RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #3,061 of 3,674
AK SP2000T review and impressions post

Apologies for the delay on this one... I typed the whole thing up except one small section but then didn't save it anywhere and Head-Fi deleted it after like a day - big ugh

Anyways... Let's talk SP2000T, the first tube/hybrid player by AK!

Right off the bat, and I suppose I am sorry to disappoint, I have to say that the difference between the three modes is small. On the IE900 I can barely tell them apart if at all, while on the A18S I can catch some subtle differences such as the bass texture and treble quantity. This review only really covers the hybrid mode, since I find it is the most optimal of the three regardless of the IEM that’s hooked up to it, combining the clarity of the SS and the bass texture and dynamics of the tubes.

On sound, the SP2000T is mostly linear to my ears, maybe a hint of an L shape due to the tasteful bass boost that the tubes provide, but Imo the “value” that they deliver is more in the presentation, texture and dynamics than it is in the FR impact. It is a pretty significant departure from the house AK sound in that there’s no noticeable upper midrange or treble boost, and instead focuses on a more relaxed and pleasing sound, that delivers incredible technical ability through dynamics and staging instead of tuning.

The bass of the SP2000T deserves an honorable mention in that it’s pretty much the absolute best I’ve heard out of anything portable – it just oozes texture, detail, rumble and pure thump without boosting it nearly as far as something like the WM1Z. What astounds me most is that it is able to do all that while maintaining a clean, fast and agile presentation, able to keep up with any performance no matter how messy or muddy.

The midrange is pretty much linear and unaffected. No major bumps, with a healthy quantity of lower mids. Nothing especially big to mention here, which is great since I was quite worried about a huge upper midrange "clarity" bump.

The treble is a hint subdued at times and in certain pairings. I'm not sure if burn in helped with that or my mind just adjusted to it after having spent a long while with the N6II Ti, but I could personally use a touch more sparkle and zing. It's not bad at all, the quality is up there, it's just not quite as treble-head-y as I'm used to.

AK has never been a slouch where technical ability is concerned, and the SP2000T continues to deliver. The dynamics are, to me, its most outstanding quality, creating a pitch-black background allowing for the separation and detail to flow effortlessly. The staging is both wide and deep too, which combined with the dynamics, makes for a highly holographic experience.

On build quality and general UI, AK is among the very best, outperforming the Cayin N6II Ti in every way. The DAP is rather sleek and thin as well as decently light, so it’s been more comfortable having it in my pocket all day instead of the N6II. It’s still on the large side, but it’s not as much of a brick. Yay for 4.4, I guess it’s nice having 2.5 for demo units but 2.5 is dead anyways.

Haven’t tried streaming on it, and I doubt I will – installing and updating the APKs is pretty annoying and with Tidal rippers it’s a bit unnecessary anyways.

The choice for the color of the stock case is rather odd, a bit like a Lamborghini yellow. Honestly it looks much nicer in person than it does in all the photos I’ve seen, but I’ll still replace it with a Dignis once they release their SP2000T case. The onyx black is gorgeous, hats off to AK for that one.

Comparisons

• Cayin N6II Ti R01 – The R01 has some of the best treble I’ve ever heard, but it is somewhat forward and thin in comparison to the SP2000T. Quite good in certain pairings like the A12t, but was absolutely horrible with the Traillii because of how forward the combination became. Would personally favor the SP2000T quite heavily due to the more forgiving tuning and better staging and dynamics.
  • Lotoo PAW6000 – the PAW6000 is absolutely incredible for its price. I’d personally consider the SP2000T to be the direct, straightforward upgrade to it.
Verdict? Even though the SP2000T goes for that slightly warm/linear sound, it matches warmer IEMs like the A18S incredibly well, while also balancing brighter stuff in the way I’d expect it to. That gives it the level of versatility I’d expect from any TOTL DAP and the option to own it as your only DAP.

