Rediscovering the AKG K701!
Nov 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #62 of 83
I think both the k501 and k601 do and this is probably due to the slightly more forward upper mids.
I used the k701 for nearly two years and I now prefer the k601 due to it being a bit less neutral and more closely matched my preferences.
I don't like a huge soundstage and a completely neutral sound ALL the time. When I listen to music it's just for fun mostly.

If I ever came across the k701 again for $200 I'd like to get another pair and see how it compares.

A few months back I tried the k702 and it just didn't sound the same. Could be my first pair was just burned-in well.
The k702 also seemed a lot less comfortable.

Anyone else using the k701 for gaming? My k601 is good for gaming, but even better for music of course.

I think if someone were to compare the k601 side by side the k701, the k601 would have very slightly more bass. I'm not sure about this and that's not a positive or negative.
Does anyone agree and have they compared the two? The bass on my k601 is fine. Both are actually.

Quote:
Dunno why but K501 does vocal better than k701 however the latter is far more versatile.

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #63 of 83

Quote:
I think both the k501 and k601 do and this is probably due to the slightly more forward upper mids.
I used the k701 for nearly two years and I now prefer the k601 due to it being a bit less neutral and more closely matched my preferences.
I don't like a huge soundstage and a completely neutral sound ALL the time. When I listen to music it's just for fun mostly.

If I ever came across the k701 again for $200 I'd like to get another pair and see how it compares.

A few months back I tried the k702 and it just didn't sound the same. Could be my first pair was just burned-in well.

Anyone else using the k701 for gaming? My k601 is good for gaming, but even better for music of course.

I think if someone were to compare the k601 side by side the k701, the k601 would have very slightly more bass. I'm not sure about this and that's not a positive or negative.
Does anyone agree and have they compared the two? The bass on my k601 is fine. Both are actually.

Quote:
Dunno why but K501 does vocal better than k701 however the latter is far more versatile.

I use my K701s for everything - including gaming (for now, Fallout New Vegas and CS:Source). The soundstage is great for gaming - a direct comparison with the AD700 shows that it's just a bit better at letting you pinpoint sounds. It's not worth it just to get it for gaming, but I use it because it's there.

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #64 of 83

Quote:

Quote:

the K601 bass is pretty similar in quantity to the K701.  the K701 has a little more mid-bass.  differences can be attributed to pad break-in as well for either model.  i have a pair of 3 yr old K601 pads that are a little bassier/warmer than a stiff brand new pair.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #65 of 83

Quote:
I really admire the way they sound,not for rock but everything else.

Hey guys, I've been doing a fair bit of research on the K702's lately and I seem to run into statements like the quote above a lot, but no one ever really explains why. I'm very tempted to buy a pair after i move in a few months, however with the type of music i listen to (the who, ACDC, def leppard, kiss, journey, rush, pink floyd, and bon jovi just to name a few) the general consensus seems to be that I should look into a nice pair of Grados instead. If anyone could please describe exactly what makes the K702's a less than stellar choice for rock music I would be eternally grateful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #67 of 83

Quote:
Because it lacks impact and the tonal balance is too light for rock in many people's opinion.

The mids lack impact, weight and fullness compared to a lot of other phones I've heard...and my speakers. Sometimes snare drums(very prominent in most rock music) can sound too bright and thin, IMO....YMMV

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #68 of 83

Quote:
Quote:
Because it lacks impact and the tonal balance is too light for rock in many people's opinion.

The mids lack impact, weight and fullness compared to a lot of other phones I've heard...and my speakers. Sometimes snare drums(very prominent in most rock music) can sound too bright and thin, IMO....YMMV

thank you!

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #69 of 83
@ dscythe
You might want to try a forum search for phones for rock. FWIR the k601 would be the one to go for if you want the AKG sound signature. You'll need a good amp with those

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #71 of 83
I have owned the 702 for a year now and I have never heard some of the claims made here by some posters. I use the 702 with the Schitt Asgard amp and the Burson HA-160. Both sound great. I recently played Tom Petty's MOJO cd and they sounded rock solid. Yesterday I played Bruce Springsteen's remastered cd Darkness on the Edge of Town. The cd over the 702/Schitt combo was superb in every regard, across the entire frequency spectrum. The notion that certain headphones can only sound good with certain types of music seems silly. The AKG was designed as a studio monitor phone and as a neutral transducer of sound. Many who complain about the so- called lean sound usually prefer much more colored headphones. That sound signature is their preference, but does not mean other phones that don't match their ideal are somehow flawed or unworthy. 
Studio engineers do not have a different set of cans for each type of musical genre and neither do most listeners. I think music lovers would be better served investing their money in a quality source, phone and amp rather than spray money in can after can trying to find the perfect sound.
I would think that switching phones on song after song rather than sitting back and just enjoying your system would be maddening. I would recommend you try the 702 and the Burson HA-160. This combo kicks some serious tail and will challenge most high end cans. I know, I'm running the Burson with the HD800, which is my all time favorite combo, but the AKG makes no apology's and makes for a tremendous budget system. Check out the 6moons review on this combo.  

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #72 of 83
macbob73 wrote: "The AKG was designed as a studio monitor phone and as a neutral transducer of sound."

Yes that's right, but so was the dt48 and the k240DF and many others. Yet they don't all sound the same, right? So there's always an ongoing debate about what 'neutral' is. If the 70X sounds good to you though, that's all that matters. The dt48 FWIR, is supposed to be as flat as you get(at least throughout the midrange) yet it has a totally different sound signature than the 70X. I think many regard the hd600 as fairly neutral too, but I don't imagine it sounds like the 70X either. Only your own ears can tell you which is best...for rock, or any other genre. I think it's a mistake to assume that because the dt48, the 240DF or some other phone sounds very different than the 70X that it's necessarily 'colored'. The dt48 is colored? A lot of folks here would dispute that.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #73 of 83

As much as I'm aware of their many flaws, I still find myself thoroughly enjoying my K701s. I think they are a bit too bright and on the cold side, so they fail to reproduce some instruments with ultimate fidelity, like pianos.

However, I just love their sense of space and at the same time the intimacy that they give the listener. It's kind of a light and easy going sound, so to speak, and it really suits many of the music genres I've been listening to recently, like chillout and lounge music, but they still do well in jazz and classical. Not so much in rock though, at which they sound REALLY bright to me.

When I ordered the K1000s, I thought it would be a matter of time until I sold their younger siblings. They're still here, and I don't see them going anywhere. Also, because of comfort and practicality issues, I end up spending more time with them then with the K1000s.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #74 of 83
Theyre all colored in some way. If there was a headphone where I couldn't find a sound sig within a few days of use then I think I might have found the holy grail. Every Headphone Ive tried has a sound signature/coloration. No headphones has ever came close to reality yet. Some can suspend disbelief better than others but when listening analytically I dare a headphone company to make a perfect headphone without colorations and any kind or sound of its own and send me one :)

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #75 of 83
Has anyone ever heard cymbals done realistically on a headphone that didn't pull the cymbals back?

Quote:
Theyre all colored in some way. If there was a headphone where I couldn't find a sound sig within a few days of use then I think I might have found the holy grail. Every Headphone Ive tried has a sound signature/coloration. No headphones has ever came close to reality yet. Some can suspend disbelief better than others but when listening analytically I dare a headphone company to make a perfect headphone without colorations and any kind or sound of its own and send me one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back