Rediscovering the AKG K701!
Oct 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #31 of 83

Oh... very comforting news for my wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I must admit, after the initial honeymoon wow factor of the HD800s, the odd treble tilt started to really impose itself like an icepick to the brain.  I find the K701 more acceptable in this specific are of the frequency balance.  I am finding the HD800 upper mid/ lower treble tilt increasingly more and more unnatural, although initially I thought it was fantastic.  I am quite afraid of using the HD800 for a real fear that prolong usage will permanently impair my hearing.  I might just be paranoid, the point is the K701 never had this paranoid effect on me.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #32 of 83

Quote:
Hi, I have quite the opposite opinion when it comes to vocals. Maybe it is a setup issue. Can you please tell me about your setup. Thanks

I hear the same ethereal female voice on 2 (or three) different CMOY amp: a headphone out from my Philips CD751 cd player (TDA1549 with JRC4558 opamp on the headphone out), a simple CMOY with AD 8397 with any DAC source that I have (TDA1549, TDA1545 and CS4327) and a more proper AD8397 amp on my Audinst HUD-MX1.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #34 of 83
I just got a pair of K701 with an AudioArt Equinox re-cable.  My first time listening to these.  I have to say that coming off my HD650 at first I didn't like it!  I heard exactly what this graph shows.
But now that I've spent a little time and my hed has gotten used to the difference, I have to say they do sound quite nice.  They don't work on my tube amp (Crack w/Speedball), no bass and the highs are too pushed.  They sound cool on my Audinst though! 
I think I've got two dedicated headphone rigs on my hands now:)  The vinyl, tube, HD650 rig and the DAC/SS PC rig with the K701.
the best of both worlds?  I guess technically it's still two worlds.

Quote:
i recall a very interesting observation someone made about the K701 and HD650 frequency response graphs.

they said it looked as if someone stuck a pin into the graph at 1khZ, and then spun the K701 a few degrees clockwise, coming up with the HD650 (or vice versa).

this is pretty telling when you consider the sonic traits of these two headphones...

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #36 of 83
I really enjoyed my 325is cans untill I bought my 701's.  Running them on my wheatfield ha-2 with the right tube gave them a little boost in lower midrange and brought some warmth.  As previously stated, the 701 have no siblance on the top end.  I much prefer an accurate headphone over a headphone tuned to sound lively.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #37 of 83
I've had my AKG K702s for about six weeks.

I'm really very glad I bought them.

I've read a lot of the criticisms at these forums but they just aren't true for me. People say they have "no bass" but this is crazy, the bass is wonderful. You can hear the timbre and detail of the bass instruments and they occupy their place in the overall picture and soundstage. What the AKG K702s don't do is swell up the bass instruments in size. Unfortunately this is what many other headphones and speakers do. I suspect that some people might be just used to the swollen bass sound.

I've seen people suggest they need "warmed up" but this is really not the case at all imho. They sound extremely transparent and if the instruments are making a warmer sound the K702s will make that sound, if the instruments are making a cold sound then the K702s will replicate that.

This belief that audio replay equipment should "warm things up" is truly absurd imho. There is so much marvellous music which is cold and wishes to be served cold. Life under Stalin's monstrous regime is reflected in many of Shostakovich compositions, do people really want that "warmed up"? Do they want Stalin to be turned into Santa Claus?

I think the AKG K702s are extremely transparent. I think that they should be used with high quality transparent amplification and sources.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #38 of 83
I've been trawling these forums researching these headphones because I like what I hear from people who own them. I'm looking for something with a real soundstage which won't break the bank - i.e. no more than £250. I currently use Shure SRH840's and they're great but I'd like to also own something different. I think the 701/702's are maybe what I'm looking for. Would I be correct to say that these models are the same except for colour? Most of the headphone retailers seem to be pushing the 702's but when I go to AKG's site there's no mention of the 702's, only the 701's. What's up with that? I'll be mainly using them with my Cowon D2 which I know might not power them to the best of their abilities but an amp is in my future, definitely. Will the Cown do good enough in the interim or will they just sound awful? I'll also be powering them via my Rotel RA-01 integrated amp which seems to drive headphones pretty well.

edit - I forgot to mention I also own a Fiio E5. I know it's cheap and hardly cutting edge but it works, up to a point.

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #40 of 83

Quote:
I've been trawling these forums researching these headphones because I like what I hear from people who own them. I'm looking for something with a real soundstage which won't break the bank - i.e. no more than £250. I currently use Shure SRH840's and they're great but I'd like to also own something different. I think the 701/702's are maybe what I'm looking for. Would I be correct to say that these models are the same except for colour? Most of the headphone retailers seem to be pushing the 702's but when I go to AKG's site there's no mention of the 702's, only the 701's. What's up with that? I'll be mainly using them with my Cowon D2 which I know might not power them to the best of their abilities but an amp is in my future, definitely. Will the Cown do good enough in the interim or will they just sound awful? I'll also be powering them via my Rotel RA-01 integrated amp which seems to drive headphones pretty well.

edit - I forgot to mention I also own a Fiio E5. I know it's cheap and hardly cutting edge but it works, up to a point.

In answer to the first question, the difference between the K 701s and K 702s is colour and that the K 702s come with a detachable cable. The latter is the reason I have the K 702s because I want to be able to easily fit a larger cable.

In answer to the second question, about the amp, the K 701/2s improve as the amp improves. There are two issues the first is that the amp needs to be fairly powerful, but the second is quality. The K 701/2s are extremely transparent and will sound average with an average amp and poor with a poor amp. The plus side is that with a great amp they are great of course! With a superb amp they are superb! Okay I think you get the idea.

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #41 of 83
Thanks Patrick, I got it. I guess the detachable cable of the 702 also provides an upgrade/tweak option as well. I like what I'm hearing about the 702's as long as they don't sound absolutely crap unamped. I do tend to listen to female vocals and Americana a lot these days - artists like Natalie Merchant, Martha Wainwright, Emmylou Harris, Camera Obscura, Midlake, Bill CallahanWill Oldham etc and these cans seem to excel in precisely this area.

I think I have my Christmas wish sorted - time to subtley let the better half know.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #42 of 83

Quote:
Thanks Patrick, I got it. I guess the detachable cable of the 702 also provides an upgrade/tweak option as well. I like what I'm hearing about the 702's as long as they don't sound absolutely crap unamped. I do tend to listen to female vocals and Americana a lot these days - artists like Natalie Merchant, Martha Wainwright, Emmylou Harris, Camera Obscura, Midlake, Bill CallahanWill Oldham etc and these cans seem to excel in precisely this area.

I think I have my Christmas wish sorted - time to subtley let the better half know.

Yes, to upgrade the detachable cable will add around 20% sound separation/ dynamic, and transparency. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #43 of 83

Quote:

Yes, to upgrade the detachable cable will add around 20% sound separation/ dynamic, and transparency. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

Hi

Well I don't think these cable "upgrades" will bring any benefit to the headphones. However this is something which is frequently discussed.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #44 of 83
Love my k702. In my setup k702 does not take a backseat to much pricier phones.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #45 of 83

Quote:

Hi

Well I don't think these cable "upgrades" will bring any benefit to the headphones. However this is something which is frequently discussed.

I'm not sure why you'd assume that. Cables make a difference in hi-fi, at least in my house they do. If you mean they might not make the sound quantifiably better you might have a point but they surely can add "flavour" to the sound which, depending on the listeners taste, might be perceived as beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back