[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #4,861 of 7,021
Unity, you could truly sell the ASG-2 and buy the FX850 or DITA or likewise. I know people who are selling their kilobuck phones  to get them.

^That! And if you don't like those 850's, I know someone you can unload them on :)

May 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #4,862 of 7,021
Apparently I've missed whenever we talked about the cost of upgrading a set of G-2s to the 2.5s... Can somebody share what that costs? I'm assuming you send back your ASG-2 and they reclaim the BA drivers to put in a new body with the new dynamic driver, right? 

May 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #4,863 of 7,021
Remember how we used to think the GR06 was a steal?

Unity, you could truly sell the ASG-2 and buy the FX850 or DITA or likewise. I know people who are selling their kilobuck phones  to get them.

I really(really(really(really))) disliked the GR06...

O I plan to sell these little "hooligans" but first, more impression from peeps I respect and hopefully remeasurement by Rin-san.

Listening to the Tenore right now, and yes it's definitely top three imo.

Do you think I'll enjoy this phone? What do you think I'll like/dislike?

^That! And if you don't like those 850's, I know someone you can unload them on :)

"O you..."

And yeah, I'm still wondering about the upgrade question. I sent Andy a email but no reply so far... :rocket::rocket::rocket:

May 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #4,864 of 7,021
The Tenore is one of the clearest phones I've ever heard, and it never imparts any sort of harshness on the listener. It's insane how good it is. If you dislike it, you simply enjoy a more colored sound IMO

But hell, you'll hear for yourself by Thursday :wink:

May 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #4,865 of 7,021
I really(really(really(really))) disliked the GR06...

O I plan to sell these little "hooligans" but first, more impression from peeps I respect and hopefully remeasurement by Rin-san.
Do you think I'll enjoy this phone? What do you think I'll like/dislike?
"O you..."

And yeah, I'm still wondering about the upgrade question. I sent Andy a email but no reply so far... :rocket::rocket::rocket:

I think you'd like the Tenore, but from your previous impressions you might want more sparkle. The Tenore's treble is on the smoother side compared to the GR07 imo. I'll write up a review today.

May 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #4,866 of 7,021
Selling my ASG-2 since no one wanted to do a temporary exchange with me in my ad haha. Great iems, just want to try something new~

May 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4,867 of 7,021
Just joined the ASG party few minutes ago, snatched a pair of 2.5 from one of the members here. Can't wait to hear it.
ksc75smile.gif

May 10, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,869 of 7,021
I also wonder it anyone has tried Oyaide cable for UE (pin) on the ASG? Thanks guys.

May 10, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4,870 of 7,021
Both the angled connector and the UE pins can be fitted on ASG2. However, for the angled connector the issue may lie in the diameter of the terminator. Because the sockets on ASG2 are recessed, the diameter of the connector may be too large to fit in. For example, the Lune MKIII cable with Westone pins are too large to fit in. Filling of the connector will be required to fit it in.

May 10, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #4,871 of 7,021
Both the angled connector and the UE pins can be fitted on ASG2. However, for the angled connector the issue may lie in the diameter of the terminator. Because the sockets on ASG2 are recessed, the diameter of the connector may be too large to fit in. For example, the Lune MKIII cable with Westone pins are too large to fit in. Filling of the connector will be required to fit it in.

Do you know if the cables will go over one's ears nicely with the angled pins? I'm worried that they'll angle the cables into my ears and not over my ears instead. The barrel ones seem to place the cables just nicely over my ears, thus the worry.

May 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #4,872 of 7,021
Both the angled connector and the UE pins can be fitted on ASG2.

Thanks for the info again bro, in that case I can swap my Oyaide cable between the TF 10 & ASG 
biggrin.gif
 since I'm a big fan of Oyaide.

