RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #2,251 of 3,674
The lower tiers are easy - things that I didn't like at all, or considered that they had some major issues etc etc - if something is a bottom of the barrel, Tier 5 IEM, hearing something even worse won't change that.

It's mostly Tier 1 and 2 that are really problematic. Back when I heard the A18t for the first time it was genuinely one of the best things on the market. Now, sure it's still great, but there's also a bunch of IEMs that beat it at its own game for less. That whole "relativity" of the ranking list kinda kills the point of having tiers.

I've also had quite a lot of questions that Imo defeated the purpose of the ranking list along the lines of "I was curious about X, but I saw you ranked it as a Tier 2 so maybe I shouldn't bother," which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish - go try everything you can try, be curious about IEMs, don't take my rambles as any sort of gospel and ultimately, form your own ranking lists in your head

Some of the absolute best things I've heard are Tier 2's, some of my friends' favourite stuff are Tier 4s and definitely Tier 3s as well.

The part of the ranking list that I do want to keep in one way or another however is the short description of the IEMs - I feel like that's a great resource for anyone getting into the hobby, they can get an idea of what a bunch of stuff is like in most general terms.

I might make a big chart as a post on this thread where I keep doing that, with no particular ranking or order
I started this journey following Crin's rankings and that adherence to rankings stuck with me for a long time. I mean, who doesn't want to own or aspire to 'the best'.

But the longer you're in the hobby the more you realise how problematic this is, especially since rankings are basically only one data point from one person in a subjective hobby where no two people will rank IEMs the same way. But since 'friendly' competition is a major part of this hobby, rankings will always appeal, especially to newcomers who want to find the fastest way to 'the top'.

I've also abandoned scoring completely, and taken scores off my blog reviews. Ultimately they're more detrimental than useful.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,252 of 3,674
I started this journey following Crin's rankings and that adherence to rankings stuck with me for a long time. I mean, who doesn't want to own or aspire to 'the best'.

But the longer you're in the hobby the more you realise how problematic this is, especially since rankings are basically only one data point from one person in a subjective hobby where no two people will rank IEMs the same way. But since 'friendly' competition is a major part of this hobby, rankings will always appeal, especially to newcomers who want to find the fastest way to 'the top'.

I've also abandoned scoring completely, and taken scores off my blog reviews. Ultimately they're more detrimental than useful.
Yeah I can imagine it is also quite overwhelming to start researching a hobby with hundreds of options - you don't even know what 95% of the terms mean (I know a guy who had spent over 20k on audio and didn't know what "treble" was) so having a simple ranking that tells you "buy this, don't buy this" must be really assuring

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #2,253 of 3,674
... so having a simple ranking that tells you "buy this, don't buy this" must be really assuring
On the other hand, this is also why various gaming mags and sites abandoned grading altogether, since it caused the crap-masterpiece dichotomy where little could exist in between.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #2,254 of 3,674
On the other hand, this is also why various gaming mags and sites abandoned grading altogether, since it caused the crap-masterpiece dichotomy where little could exist in between.
yeah, much like grading video games, grading IEMs is basically grading your own enjoyment which is 100% irrelevant to the enjoyment of everyone else

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #2,255 of 3,674

No one person is going to ever write the only definitive review of all the IEMs in existence everywhere. What has happened in the last year is we now have 6K IEMs as well as a market fracture in price. Meaning it’s the same as it’s ever been.....it’s purely subjective what stuff is worth. Still..........the user group that can afford 4-6K IEMs is only so many. Only a few are even going to find opinion of those important.

Fact is there is a huge difference between 2 and 6 thousand dollars. Some of course are going to value that they exist. I haven’t heard “The Bird” or “The Mason” but I’m sure they are worth it to some. They most likely sound dynamite! Value is subjective.

A list (while subjective) is important as it has always been due to the curiosity at hand. People get a reputation built on how well they can determine the value based on sound. People are then respected due to ongoing reliability and perceived understanding of IEMs.

The fact that I am not buying any new 6K IEMs is a statement of my financial place in life. That is always of course relevant. Will the market be able to support such lavish IEMs, I think so? I’m sure a 10K IEM is just around the corner.

What does it mean for Head-Fi? This place has always had a wide spectrum of prices. It is simply hard for one person to make a definitive list, that’s all. Still everyone has value in what they write.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #2,256 of 3,674

It’s kinda fun ranking IEM’s but yeah as you said, it’s problematic trying follow any particular persons ranking list like gospel and basing purchases on them.

I also followed Crinacles list closely when I first started and for the most part, I still think it’s a pretty good list for newbies IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,257 of 3,674
Yeah I can imagine it is also quite overwhelming to start researching a hobby with hundreds of options - you don't even know what 95% of the terms mean (I know a guy who had spent over 20k on audio and didn't know what "treble" was) so having a simple ranking that tells you "buy this, don't buy this" must be really assuring
The problem is I didn't even give the IEMs below A ranking a second look. So you tend to miss out on some great IEMs simply because someone doesn't rate them for whatever reason.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2,258 of 3,674
The problem is I didn't even give the IEMs below A ranking a second look. So you tend to miss out on some great IEMs simply because someone doesn't rate them for whatever reason.
Yeah most of my favourite stuff is his B/C tier haha. Of his A tier I really liked the Z1R and the A12t but I can't think of many others I clicked with

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #2,259 of 3,674
I suppose where do we draw the line?
The majority of the market, Many of whom may not be on these forums will gravitate to other than the 6k market.

