RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Oct 9, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #751 of 3,674
A short ramble about endgame HP and IEM setups

Endgame - new phone who dis

The legendary "endgame" is a word that keeps getting thrown around on Head-Fi, more often than not by someone who's just gotten a new IEM or DAP or cable, and in the attempt to convince themselves (and on the off chance, someone else too), they chant "end-game-end-game-end-game" - the legend holds that if a moderator sees that you've found your endgame they'll ban your IP address from ever registering on Head-Fi again, and you'll be safe from the plague that is the audio hobby.

Yeah unfortunately that's not how it works, and within a week or two you're once again on the prowl for the next best thing to see just how far you can take your insanity, and how much you can spend before your wife threatens with a divorce. But hey, that's showbiz baby

My approach to said legendary endgame is a little different in that I'd say it's not about a singular omnipotent endgame IEM, but instead about multiple (as many as you'd like really) endgame setups - and an endgame setup to me is one that you can listen to without anything further being desired. I believe this "chain" building element is a little more relevant where headphones are concerned, for several reasons:

1. Variety. There's a whole lotta IEMs on the market, and most companies tend to refresh their TOTLs almost yearly. An IEM model that is 2 or 3 years old barely holds any relevance (with a few notable exceptions like the VE Erl and 64 A12t), so with this kind of quantity of products being released, it becomes much easier to simply find something that works for you, than to really have to build a setup around an IEM that is mostly optimal for you but could use some work in an area or two. In general if someone tells me they've gotten a new IEM, but they'd really like to change two or three things about it, IMHO it's way easier to simply change the IEM as the chances are, exactly what you're looking for already exists.

Headphones on the other hand tend to enjoy a much longer shelf life. An HP model that's one or two years old is practically considered to be still in the "brand new" category, and we have models like the Utopia and LCD4, which are even older than that and still without any real update by the companies that made them. I'm not as informed about the HP market as I am about the IEM market, but AFAIK, most of the HP companies actually develop their drivers which naturally implies a much higher RnD cost compared to an IEM, which is mostly a question of implementation and tuning

It's not that there isn't enough headphones on the market, it's rather that there's just a more limited amount of options compared to the sea of IEMs out there, and considering that each one seems to come with its own 5000$ amp recommendation, it might seem very closed off to any potential newcomers

2. Drivability. Freaks like the oBravo Ra and EE Wraith aside, for the most part IEMs can be driven by mostly any half-decent DAP on the market, so it can really be as simple as getting a decently neutral and technical DAP/dongle (Lotoo PAW S1 being a prime example of that), and just finding an IEM that suits you well. DAPs and sources do have the potential to make a lot of difference in IEMs, but realistically, you can get a really good idea what an IEM sounds like pretty much right off the bat.

Headphones, unfortunately, tend to be a whole lot more pretentious. You've got power requirements depending on driver types, you've got to worry about synergies too, listening conditions, manufacturer recommendations yadda yadda - it also does not help that every other dealer recommends at least a 5000$ tube amp that needs another 2000$ to really be optimal before you've even heard your headphones - what a load of ****

I do not disagree with the statement that headphones require a pretty substantial chain building. I've tried some 5-6 amps with the Diana V2, and depending on which one I go with the signature and ability of the headphone changes more so than mostly any change I've experienced with a set of IEMs and a different source. The trouble here is that it isn't just a question of the inherent signature of an amp, but rather whether or not the amp can provide sufficient current to actually get the drivers moving properly. So far from my experience this is most relevant with planars, but I'll be experimenting with dynamics as well to see if they have similar quirks and needs

My approach where headphones are concerned

1. Desktop amps/DACs

I've picked a warm amplifier (the HeadAmp GSX Mini), and a transparent one (the Topping A90) - after a lot of reading those are the two that had quite consistently glowing reviews, and are powerful enough to drive just about anything on the market, so we'd essentially be eliminating the whole "oh but you aren't feeding them enough current" argument

Both amps are driven by two decently neutral DACs (the Hugo 2 and the RME ADI 2), in order to be sure that what's actually introducing the majority of the coloration is the driver and not the source.

The reason why I've picked both a warm and a transparent amplifier is to give headphones a better shot considering that they are a fair bit more setup dependent than most IEMs - my approach to the portable market is driving everything out of the already very powerful and neutral LPGT, which gives me a really good idea of what something was essentially meant to sound like before any coloration is introduced by the source. I've stated previously it's the ultimate reviewer DAP in my ever so humble opinion, and my current HP setup is essentially trying to replicate that - find a combination of some DACs and amps that tell me what the headphone actually sounds like in a slightly more neutral as well as a slightly warmer environment, and evaluate them based on that

Now, if some TOTL headphone doesn't sound right or appealing to me out of either of these amplifiers, and the forums state "oh yeah you need this specific amplifier or these don't work at all otherwise" I'm pretty much going to be attributing that to a poor design that forces you into a ridiculously expensive purchase after you've already spent a ridiculous amount of money. The amplifier becomes a band aid to existing headphone issues as opposed to an enhancement of its already positive qualities.