May 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #4,873 of 7,021

I had a cable that would fit the pins but too big of a connector, so I carefully shaved them down and they fit great after that, sort of easy peasy, lol,

May 14, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #4,874 of 7,021
Ok so a while ago, I returned the G2 because I thought that the bass control was broken. I just got them back and realized that the bass dial was more of a on and off dial rather. There is a small airhole at the bottom of each unit and turning the knob just blocks or opens this airhole. I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I feel so nooby lol. It doesn't really matter if the dial keeps going round and round because it's more of a open/close function. If you look down the small airhole tube you will see a hole open up if you "turn up" the bass. The closer the hole is "matched" to the housing airhole, the more bass there will be. I don't know if I'm explaining this right...Anyways, don't really like it fully open. I do like the deep sub bass rumble, but it makes everything else sound awkward like I'm hearing sounds in a plastic container. Probably because mid bass is also increased as well. Upper mids sound muffled to me. If fully closed is 12'o'clock and full open in 6, I'll keep it at about 1ish. Other things I noticed that putting the dial at 12 to 3'o'clock seems to effect the subbass most and 3 to 6 seems to effect midbass most. I'm just reporting what I hear I don't know if this is the same for everyone else. I also do hear it peaking in the 10kHz region also getting a slight sibilance in that area as well. I don't have any experience with the original ASG-2 so I'm afraid I can't make any comparisons with that.

May 14, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #4,875 of 7,021

My 2nd hand but like new ASG-2.5 just touched down this afternoon, listening to it right now while I am writing this post.

Fitting: 20/10 (not a typo!) well I thought Westone are comfort, not until today I laid my hands on ASG, man I TOTALLY can't feel it on my ears even if I try to! This is how dam good it feels around my ears!

Build: 8/10 cosmetics wise you can't compare it with Japanese craftsmanship, that being said, it still acceptable and you can definitely tell each pair is individually hand-made and hand-polished cause you you can easily see difference between L & R side. Gives you kinda typical American raw feeling.

Accessories: 8/10 Pretty standard stuff, nothing to mention or worry about. Comes with few pair silicone double and singles tips. I rolled a few different tips since the stock one doesn't sound very good, actually sound become a bit too thick, until I put on some old UE tips then it starts revealing a lot more details.

Sound signature: Mind you this is purely my personal thoughts, bare in mind we all hear differently plus I am sure mine is NOT burn-in. Still listening, paired it with DX100 & Aune T1 (tube DAC as shown above). In general, it sounds dark, warm & thick but not muddy. Moderate pacing, definitely not a fast type (even when I am listening to MJ). For those who used to analytical details like from multiple BA types of phone, I wouldn't recommend ASG-2.5. My DX100 doesn't seems sufficient to drive it well even I set it on high gain and I am using it on my T1 with 10+ gain. Over all it sounds identical to my Philips X1 (I know I shouldn't compare it full size cans but that's the best way how I describe it). As I've been listened to it for 3-4 hours now, you can tell the sound is not fatigue at all.

Bass (port closed): 9/10 Sub bass well extended and deep with texture, not muddy (even on a tube DAC!) mid bass wise nothing really specific to mention. Overall I can't hear any bass bleeding into the mids of highs.

Mids/vocals: 7.5 ~ 8/10 quite smooth, neither recess or forward, sort of in the middle to me (unlike Westone UM Pro 50, really really forward). So far I haven't experience anything really touching or merit in regards to the mids, thats why I score it a bit low, not necessary means the ASG-2.5 is not good, plus remember it's not run-in. Besides, quality of the mids vary from song to song, think I need to follow this up later.

Treble: 8 ~ 8.5/10 Better than I expect, not sure how it compare to ASG-2 as I never try it, ASG-2.5 possibly a little bit roll off in this regards & I prefer the treble from my UE TF10(with Oyaide cable). Still, the highs are airy enough when comparing with many other cans. Another good thing is there isn't any hiss or harsh shouty highs that I come across with yet (and I don't think it will).

Soundstage: 8.5 ~ 9/10 Quite wide for an iem, reasonably spacious but not extremely wide. Definitely good enough for chamber music and classical. Somehow and sometimes notes are well extended so as the soundstage. Layers are there but not discreted, smooth transition across all frequencies (people call this intimately??).

Hope this help, I might update my comment in a week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back