Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Dec 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #676 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I should clarify I would not get the AKG unless you plan to get an amp. It will not harm them to run them un-amped for a few weeks. They will simply not run at thier full potential. I am under the impression that the AKGs are much higher priced than the AT's or Grado and the AT's and Grados will run well un-amped because they are low impedence cans. Of The AT's and Grados I would choose the Grados for thier "Fun" presentation over the AT's flat reference style.

I am going to go with the iBasso D3 in a few weeks. So I'll go with AKG that I'll be using for classical and techno music.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #678 of 1,076
ok guys im torn as well, ive been spending a LOT of time reading over reviews. i love my music and do a lot of listening but am new to the realm of nice headphones. I travel a lot, and mainly listen to things like CSNY or Sigur ros-esqe music, so folk/ambient. im looking for clarity and a kind of breadth to the sound that i want to hear. i am looking in the 100-170 price range and am right now torn between the ATH-ES7 and the ATH-A700 any advise would be greatly appreciated and if you have any others to recommend or if i am way off base please tell me.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #683 of 1,076
^ Well done!
Neither are among the "best headphone on the market", which this thread are all about, but hopefully you will be pleased.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #684 of 1,076
I'd like to recommend the Philips SHL9500.

They, on average, cost only around 30-50$ (depending on where you find them), and they have amazing sound quality for the lower price range that they are in.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #685 of 1,076
Hi
I am restarting work recording voiceovers
Currently in studio. Prob therefore best to have closed headphones,
Current ones are heavy and it is tiring after a few hours so what do I get?
Using PC a lot so prefer not to have to use a preamp.
Thanks for any advice

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #686 of 1,076
After using my Sony MDR-7506 for a long while, I am seeking something to help replace it. I have done a couple of quick glance and was looking at two particular headphones: the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and ATH-A900. Seeing that I am also open to other opinions, I'd like to hear what other folks say about these two as well as suggesting other brand/model as alternative. I do not wish to spend US$300 for the replacement so whatever the price that I see for the A900 seems to be the upper limit (around 250-ish). I listen to a variety of tunes via my PC and sometimes my iPod (but I use my iPod earphones for that) -- rock, jpop, anime tunes, techno/electronica, rap/r&b, orchestra/classical... or "anything except country." I do not have the best hearing in the world. But I'd like to have a decent sound quality as well as staging but they also need to be closed yet comfortable to wear for long listening sessions (4 hours or more). There are also times when I'll be using them for gaming sessions (when I am unable to use my big speakers).

Anyways, I have read/heard good things from Audio Technica but I also know that everyone has different hearing. A friend of mine bought the ATH-A500 and was amazed at the comfort designs for them. I am not particularly fond of in-ear design and I have yet to try that yet. I hope to narrow my choices and selections down to just one or lean on a particular model. But I need some guidance first. As a final question, what is the difference (other than its specifications) between the A700 and A900? Can one model jump make a large difference to warrant the extra cost? Thanks for posting all of your experiences and having a place for me to look through for research.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #687 of 1,076
My vote goes to the AKG K701. I have been trying to like the HD 650 but I haven't been able to get over its slightly muffled sound and constricted soundstage in comparison to the AKG. The 650 certainly looks better on my head, though.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #688 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes to the AKG K701. I have been trying to like the HD 650 but I haven't been able to get over its slightly muffled sound and constricted soundstage in comparison to the AKG. The 650 certainly looks better on my head, though.
wink.gif

I know what you are talking about but it also depends upon the amp. Some can really bring out the 650's and some sound a little veiled. I have found it to be amplifier dependent rather than a true fault of the headphones.

I can listen now on my very modified Woo 6 and hear all the detail, bass slam and quality that I thought was missing before. It can present a very nice soundscape.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #689 of 1,076
Alrighty then! I won't give up on it just yet. I haven't tried it on my NAD receiver: I'll do that for starters. So far it has just seen the Little Dot Mk II, and a Purity Audio Caliente. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back