RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Oct 24, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #781 of 3,674
The LPGT? The Alpha I have isn’t technically mine but I’ll be submitting payment very soon :D

@gLer @xenithon i haven’t heard the R8 myself but AFAIK it’s been getting pretty mixed feedback - makes more sensitive IEMs hiss apparently and the volume wheel is something that a few mates who had one quite disliked - they all returned or sold theirs almost instantly. Would love to try it though, apparently the UI is incredible
I love the placement of the wheel on the R8 instead of the sideway, it's easier to change it when it's sitting flat on the surface. Soundwise, absolutely amazing from the R8 and plenty powerful!!

I would again buy an AK DAP only if the UAPP app supported that!

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #782 of 3,674
I love the placement of the wheel on the R8 instead of the sideway, it's easier to change it when it's sitting flat on the surface. Soundwise, absolutely amazing from the R8 and plenty powerful!!

I would again buy an AK DAP only if the UAPP app supported that!
Agreed, without UAPP and a way to get other apps like Solid Explorer and Plex on board, any DAP, not just AK, is a non-starter for me.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #784 of 3,674
Great read thanks for the detailed impressions of the Alpha!

I haven’t heard the R8 myself but AFAIK it’s been getting pretty mixed feedback - makes more sensitive IEMs hiss apparently and the volume wheel is something that a few mates who had one quite disliked - they all returned or sold theirs almost instantly. Would love to try it though, apparently the UI is incredible

Honestly I don't have Andromeda or Zeus but I have no hiss issues with any in my collection. The volume wheel coming from LPGT honestly not very different (granted a bit looser and easier to turn) so I don't get the bad rep... sure DX220 Max analog wheel was a pure dream but to intense if you find the SP1000/2000 to be offensive then even if it's less of an issue on the Max it's still quite intense. The UI and speed is great but the SQ is even better IMHO, that is if you like a more relaxed, smooth and refined tuning. I'd be very cautious about bad feedback from short ownership of new units...give it 200 hours burn in otherwise you're missing the point of the R8 it's like a Sony DAP in that respect... packing an impressive number of Hi-Poly, Tantalum and ELNA capacitors...those take time to burn in.

If I had to sum it up R8 has things that I liked in the WM1Z (rich, smooth, organic with powerful bass and superb micro dynamics) but with more transparency (not up to LPGT levels but pretty great for the signature) and resolution with a more open soundstage. Contrary to what I have often read, not below DX220 Max just a different signature.

I'll sure have an audition of the Alpha although it seems like a rougher signature...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #786 of 3,674

Honestly I don't have Andromeda or Zeus but I have no hiss issues with any in my collection. The volume wheel coming from LPGT honestly not very different (granted a bit looser and easier to turn) so I don't get the bad rep... sure DX220 Max analog wheel was a pure dream but to intense if you find the SP1000/2000 to be offensive then even if it's less of an issue on the Max it's still quite intense. The UI and speed is great but the SQ is even better IMHO, that is if you like a more relaxed, smooth and refined tuning. I'd be very cautious about bad feedback from short ownership of new units...give it 200 hours burn in otherwise you're missing the point of the R8 it's like a Sony DAP in that respect... packing an impressive number of Hi-Poly, Tantalum and ELNA capacitors...those take time to burn in.

If I had to sum it up R8 has things that I liked in the WM1Z (rich, smooth, organic with powerful bass and superb micro dynamics) but with more transparency (not up to LPGT levels but pretty great for the signature) and resolution with a more open soundstage. Contrary to what I have often read, not below DX220 Max just a different signature.