Recommended within TOTL setups and generally when budget isn’t an issue. I love it personally, paid almost full retail for it and am quite glad I did.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,062 of 3,674
FD25E155-8E4B-4AC6-9851-2D7F00BA50D5.jpeg

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #3,064 of 3,674
A bit of an impulse blast from the past... repurchased the A18t last night - third review coming in soon :D
Lol i thought you already had it

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #3,065 of 3,674
Lol i thought you already had it
I had the A18t back in the day yeah, it was my first CIEM actually.. owned the U18t twice as well so I guess this is my fourth venture into it? It used to be too dry for me but now I really enjoy that sound so I figure it would be a really good, brighter addition to the collection

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,066 of 3,674
A18t is a classic, for sure!

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #3,067 of 3,674
Craft Ears Aurum in the house! Only a few songs in but sounding heavenly off the SP2000T - might just be the best upper treble I've heard from an estat

The 1000$ segment is becoming insane, first the IE900 and now this :O

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #3,069 of 3,674
Now i am intrigued !! waiting on some music and more impressions!!!
Based on what I'm hearing from the Aurum I'm placing an order for their CE6 as well... I can't wait to get home to hook up the Aeneid to them to see what happens :D

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #3,072 of 3,674
Craft Ears Aurum.PNG

Personal feelings on the IEM: Love love love. I'm not really saying the Aurum is one of the best things you can get around the 1000 euro mark, I'm saying the Aurum is one of the best things money can buy at any price point, and especially so if you enjoy a more forward and aggressive upper treble response which I've come to crave. Stupid technical (might be the most technical IEM I've heard), huge stage, unreal treble, fast and precise bass with some of that DD texture. Midrange can be a touch aggressive at times with albums like Anderson Paak's Malibu, but definitely within the "enjoyable" category still. If you do get one, definitely run it off something warm, the PAW S1 and PAW6000 do well, but the SP2000T is in a category of its own for brighter IEMs. It still isn't SO bright that I need the full tube mode for it - I've run it exclusively on hybrid.

To me the Aurum feels like a "this is what technical ability can be" statement, sacrificing some musicality in the process, but in its niche, it absolutely slaughters. As I mentioned in the infographic it doesn't quite sound natural, but it has an exceptional ethereal quality (a little reminiscent of the Fourte/Fourte Noir but less weird and quirky)

Welcome to the Thummim / A18S family of excitement Aurum, and I look forward to receiving it as a CIEM in a few weeks!

Disclaimer: The Aurum is stupid difficult to drive. I'm hovering between 90 and 110 volume on my SP2000T

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,073 of 3,674
Oh yes this IEM was the one to push my gear to levels unseen before, happily the S1 was almost able to deal with it

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,074 of 3,674

Personal feelings on the IEM: Love love love. I'm not really saying the Aurum is one of the best things you can get around the 1000 euro mark, I'm saying the Aurum is one of the best things money can buy at any price point, and especially so if you enjoy a more forward and aggressive upper treble response which I've come to crave. Stupid technical (might be the most technical IEM I've heard), huge stage, unreal treble, fast and precise bass with some of that DD texture. Midrange can be a touch aggressive at times with albums like Anderson Paak's Malibu, but definitely within the "enjoyable" category still. If you do get one, definitely run it off something warm, the PAW S1 and PAW6000 do well, but the SP2000T is in a category of its own for brighter IEMs. It still isn't SO bright that I need the full tube mode for it - I've run it exclusively on hybrid.

To me the Aurum feels like a "this is what technical ability can be" statement, sacrificing some musicality in the process, but in its niche, it absolutely slaughters. As I mentioned in the infographic it doesn't quite sound natural, but it has an exceptional ethereal quality (a little reminiscent of the Fourte/Fourte Noir but less weird and quirky)

Welcome to the Thummim / A18S family of excitement Aurum, and I look forward to receiving it as a CIEM in a few weeks!

Disclaimer: The Aurum is stupid difficult to drive. I'm hovering between 90 and 110 volume on my SP2000T
Hello,
can you do a comparison vs Mest Mkii ?
I love my treble,

thank you,

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #3,075 of 3,674
AK SP2000T review and impressions post

Apologies for the delay on this one... I typed the whole thing up except one small section but then didn't save it anywhere and Head-Fi deleted it after like a day - big ugh

Anyways... Let's talk SP2000T, the first tube/hybrid player by AK!

