Rediscovering the AKG K701!
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
After playing with other toys for the last few months, I went back to the K701 yesterday and they do sound amazing. It's like electrostatic sound without its inherent problems (lack of bottom, a bit glaring and brittle on top). OK, I was using the ASL tube amp but still, I love the open, balanced and fast sound. Yes, open, unfettered sound....not everything glued together. Percussion pops, vocals sound real, strings full and rich. Bass is balanced and natural. Unbombastic. That's what I'd call this sound. And it works with any type of music. Yeah, I'm so glad I kept these!

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 83
yeah they're have natural and cleand sound, but sometimes I just feel the vocal too laidback (unless I crank up the volume)

what amp can bring the vocal a bit more forward? I know it can't be like Grado, but still, I need to bring the vocal more upfront a bit, I need it for low volume listening 
smile.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 83
I really wish I still had these. I'm still in disbelief that they're now $300-$400! I'm not sure what made the price go up or if AKG just raised the prices.

One reason I wanted to try them out again is that I recently bought some cheap $99 K240's and love them. The vocals remind me exactly how they sounded on the AKG 701, but they almost sound a bit better on the k240. Vocals on both I find to be VERY good, but not GREAT. Better then most everything else though. Not my DJ 100 though.

I sold my AKG 701 because I had to pick between those and my HD-600. I wasn't looking at the big picture and the main reason was only because stringed instruments sounded better on the HD-600 and vocals sounded more natural. With the two, they're so different to me that you can't simply just pick one. I find the level of detail on the 701 is far better and I like how it's less laid back. One other reason I kept my HD-600 is due to better comfort. I have a small head! The HD-600 was also far easier to drive and I liked it's bass.

Last year I bought the AKG 702 and somehow the fit was worse and the highs were kind of fatiguing. I never had this problem with my AKG 701! Must have been due to not enough burn-in.

I really now want to try the 600 ohm version of the k240. Probably close to impossible to find. I'd also like to try the k501. I wonder if the mids/vocals are just as good with the k601 compared to the k501? Probably not. It seems like the k601 is just as expensive as the 701!

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 83
For the past few months, these boards would have at least one or more used K701s for $200 or thereabouts in great condition, and it's going to take a new marketing push to make these an item of desire. I'm fully aware of their limitations - especially after listening to the HD800 - but this turns out to be, at least for me, my best stereo purchase. Matched with the right source, the sound is clear, concise, and powerful. With chamber music, the sound is intimate and involving.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 83
The K701s are indeed special.  I parted with a pair of K702s (my first "high-end" headphones), only to find out that I missed them a lot, so I ended up buying a pair of K701s later.

Even now that I own the HD800s, the K701s aren't going anywhere.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 83
Their MSRP is supposed to be $500 or so - I think no one was buying them for a time, so the price went down to $200 something. Perhaps there is a more limited stock now.

I, too, love these headphones. I sold pretty much everything else and only use the K702 or the AD700 at home now. Unbombastic is a good way to put them! They are very refined and smooth. When I want bombastic I use my new K518's or crank up my sound system with a 15" sub =)

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 83
I bought them fairly cheap,the reason being they were the only headphones which moved me at a meet,and I'am talking various headphones like GS1000,T1 and many other including Stax.

I really admire the way they sound,not for rock but everything else.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 83

Quote:
Vocals is the only department where my K702 is lacking. Else they are great headphones and competitive as a flagship model.

What amp and source are you using?

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 83
actually I love vocal at K701, it's sounds natural and good for female voice, but that laidback sounding can kill the fun (and emotion) factor from a song, especially for low volume listening, yeah I think that the weakness of K701 that I most hate. (but for medium and high volume it sounds really great)

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 83

Quote:
actually I love vocal at K701, it's sounds natural and good for female voice, but that laidback sounding can kill the fun (and emotion) factor from a song, especially for low volume listening, yeah I think that the weakness of K701 that I most hate. (but for medium and high volume it sounds really great)

exactly the same opinion, Bro... K701 is difficult to beat on female vocal (Amanda McBroom, Katie Melua for example)... not any of my other phones (HD580, V-Jays and HF2) can touch it (the closest is V-Jays, though still in a far distant)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back