Rediscovering the AKG K701!
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #76 of 83
Perspective is harder to tell whether its pulled back or not unless we know how far the cymbals were recorded from the microphone in the case of a live setting for example. On studio recordings, it also depends on the eq of the engineers but after a while we sort of get the gist of the colorations that our headphones make on their own regardless of the recordings. Back to answer your question.... All the forward sounding cans tend to make the cymbals sound fake IMO. Only cans like senns for example do cymbals decently well IMO but they do pull them back. I have a feeling we agree on this one by the looks of your question.

EDIT: Oh but I haven't heard the latest Orthos Yet... Maybe those could change the game

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #77 of 83
The K701, for its price has an amazing treble representation IMO.  I always found cymbals just as commented, cans that bring them forward tend to skew the tonality of cymbals into a shimmering glitterfest with little dynamic transient...and that's not how cymbals ever sound IME.  I'd say the K701 can pull cymbals right to the front without adding this coloration.  I think the treble timbre, smoothness and resolution as found in the K701s is amongst the best treble I have ever heard from any headphone, I prefer the K701s treble over the HD650, D7000, K1000, and HD800.  If there is one thing the K701 doe really well is treble response.  That's not to say I don't have issues with the rest of its frequency balance though.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #78 of 83

Quote:
The K701, for its price has an amazing treble representation IMO.  I always found cymbals just as commented, cans that bring them forward tend to skew the tonality of cymbals into a shimmering glitterfest with little dynamic transient...and that's not how cymbals ever sound IME.  I'd say the K701 can pull cymbals right to the front without adding this coloration.  I think the treble timbre, smoothness and resolution as found in the K701s is amongst the best treble I have ever heard from any headphone, I prefer the K701s treble over the HD650, D7000, K1000, and HD800.  If there is one thing the K701 doe really well is treble response.  That's not to say I don't have issues with the rest of its frequency balance though.

I own a K701, have now for test a Q701, tested the K702 too. From the others I own a D7000.
Last time I compared the Q701 with the D7000
Bass: The D7000 have more deep bass pressure -  [size=small]Yun-Tian He - Mystical Scent let it feel[/size]
[size=x-small]http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Yun-Tian-He-Mystical-Scent/hnum/4281185[/size]
[size=small]with the D7000 blowing an airstream between my ears and the headphone pads [/size]
basshead.gif

Mid-Bass: With some kind (not all) of music and the D7000 a little too much. 
Mids and highs (treble) are very close between. Sometimes the Q701 occurs to me that the treble are a little bit detailled, e.g. the drummer brushes over the cymbal.
This are only nuances but hearable.

The Q701 and D7000 are very close in quality of sound - but different with kind of music or how mixing the sound engineer.
The Q701 (K701, 702) cost about the half of a D7000.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #80 of 83
Jan 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #81 of 83

Quote:
  I think the treble timbre, smoothness and resolution as found in the K701s is amongst the best treble I have ever heard from any headphone, I prefer the K701s treble over the HD650, D7000, K1000, and HD800.  If there is one thing the K701 doe really well is treble response.  That's not to say I don't have issues with the rest of its frequency balance though.

Well, I also think I could prefer the treble of my K701 to the ones of my HD650 — but not compared to my K1000 (not sure for the HD800: only heard it in a store and I don't have it)
These are good headphones, for shure - may be with a little lack of transparency and details vs the K1000?

Cdlt 
o2smile.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #82 of 83
most of the time i use my hd650 but i often feel the need to go toward the more airy sound of the k701. Its more detailed, precise, subtile, noble, delicate, refined sound really make me melt.
Female vocals are excellent. My love keeps growing on this headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #83 of 83
Quote:
most of the time i use my hd650 but i often feel the need to go toward the more airy sound of the k701. Its more detailed, precise, subtile, noble, delicate, refined sound really make me melt.
Female vocals are excellent. My love keeps growing on this headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Luckily am I cos I did not sell my K701.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back