Cayin recently sent me the Cayin Fantasy which arrived today as part of the head-fi tour. $800US. Rather than plug it into a Chord TT2, I took the venerable m11pro out.

Stock tips that are original attachment.
4.4mm balanced cable that came as an accessory. And they’re enjoyable! A fun, forward mid centric, vibrant dynamic driver sound. Great dynamic attack. Mildly bright but fun. Reminds me of the Utopia although not quite the same league in detail retrieval, separation and layering. And a heck of a lot cheaper than my Trailii / Chord TT2 IEM endgame.

These are just initial impressions with no burn in. But we don’t need to spend >6k to have fun. And the vast majority of us won’t. Heck, for many $800US is already up there.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #2,260 of 3,674
For me it is all of these comments and observations over time that add up to what the story is for a particular IEM.

When I get to hear it for myself, than I seem to truly get what it does for my listening.

The Thummim is one I may have missed out on if all I did was trust a single review as this one was not universally loved, and it turned out to hit a sweet spot for me with trio Jazz. Based on what reviews I read, videos I watched, graphs I looked at, I do not think I could have predicted that.

Anyway appreciate all of your contributions, thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,261 of 3,674
For me it is all of these comments and observations over time that add up to what the story is for a particular IEM.

When I get to hear it for myself, than I seem to truly get what it does for my listening.

The Thummim is one I may have missed out if all I did was trust a single review as this one was not universally loved, and it turned out to hit a sweet spot for me with trio Jazz. Based on what reviews I read, videos I watched, graphs I looked at, I do not think I could have predicted that.

Anyway appreciate all of your contributions, thank you.
The Thummim is an exceptional IEM, I still believe that very, very firmly. I have actually reaquired it since I traded it a few weeks back - should have it next week or the one after that latest :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #2,262 of 3,674
Cross posted from the Fantasy IEM thread. I agree wholeheartedly that source synergy plays a huge part of how we perceive the overall source. We all have different calibration points and preferences also.

The advantage of having a Hugo2 and Cayin C9 allows me to tune the sound signature depending on preference and the IEM presentation. I’m not a fan of EQ via DSP so adjust my sound based on equipment sources.

I’ve postulated the Fantasy was tuned with the C9 in mind. Whilst the HF roll off filter on the Hugo2 didn’t quite modulate the bright presentation enough, switching back to incisive neutral and plugging in the C9 did.

Class A/Tube on the C9 just synergises beautifully. Perhaps one of the best matches to the C9 I’ve heard. It brings out a more organic sound, warmth and tames that somewhat bright treble. The C9 also opens up the soundstage which becomes more holographic also.

Treble Extension isn’t Trailii Electrostatic level but that’s not fair for a single DD. I’d be interested in the graph, I suspect they need to tune the IEM with the Trailii treble scoop!!!

I will note not many Fantasy owners will have a 2Go/Hugo2 plugged into a C9. The source cost is about 5x (or more) than the Fantasy. If I had heard these blind to the cost, I would have placed them north of the $800US. They’re every bit as good technically as CFA IEM’s I’ve heard a few hundred dollars more. Though your YMMV if you were running these straight out of a DAP. The C9 does make a significant improvement to the tonality and enjoyability of the Fantasy.

Yet to plug in the SP2K but my heart tells me this will probably be my ideal.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #2,263 of 3,674
Cross posted from the Fantasy IEM thread. I agree wholeheartedly that source synergy plays a huge part of how we perceive the overall source. We all have different calibration points and preferences also.

The advantage of having a Hugo2 and Cayin C9 allows me to tune the sound signature depending on preference and the IEM presentation. I’m not a fan of EQ via DSP so adjust my sound based on equipment sources.

I’ve postulated the Fantasy was tuned with the C9 in mind. Whilst the HF roll off filter on the Hugo2 didn’t quite modulate the bright presentation enough, switching back to incisive neutral and plugging in the C9 did.

Class A/Tube on the C9 just synergises beautifully. Perhaps one of the best matches to the C9 I’ve heard. It brings out a more organic sound, warmth and tames that somewhat bright treble. The C9 also opens up the soundstage somewhat.

Treble Extension isn’t Trailii Electrostatic level but that’s not fair for a single DD. I’d be interested in the graph, I suspect they need to tune the IEM with the Trailii treble scoop!!!

I will note not many Fantasy owners will have a 2Go/Hugo2 plugged into a C9. The source cost is about 5x (or more) than the Fantasy. If I had heard these blind to the cost, I would have placed them north of the $800US. They’re every bit as good technically as CFA IEM’s I’ve heard a few hundred dollars more. Though your YMMV if you were running these straight out of a DAP

Yet to plug in the SP2K but my heart tells me this will probably be my ideal.
I'd actually be very curious to try it!

I've got the Softears RSV waiting for me at home, and it is one of the few 700$ IEMs I will have the chance to demo and review. I've heard pretty great things about it, so it might be cool to maybe get a sub-1000$ shootout with the most respectable models

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,264 of 3,674
I'd actually be very curious to try it!

I've got the Softears RSV waiting for me at home, and it is one of the few 700$ IEMs I will have the chance to demo and review. I've heard pretty great things about it, so it might be cool to maybe get a sub-1000$ shootout with the most respectable models
It’s been on my to do to see how the single DD compares. There’s Solaris but with Chi-Fi there’s the oriolus isabellae and Dunu Luna which would be comparisons with the Cayin Fantasy.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,265 of 3,674
For a bit bass-head and as a cheaper option, UM also has the 3DT.

I also love Dunu EST112, a very fun IEM as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back