Right off the bat, and I suppose I am sorry to disappoint, I have to say that the difference between the three modes is small. On the IE900 I can barely tell them apart if at all, while on the A18S I can catch some subtle differences such as the bass texture and treble quantity. This review only really covers the hybrid mode, since I find it is the most optimal of the three regardless of the IEM that’s hooked up to it, combining the clarity of the SS and the bass texture and dynamics of the tubes.

On sound, the SP2000T is mostly linear to my ears, maybe a hint of an L shape due to the tasteful bass boost that the tubes provide, but Imo the “value” that they deliver is more in the presentation, texture and dynamics than it is in the FR impact. It is a pretty significant departure from the house AK sound in that there’s no noticeable upper midrange or treble boost, and instead focuses on a more relaxed and pleasing sound, that delivers incredible technical ability through dynamics and staging instead of tuning.

The bass of the SP2000T deserves an honorable mention in that it’s pretty much the absolute best I’ve heard out of anything portable – it just oozes texture, detail, rumble and pure thump without boosting it nearly as far as something like the WM1Z. What astounds me most is that it is able to do all that while maintaining a clean, fast and agile presentation, able to keep up with any performance no matter how messy or muddy.

The midrange is pretty much linear and unaffected. No major bumps, with a healthy quantity of lower mids. Nothing especially big to mention here, which is great since I was quite worried about a huge upper midrange "clarity" bump.

The treble is a hint subdued at times and in certain pairings. I'm not sure if burn in helped with that or my mind just adjusted to it after having spent a long while with the N6II Ti, but I could personally use a touch more sparkle and zing. It's not bad at all, the quality is up there, it's just not quite as treble-head-y as I'm used to.

AK has never been a slouch where technical ability is concerned, and the SP2000T continues to deliver. The dynamics are, to me, its most outstanding quality, creating a pitch-black background allowing for the separation and detail to flow effortlessly. The staging is both wide and deep too, which combined with the dynamics, makes for a highly holographic experience.

On build quality and general UI, AK is among the very best, outperforming the Cayin N6II Ti in every way. The DAP is rather sleek and thin as well as decently light, so it’s been more comfortable having it in my pocket all day instead of the N6II. It’s still on the large side, but it’s not as much of a brick. Yay for 4.4, I guess it’s nice having 2.5 for demo units but 2.5 is dead anyways.

Haven’t tried streaming on it, and I doubt I will – installing and updating the APKs is pretty annoying and with Tidal rippers it’s a bit unnecessary anyways.

The choice for the color of the stock case is rather odd, a bit like a Lamborghini yellow. Honestly it looks much nicer in person than it does in all the photos I’ve seen, but I’ll still replace it with a Dignis once they release their SP2000T case. The onyx black is gorgeous, hats off to AK for that one.

Comparisons

• Cayin N6II Ti R01 – The R01 has some of the best treble I’ve ever heard, but it is somewhat forward and thin in comparison to the SP2000T. Quite good in certain pairings like the A12t, but was absolutely horrible with the Traillii because of how forward the combination became. Would personally favor the SP2000T quite heavily due to the more forgiving tuning and better staging and dynamics.
  • Lotoo PAW6000 – the PAW6000 is absolutely incredible for its price. I’d personally consider the SP2000T to be the direct, straightforward upgrade to it.
Verdict? Even though the SP2000T goes for that slightly warm/linear sound, it matches warmer IEMs like the A18S incredibly well, while also balancing brighter stuff in the way I’d expect it to. That gives it the level of versatility I’d expect from any TOTL DAP and the option to own it as your only DAP.

Recommended within TOTL setups and generally when budget isn’t an issue. I love it personally, paid almost full retail for it and am quite glad I did.
Were you able to try the SP2000T with the Traillii? I’m wondering if the Traillii would benefit from a warmer source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back