Rediscovering the AKG K701!
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 83

Hi, I have quite the opposite opinion when it comes to vocals. Maybe it is a setup issue. Can you please tell me about your setup. Thanks
Quote:
exactly the same opinion, Bro... K701 is difficult to beat on female vocal (Amanda McBroom, Katie Melua for example)... not any of my other phones (HD580, V-Jays and HF2) can touch it (the closest is V-Jays, though still in a far distant)...

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 83
The best part I love for K701 is the smooth highs, no sibilance at all. It's good for my ears. I think that's why it's best for female vocals. After 3 months, the bass also comes out, not much but deep enough.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 83
Just got a pair of k701's today. A/B them with my 650s. They seem really bright on the top end. Bass and midrange are ok but a bit recessed.

Female voices are pretty good with it. John mayer has never sounded better.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 83
i recall a very interesting observation someone made about the K701 and HD650 frequency response graphs.

they said it looked as if someone stuck a pin into the graph at 1khZ, and then spun the K701 a few degrees clockwise, coming up with the HD650 (or vice versa).

this is pretty telling when you consider the sonic traits of these two headphones...

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 83
anyone interested in purchasing a fine pair of these?

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 83

Quote:
I actually prefer the 701s to the 800s.  The 701s just have a better balance I think. 

I'm with you. I prefer the slightly forward mid/upper mid of the K701 to the slight suckout in the HD800 and T1.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 83
if you EQ the bass up alittle its perfect the 701. The drivers actually move, and thats what they are supposed to do, To create bass. The have quite a excursion too.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 83

Quote:
I'm with you. I prefer the slightly forward mid/upper mid of the K701 to the slight suckout in the HD800 and T1.

The K-702 sounds fairly in line with a good pair of home hifi speakers, but doesn't have the bloom and seductive decay in the midrange (evident on clarinets, pianos to a very small extent and violins) The low mids and mids have a subtle dryness to them, but female vocals are drop dead gorgeous.
k701smile.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #27 of 83
spphanox is right, the k701 is awesome with acoustic guitar and classical music, but its also a bit revealing, so if you have any bady produced black metal for example, they will fly off your head so fast you'll never find where they landed.  Theyre also a bit laid back, so not really great for rocking out.

but yeah acoustic rock is an area where these really shine.  Ive never heard A Perfect Circle sound so amazing.  Oh yeah and watch the second hand pages, these turn up ever day almost...

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #28 of 83

Quote:

They are.  Overall I prefer the HD800s, but the K701s have a way with acoustic guitar that I love.  Jethro Tull is my favorite band, and I think the K701s handle their acoustic songs better than any other headphone I've tried.

Just listened to Jethro last night. Very nice.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #29 of 83
I must admit, after the initial honeymoon wow factor of the HD800s, the odd treble tilt started to really impose itself like an icepick to the brain.  I find the K701 more acceptable in this specific are of the frequency balance.  I am finding the HD800 upper mid/ lower treble tilt increasingly more and more unnatural, although initially I thought it was fantastic.  I am quite afraid of using the HD800 for a real fear that prolong usage will permanently impair my hearing.  I might just be paranoid, the point is the K701 never had this paranoid effect on me.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #30 of 83
I had that fear with Grados...

Quote:
I must admit, after the initial honeymoon wow factor of the HD800s, the odd treble tilt started to really impose itself like an icepick to the brain.  I find the K701 more acceptable in this specific are of the frequency balance.  I am finding the HD800 upper mid/ lower treble tilt increasingly more and more unnatural, although initially I thought it was fantastic.  I am quite afraid of using the HD800 for a real fear that prolong usage will permanently impair my hearing.  I might just be paranoid, the point is the K701 never had this paranoid effect on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back