64 but vocals on the ASG2 is no slouch. It has a forward and mid centric signature. Vocals are extremely lush and intimate. It can portray as though the singer is singing live in front of you. Did you close the bass port? When it's closed or opened very marginally, the bass shouldn't be bleeding into the mids at all. Details wise i would rate it as on par or just a hair behind W4. Probably due to the wider soundstage that the details ain't as prominent. But clarity wise it's a step above W4. ASG2 does respond very well to EQ. Why not hold on awhile for the ASG2.5?

Hope this helps! :)

Vocals are something I still enjoy on my ASG 2. The problem for me is a phone has to do something fantastic or everything really well for it to make me happy, sonically.

My GR07 BE and the H200 did everything really well for me minus some small refinements. The ASG 2 however doesn't meet the above. The best it has to offer is outmatch by the only iem to ever shake hands with my reference, the magnificent Sony EX1000. Outside of this arena, it's a mixed bag. Yeah it throws down more bass then my 07 and turns out to have some sparkle but why has it been spending its time in my drawer?

I tried using it when possible but just ended up going back to my 07's. Not a good sign honestly. It might just be the ergonomics of the 07 work out better for me and the ASG 2 sonics aren't worth the difference? Also, I paid $650 and consider the bass adjustment system a BloatPort™. Have mercy on me eke.

I was looking forward to a different bass adjustment system but it's all good now cuz KC06A's have me very(very) intrigued. Plus another 2 phones magnificent head fi'ers will allowed me to hear!

#LifesGood

But yes, ASG 2 vocals are quite enjoyable and much good has been said about them. :thumbsup:

Look forward to more impressions from another mini tour :3

May 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #4,843 of 7,021
Vocals are something I still enjoy on my ASG 2. The problem for me is a phone has to do something fantastic or everything really well for it to make me happy, sonically.

My GR07 BE and the H200 did everything really well for me minus some small refinements. The ASG 2 however doesn't meet the above. The best it has to offer is outmatch by the only iem to ever shake hands with my reference, the magnificent Sony EX1000. Outside of this arena, it's a mixed bag. Yeah it throws down more bass then my 07 and turns out to have some sparkle but why has it been spending its time in my drawer?

I tried using it when possible but just ended up going back to my 07's. Not a good sign honestly. It might just be the ergonomics of the 07 work out better for me and the ASG 2 sonics aren't worth the difference? Also, I paid $650 and consider the bass adjustment system a BloatPort™. Have mercy on me eke.

I was looking forward to a different bass adjustment system but it's all good now cuz KC06A's have me very(very) intrigued. Plus another 2 phones magnificent head fi'ers will allowed me to hear!

#LifesGood

But yes, ASG 2 vocals are quite enjoyable and much good has been said about them. :thumbsup:

Look forward to more impressions from another mini tour :3

Nothing is perfect. Probably it just doesn't suit your taste. Probably you should just offload it and venture into another gem.

I do agree that vocals is a forte of the ASG2. The bass is far by large the reference plane nor deep into the sub bass region but it has got plenty of body and punch as opposed to say, W4. Treble wise, the ASG2 takes a hit. Probably it was meant to be tuned this way. But a simple EQ lifts it up well. Unless you're an EQ advocate..

I see that you enjoy the H200. Probably you can look into the H300. Amazing phone if you can strike into its sound signature. Comparing the bass to ASG2 it's simply out of the world. Treble wise it also kicks the ASG2 in the butt together with superb clarity and details. What it doesn't do so well is the mids region. With a treble spike around 8-9Khz, it may put off some. Vocals definitely no match against the ASG2. But it isn't recessed. Just that the emphasis on sub bass and highs seem to put it in a back seat. But in all, still good. With good DAP or amp synergy, the H300 is enticing. It is a good complement to ASG2 and has been my on the go IEM for now.

May 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #4,844 of 7,021
I don't know mang, my memaw was purty perfect :wink:

I'm hoping my ASG 2 gets compared to the H300 during the upcoming tour, by a great head-fi'er non-the-less :blush:

May 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #4,845 of 7,021
Nothing is perfect. Probably it just doesn't suit your taste. Probably you should just offload it and venture into another gem.

I do agree that vocals is a forte of the ASG2. The bass is far by large the reference plane nor deep into the sub bass region but it has got plenty of body and punch as opposed to say, W4. Treble wise, the ASG2 takes a hit. Probably it was meant to be tuned this way. But a simple EQ lifts it up well. Unless you're an EQ advocate..

I see that you enjoy the H200. Probably you can look into the H300. Amazing phone if you can strike into its sound signature. Comparing the bass to ASG2 it's simply out of the world. Treble wise it also kicks the ASG2 in the butt together with superb clarity and details. What it doesn't do so well is the mids region. With a treble spike around 8-9Khz, it may put off some. Vocals definitely no match against the ASG2. But it isn't recessed. Just that the emphasis on sub bass and highs seem to put it in a back seat. But in all, still good. With good DAP or amp synergy, the H300 is enticing. It is a good complement to ASG2 and has been my on the go IEM for now.

Take Tralucents DacAmp One for example, pair H-300 with that and they sound amazing. More or less cures any faults like magic.

Only sets you back $499 USD but there's solid proof H-300 can perform well. 
wink_face.gif

I'm so tempted to buy one solely for H-300 though cannot bring myself to fall for such insanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back