Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Nov 28, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #646 of 1,076
First off let me state that i am new to this site as well as the high end area of headphones. The reason that i am perusing the forums is because i am in college and the major that i am going into is going to require that i get a good set of headphones. So what i would like to know is what headphones you would consider to be a good choice for both studio style listening as well as listening to music on my computer or Zune. I listen to all kinds of music so no restrictions based on whether a pair works well with just rock or just classical. I am looking for something that will be comfortable for long periods of listening that will give clear sound. I have heard a lot of good things about Grados as well as AKG and Senn and being ignorant of good headphones i wanted a more educated opinion.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #647 of 1,076
Started with Sennheiser HD280's and graduated to Senn 570's - was a true Sennheiser affectionado - until I tried my first pair of Grados - SR60's and like wow no looking back - gonna move up through the Grado series for the next while ....

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #648 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCUCEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off let me state that i am new to this site as well as the high end area of headphones. The reason that i am perusing the forums is because i am in college and the major that i am going into is going to require that i get a good set of headphones. So what i would like to know is what headphones you would consider to be a good choice for both studio style listening as well as listening to music on my computer or Zune. I listen to all kinds of music so no restrictions based on whether a pair works well with just rock or just classical. I am looking for something that will be comfortable for long periods of listening that will give clear sound. I have heard a lot of good things about Grados as well as AKG and Senn and being ignorant of good headphones i wanted a more educated opinion.

Thanks

Welcome to Head-Fi! It always makes me happy to see people actually doing research before settling with something crappy like Bose Triports
confused_face(1).gif

As a college student myself, I can tell you from experience it'll be important to get a set of closed headphones to (a) prevent sound from leaking out so anyone around you can hear it and (b) so you can block out any sound around you. This is assuming, however, you will be living in the same room (ie - dorm) as someone else. If you're not, it's not really important.

Before we go any further, tell us a little bit more. What's your budget? Is sound leaking a big concern? Will it be important to block out sound around you? List some of your FAVORITE bands. What will your source be?

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #649 of 1,076
Well for the most part I don't have a specific type of music that I listen to. My Zune has artist like Disturbed and Rob Zombie on it to Rascal Flats to Apocalyptic. I do live in a dorm and I don't really want people around me hearing what in listening to. I do plan on using them for studio monitoring and such when i get to that level class as well. As for price i know that some of the good headphones can be in the 500+ range, but i think the most i would pay would be around 350.

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #650 of 1,076
Open Cans
At home or possibly portable = Grado 225
At home = Grado 325i

These cans can be used upamped, but amping them is desirable.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #651 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCUCEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for the most part I don't have a specific type of music that I listen to. My Zune has artist like Disturbed and Rob Zombie on it to Rascal Flats to Apocalyptic. I do live in a dorm and I don't really want people around me hearing what in listening to. I do plan on using them for studio monitoring and such when i get to that level class as well. As for price i know that some of the good headphones can be in the 500+ range, but i think the most i would pay would be around 350.

All the artists on your Zune point you towards something in the Grado/Alessandro line IMO; however, both these lines leak sound tremendously. So, if you need a good set of closed cans for those artists, I won't be able to help you from experience...

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #653 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new to headphone.
anyone can suggest me at good one?
i mostly listen to heavy metal stuff like opeth ,cob,metallica,arch enemy and i would like the headphone that doesnt leak sound!!

I recommend the Stax 4070.
A really nice pair of headphones, which handle all kind of music. Its closed-back and hence don't leak much sound either.
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #654 of 1,076
I am in search of a good set of headphones to use for listening to most all kinds of music, as well for the use of studio work due to my major in college. I have narrowed it down to about 5 sets of Closed cans that i think that my wallet can suffer buying and i was wanting an opinion from the more educated people of the headphones world. Senn HD 280 Pro, AKG K272HD, AKG K172HD, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, Ultrasone PRO 550. Im looking for a closed back headphone, preferably in the area of $150 or less that can be used and still sound good without the use of an amp. Thanks

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #655 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the Stax 4070.
A really nice pair of headphones, which handle all kind of music. Its closed-back and hence don't leak much sound either.
smile.gif

wow,the price is too much for me.
looking for something around $300.
and earphone and headphone ,which one's better?
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #657 of 1,076
Hey,

Im looking at getting some new headphones for christmas, my budget will be around £50 max, but could go a tiny extra if its really worth it.

My source is just an ipod, unamped.

My music taste is anything from Kings of Leon to Killers, Jeff Buckley to Justice, Blink 182 to the Beatles and the Beach Boys! (My last.fm is Danny23’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm if you want a closer look at my taste)

I dont want anything huge as I'll wear them walking to uni and on the train, something around the AKG K412/K518 size would be ideal.

As for current phones, I only own a pair of PX100's, so I would like a big upgrade.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #658 of 1,076
guess grado sr80 will be a bit too much, but the PX100 is hard to beat in it's price segment.
I have a month long experience with the Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5 which i bought at ebay for $80, directly from hong kong. they're highly recommended, especially in regards to a natural and balanced sound quality. but as they're circum aural you'll probably find them a bit bulky, and of course you might hate the somewhat special design. But please consider them, although circum aural they're quite tight, and don't jump around on your head as supra aural tend to do. plus, as they're closed back type, they cancell out some of the annoying background noise (so you don't have to max out on volume when you're taking the bus, or just being generally metropolitan). Sadly there's not much else i can recommend to you, but as a friendly advise i can add that if you genuinely love music, keep away from KOSS porta pro an everything by bose, just so you don't get burned repeatedly as i have been
mad.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #659 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guess grado sr80 will be a bit too much, but the PX100 is hard to beat in it's price segment.
I have a month long experience with the Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5 which i bought at ebay for $80, directly from hong kong. they're highly recommended, especially in regards to a natural and balanced sound quality. but as they're circum aural you'll probably find them a bit bulky, and of course you might hate the somewhat special design. But please consider them, although circum aural they're quite tight, and don't jump around on your head as supra aural tend to do. plus, as they're closed back type, they cancell out some of the annoying background noise (so you don't have to max out on volume when you're taking the bus, or just being generally metropolitan). Sadly there's not much else i can recommend to you, but as a friendly advise i can add that if you genuinely love music, keep away from KOSS porta pro an everything by bose, just so you don't get burned repeatedly as i have been
mad.gif

Thanks for your reply, unfortunatley the ATH-SQ5's looks slightly out of my budget coming out around £65 with p+p.

Plus im asking for these off my parents for xmas, so the long postage could be alittle worrying. They actually look like some nice heaadphones too!

Have you had any experience with AKG K518's? They seem to be recommened alot, and are on amazon uk for £37 delivered.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #660 of 1,076
Hi, looking for some headphones >£100 for use mostly with metal but that includes folk metal and also some DnB and other electronic. Would like closed back headphones i think to block out city noise. Also all the headphones i've had up till now have been the kind of **** you'd get from a pound shop i'm afraid, so it'd be pretty pointless asking what i like.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back