I'll sure have an audition of the Alpha although it seems like a rougher signature...
The 220 Max is just too big for me to be able to even consider really - when I use DAPs I need to be able to take them out and about - the Alpha is pretty much about as big as I think I would be comfortable with. With iBasso there's also the UI, which I always found to lack smoothness - it kinda sends me back to when smartphones were first released :D

On sound, I wouldn't quite say the Alpha gets to a rough signature - it's just a touch brighter than the LPGT, which I find to be pretty much at absolute dead neutral. It's much more neutral than other AKs though, and I think that's a great move on their part

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #787 of 3,674
The 220 Max is just too big for me to be able to even consider really - when I use DAPs I need to be able to take them out and about - the Alpha is pretty much about as big as I think I would be comfortable with. With iBasso there's also the UI, which I always found to lack smoothness - it kinda sends me back to when smartphones were first released :D

On sound, I wouldn't quite say the Alpha gets to a rough signature - it's just a touch brighter than the LPGT, which I find to be pretty much at absolute dead neutral. It's much more neutral than other AKs though, and I think that's a great move on their part
You really should get hold of an R8 Michael. I think you'll be very impressed.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #788 of 3,674
You really should get hold of an R8 Michael. I think you'll be very impressed.
I'd love to try it - I'll see if I can hunt down a demo, but I don't think I'd blind buy one :frowning2: In general DAPs don't really excite me all that much, the Alpha is an absolute outliar in that respect, and the power to drive planars is what really got me going in this case

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #789 of 3,674

Exactly my impression David. The tonality is so similar between R8 and 1Z with DMP FW mod, but R8 has more transparency.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #790 of 3,674
Astell and Kern KANN Alpha - the most brutally overloaded little piece of **** that I've ever had the pleasure of coming across

This will be a relatively short initial impression post as there's so much and so little to be said about this DAP at the same time... long story short this is pretty much the perfect DAP, period. I received a demo from my Spanish dealer today (supersonido.es - super nice shop with loads of good deals, I'd recommend checking it out), but my guy actually sent me a brand new sealed unit - I guess he didn't mind using it as a demo if I didn't want to keep it but yeah, it was pretty smart to send me a brand new unit cause this DAP ain't going nowhere - in fact it's about to trigger such a sell off on my end that I'm going to end up with some 1500 euros net by getting it and that is if I do not sell any desktop amps because of it...

I'm not really the type that uses Bluetooth and all those Connect features and whatnot, so these impressions will pretty much just cover the essentials, with a focus on how it sounds with IEMs and HPs.

1. The power that this offers is nothing short of incredible - it drives both the Diana and the Diana Phi with ease, and it doesn't just get them to a decent volume (the LPGT does that when you almost max it out), it actually gets those planars moving properly. You get the full range, from impactful and present bass, to a full midrange, to well controlled and extended treble with none of that graininess that you often get out of amps that don't power the HPs adequately. Listening to the Diana V2 out of the KANN Alpha I am actually getting the sensation of it reaching its full potential on both technical ability and tonality. I'm looking forward to trying the Abyss 1266 TC on it - just as a guesstimate, it might be able to just about drive it without quite getting it to 100%, as I'm currently reaching about 2/3 of the volume listening to the Diana's. Of the two I personally prefer the Diana V2 pairing as the KANN Alpha has a clearer, slightly brighter signature, and the Phi benefits from a warmer source.

2. Streaming - I can deal with listening to my personal collection on the go as I've downloaded some 30GB of "essentials," but let's face it, it's 2020. Streaming should be standard by this point

3. Size - it is actually very compact for what it is. The size of the Alpha is pretty much that of the LPGT with the case, and weight is quite similar too. I used it outside twice today with 0 troubles of fitting it in the pocket of my jeans. It's a little bulky but not really anywhere near "massive" territory like the Cube

IMG-3069.jpg IMG-3068.jpg

4. Battery life - over 14 hours on low gain. Sign me the **** up, please and thank you. Most of the time I'll probably be using the Alpha in low gain anyways, as I get to a volume level of about 70-80/150 on the A18S and Thummim, no need to even go on the Mid Gain for those. It does tend to get a little fiery on High Gain -and the battery does drain faster naturally - I'll run some tests to see how long it can survive for while playing Tidal on High Gain to get an idea of just how long you can run HPs with it.

