Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Jul 28, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #601 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tells us your need and we'll give you some feedback, sr225s leak and are not the most comforatble headphone, but offer clear and strong mids in a way very unique for their price.

Interesting!
I have the same headphone inventory as you. Right down to the Lambda pros.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #603 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by therock003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take your word that there is no favorites when it comes to headphones, but what is it so special about them, that makes them so expensive (up to thousands) while iems max out at 499 retail?

Using Stax as an example, since they fall in the "best" and "very expensive" category, Stax engineers spend literally tens of thousands of hours developing new driver and amp designs. They have to recoup that investment somehow.
Second, the electronic components that go into electrostatic drivers and amps are produced to extremely precise specifications and are thus very expensive to acquire.
Third, electrostics must have their own dedicated amps which are called "enegerziers". These are paired with the drivers both to provide the high levels of power that electrostats require and to provide proprietary sound processing.
Finally, they charge the extremely high prices because they can. That is just how capitalism works. There is definitely a demand in the audiphile community and they are meeting the demand. I for one currently have Lambda pros with a 313 stax amp. Used such a setup can be had, when you can find one for somewhere around $600-800, once in a great while less. I paid $450 for my latest setup a couple of years ago. When I go to sell it I will be able to actually make a substantial "profit" because the prices of these things just go up, virtually never down.
I would not hesitate to fork out $3000+ for an omega II setup if and when I have the money. To me it would be worth it to go to that next level in sound, but that is not the case for most people.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #604 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by therock003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take your word that there is no favorites when it comes to headphones, but what is it so special about them, that makes them so expensive (up to thousands) while iems max out at 499 retail?

One final note. I have the "top of the line" IEMs that you are referring to, the Shure SE530s and I love them. They are my favorites when using my 80GB zune paired with my ibasso boa amp. They are just not in the same league as the Stax for mid range and highs. They do come close in bass. In fact another phone I have the Senn HD650s has bass which I actually prefer over the Stax.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #605 of 1,076
Spammer!!! Quote:

Originally Posted by samflutch007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...to a stereophonic and monophonic.

the unfinished wikipedia quote continues: Quote:

or binaural audio-frequency signal source such as an audio amplifier, radio or CD player. In the context of telecommunication, the term headset is used to describe a combination of headphone and microphone used for two-way communication, for example with a telephone.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #606 of 1,076
So the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO have the best bass in the $100 to $150 price range? Also, the guide says thay're $150 but I can't find them for that price anywhere.
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #608 of 1,076
Out of Grado SR-60's, Senn HD-555, and Audio Technica ATH-AD700....

Which would be the best pair to go along with my Zune 80. I listen mostly to Progressive Rock and Post Rock.

Also which of these headphones would produce the "warmest" sound?

And which is the most comfortable?

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #609 of 1,076
Sony:
SA3000/SA5000
MDR-XD series, I own the XD100 but the XD400 is supposed to be excellent.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #610 of 1,076
MrHoopla...
My choice would be the ATH AD700's for all 3 of your questions. Definitely the most comfortable (but big).

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #612 of 1,076
JVC HA-L50-lightwight, foldable and a nice 1.5m long cord.

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #613 of 1,076
here's what I'm looking for:

under $200USD
minimal sound leakage in and out
covers the ear fuly (not resting on the ear)
not too honking big

DENON AH-D1001K or the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or something else?

GO!!

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #615 of 1,076
hi im new to the headphone market as i have been using my shure e4c IEM and im quite satisfied with it. i have recently bought 2 headphones, the sennheiser 280 pros and the sony 7506s, and both are returnable. so im now deciding which to return, or even both. because im not an audiophile so i would like to ask for you guys' opinion on these 2 pairs of headphones.
my initial impressions are that the sennheisers are somewhat lacking in bass and the mids arent really clear, and the sonys have a smiley face frequency response, but i could be wrong as a lot of people on the internet are saying that these sonys are sonically neutral.
are there better closed, circumaural cans out there that u guys can recommend around this price range? ($100) what im looking for in headphones is a flat frequency response, with decent clarity and details, no smiley face (which i hate) nor bloated or boomy bass. soundstage isnt really a big issue to me cuz i know i cant expect much from a pair of closed 'phones.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back