Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Sep 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #616 of 1,076
Hi. I am hoping someone with more expertise can enlighten me. Recently, 2 different pairs of Sony R10 headphones have sold for more than US$6000 - one in this forum and one on ebay. I understand the law of diminishing returns, which suggests the last 1% of performance is the most expensive, but can ANYONE justify this price on a performance basis (ignoring collector value). I have not heard any of the recent crop of hyper-priced wood enclosed headphones, primarily because I have no reason to replace my Sennheiser 650's. The JVC DX1000, from descriptions I have read in this forum, are so good as to be difficult to improve upon. The JVC's are readily available, brand new, for a whopping 83% discount compared to a used R10!!! This smacks of hysteria, so I'm hoping someone who has actually experienced the R10's (hopefully Skylab???) can offer some insight into their worth. Thank you.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #617 of 1,076
Anything Grado
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #618 of 1,076
Grado 325i. Aggressive, great guitars, great immediacy, splendid detail. Comfort is okay unless one wants to wear it all day (don't). These are my favourite open cans.

AKG 271s. Smooth, comfortable, great midrange, accurate like good studio monitors, could mix with them, fine all 'round presentation. There are my favourite closed cans.

Yuin PK1. For those of us on the move (who carry a headphone amp). Very good bass, big sound for little earbuds, fine soundstage. A good choice for those of us who don't want to go the I.E.M. route.

Runner's up:

Grado SR 60 -- best bang for the buck. Great for portalbe applications (no need to amp).
AKG 301 -- analystical, precise, good jazz cans, decent bass, fine midrange.
Yuin PK2 -- excellent earbud, full head phone sound sans amplification,
possibly the best buy in the Yuin PK series.
Sennheiser HD-595 -- comfortable, good all 'round open cans. Don't need to amplify. Nice balanced sound. A bit more forward sounding than the HD 580.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #619 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelo225544 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I am hoping someone with more expertise can enlighten me. Recently, 2 different pairs of Sony R10 headphones have sold for more than US$6000 - one in this forum and one on ebay. I understand the law of diminishing returns, which suggests the last 1% of performance is the most expensive, but can ANYONE justify this price on a performance basis (ignoring collector value). I have not heard any of the recent crop of hyper-priced wood enclosed headphones, primarily because I have no reason to replace my Sennheiser 650's. The JVC DX1000, from descriptions I have read in this forum, are so good as to be difficult to improve upon. The JVC's are readily available, brand new, for a whopping 83% discount compared to a used R10!!! This smacks of hysteria, so I'm hoping someone who has actually experienced the R10's (hopefully Skylab???) can offer some insight into their worth. Thank you.

I bought my R10 this year at the inflated pricing, and I thought it was worth every penny I spent on it. My words will never do justice for this work of art. So, until you hear one...
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #620 of 1,076
I recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT990s. IMO they are the best sounding dynamic headphones I've ever heard (with proper amplification).

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #621 of 1,076
Hi all, well i have been using iems and now want to try headphones (tried it probably once) and well i will be using it mostly at home wif my laptop and my ipod, something comfortable. looking for something less than 90... well now im thinking of the grado sr60. soo would anyone advise me on this or is there any headphones better for me? thx! ._.

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #622 of 1,076
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a new set of headphones used mostly for PC gaming (with a bit of music/movies on the side). I'm not too sure what I want, but I know my budget is $150 AUD max. Can someone give me some recommendations please?

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #624 of 1,076
On a budget, I would definitely recommend the AD700, its amazing considering the prices you can find it at.

The DT-880 is the only other can i've really tried that is more expensive than the AD700, and I must say the sharpness and clarity of everything I listen to on these absolutely blow me away.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #625 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoardC3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 Sennheiser 580 - NOT ROCK HEADPHONES these are smooth, laid back, and i consider them boring. I seriously did fall asleep many times while listening to hard rock with these on

same!

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #626 of 1,076
koss ksc75

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #627 of 1,076
Hey all, I just bought the Denon AH-D2000's and they are amazing. Natural, non-muddied bass, that still manages to produce a forceful impact. Meanwhile, both the low and high ends are crystal clear and can definally hear things in recordings that i could not hear with my grado sr 80's (although the grado's are still a great price-to-quality deal). Best of all, they are closed back headphones with an open-backed sound quality. If i had to find a criticism, id note the length of the cord (its very long, although their meant for home use so...)

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #628 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a budget, I would definitely recommend the AD700, its amazing considering the prices you can find it at.

The DT-880 is the only other can i've really tried that is more expensive than the AD700, and I must say the sharpness and clarity of everything I listen to on these absolutely blow me away.

Yep I have to say its price tag unbelievable

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #629 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MrHoopla...
My choice would be the ATH AD700's for all 3 of your questions. Definitely the most comfortable (but big).

I dont agree with AD700 is the most comfortable one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back