5. Sound (IEMs) - all of this would naturally be pretty irrelevant if the DAP were all functionality and no performance (FiiO M11 I'm looking at you) - the KANN Alpha delivers and then some - on raw performance and tonality I'd still lean towards the LPGT as that delivers a little slower, more satisfying and textured bass, while the Alpha has an especially fast low end - it doesn't suck out bass quantity, and actually has better impact and presence than most AKs I've tried, but it also isn't really the kind of bass that really sucks you in and makes you want MOAR

The midrange and treble on the Alpha are both geared towards clarity, but this time around AK didn't overdo it. The SP1000M that I owned back in the day went for the usual fake it till you make it upper midrange bump and the SP2000 got my Elysium to sibilant (which I didn't think was possible :D) - I love the SR25 as that also has more neutral (i.e less bright) tonality, but as you go higher in their offerings you end up with more and more treble for the most part. Anyhow, to get back to the Alpha, I find it that while it does provide a small boost in the treble (somewhere in the lower upper treble from initial estimate, 10k-ish), it actually retains a certain fullness in the signature that I especially enjoy. I'd still recommend to pair it with warmer monitors - I currently only have the A18S and Thummim here with me, but I can definitely see it overdoing the clarity if paired with something that's already bright as is. All in all, slightly clinical but not overly so.

Tonality aside, the part that I find to be absolutely crucial for any good DAP is the technical ability, and the Alpha really nails it. Staging is nothing short of massive, pushing the width of the Thummim even further than the LPGT, but losing out on some height in the process. Detail retrieval and instrumental separation are top notch, couldn't really ask for much more.

Verdict

I generally don't get super excited by DAPs and sources and whatnot, they always felt like more of a means to an end to me than a proper standalone product that I drool over and really follow and buy/sell actively. The Alpha is probably the first DAP that's really gotten my blood flowing, and I mean... with this kind of power, battery life, streaming AND a decently compact body on top of it all, how can it not?

Easily recommended for IEMs, and the only DAP I can genuinely recommend if you plan on driving headphones.

IMG-3074.jpg
Thanks. very informative review. Do you think Alpha drive CFA Solaris 2020 well with a good clarity and overall balance performance? Appreciate you share your thought.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #791 of 3,674
Thanks. very informative review. Do you think Alpha drive CFA Solaris 2020 well with a good clarity and overall balance performance? Appreciate you share your thought.
I’m personally not the biggest fan of the Solaris 2020 as I find it to be a little too thin/bright, so I’d go for a very warm source for it. The Alpha is closer to neutral with a hint of brightness which might not play all that well with what is already a clarity-focused IEM :)

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #792 of 3,674
Can you say something about battery life? I'm currently looking for a DAP which ups the ante in regards to technicalities compared to the DX160 and this may be an interesting option, but i would mostly use it mobile...

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #793 of 3,674
Can you say something about battery life? I'm currently looking for a DAP which ups the ante in regards to technicalities compared to the DX160 and this may be an interesting option, but i would mostly use it mobile...
The official number is 14.5 hours and in my experience AK DAP battery lives have been pretty consistent with what they declare. I haven’t had the chance to properly test the battery as I’ve been at home for the most part, but will update you as soon as I do :)

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #794 of 3,674
The official number is 14.5 hours and in my experience AK DAP battery lives have been pretty consistent with what they declare. I haven’t had the chance to properly test the battery as I’ve been at home for the most part, but will update you as soon as I do :)

Many thanks! That would be surprisingly good (clearly better than the DX160) for such a powerhouse and one more point in favor of it.

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #795 of 3,674
Many thanks! That would be surprisingly good (clearly better than the DX160) for such a powerhouse and one more point in favor of it.
Battery life is huge for me as well, and I’ve been absolutely loving the AK SR25 with its 20 hours. I quite miss the WM1Z with its endless battery, but the ultra low power is a pretty big issue for electrets, and these days I’m leaning more towards chains that consist of neutral sources and warmer IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back