2. Portable amps and DACs

Similar approach here. LPGT in line out (DAC) mode, with a warm amp (the ifi micro BL), and a more neutral/transparent one (Romi BX2) - both of them very powerful and both should be more than sufficient to drive almost anything on the market. The DAC tends to have a pretty limited effect on the sound as a whole anyhow, so as long as it isn't some radically coloured one it shouldn't be a night and day difference anyhow

With all of this out of the way, the proper headphone reviews and rankings shall begin!

First proper impressions, pair ups and reviews will be of the Diana V2, the 1266 Phi CC and the Rosson Rad-0. My local dealer has access to tons of headphones though, so I'll be able to build up a pretty good amount of impressions decently quickly and get a ranking started

How do you think the Micro Black label sounds with the Diana? VS the Romi? You might be interested in the new Signature they just announced. It takes 4.4mm. I'm interested in it since my Diana I run via 2.5mm

Oct 10, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #752 of 3,674
How do you think the Micro Black label sounds with the Diana? VS the Romi? You might be interested in the new Signature they just announced. It takes 4.4mm. I'm interested in it since my Diana I run via 2.5mm
Hey bud I'm going to be able to update you on that soon. I'm mostly doing my listening off the HeadAmp right now as that pairing is just far too enjoyable and I haven't started the more proper review listening for the Diana :D

If I ever manage to sell that Rosson though I'm actually considering the Diana Phi as well. The 1266 is a little cold throughout the midrange so it might be going up for sale too, but it's all in a bit of a limbo right now, with the Diana and the GSX Mini being the only two that are def staying

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #753 of 3,674
Hey bud I'm going to be able to update you on that soon. I'm mostly doing my listening off the HeadAmp right now as that pairing is just far too enjoyable and I haven't started the more proper review listening for the Diana :D

If I ever manage to sell that Rosson though I'm actually considering the Diana Phi as well. The 1266 is a little cold throughout the midrange so it might be going up for sale too, but it's all in a bit of a limbo right now, with the Diana and the GSX Mini being the only two that are def staying
Just saw your 1266 up for sale. Hope you get a quick sale, as I am curious what will come next. :popcorn: (Yes, I am living vicariously through your headphone adventures.:grin:)

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #754 of 3,674
Just saw your 1266 up for sale. Hope you get a quick sale, as I am curious what will come next. :popcorn: (Yes, I am living vicariously through your headphone adventures.:grin:)
Yup I sent a certain Zach an e-mail regarding a crazy design of a closed back headphone... if the Phi CC or Rosson manage to sell fast enough I might be jumping on one :wink:

Thankfully there’s a long weekend ahead so I’ll be able to make a post on each before either ships out so there’ll be plenty of content!

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #755 of 3,674
The Abyss 1266 Phi CC (2018 version) - *almost* perfection.

Now this one is going to be tough review to write. As I sit and put the words together it almost feels like I'm slating what is essentially one of the most sophisticated, detailed, engaging and generally grand headphones anyone has produced, with but one to two flaws that in my use case, made it more worth the sale than the keep.

The good

To start with the good, these have the best bass I've heard, bar none. I'm not talking IEMs, I'm not talking closed backs here, open backs, speakers, concerts - the 1266 Phi CC is to me, the single bass kind of audio, giving you the kind of detail that will make your jaw drop, while also producing just enough warmth, decay and impact to give you that physicality of the bass and not just the sensation of it. The only other transducer that somewhat reminded me of it was the MMR Thummim (on several accounts actually), but as with all IEMs, the bass pressure is way higher and while the notes are much more clearly present and audible, there's just something about the 1266 that I can't seem to shake. It might be the sheer size of the bass notes - huge fan.

The second massive plus for the 1266 Phi CC is the treble. It is extremely well controlled and extended, making cymbals more detailed and enjoyable than I have heard them on once again, just about anything other than maybe the IER Z1R. I'd still say the Abyss is the clear winner here, and it does have the kind of treble performance that will make you question whether or not you've even heard treble before. This only further enhances the detail that is audible throughout the spectrum, and at first it is actually so overwhelming, I thought that something was wrong with my amplifier and what I was hearing was a distortion of some kind.

Abyss have managed to balanced that detail extremely well though, where it doesn't show up as a simple 8k spike that makes just about everything but classical garbage to listen to, but have instead done that through insane refinement and sheer quality. The decently high upper to lower treble ratio is also one that I'm a big fan of, and while the 1266 does come across a little dry in the higher registers, I think it is a small price to pay considering just how much you're getting out of them at the same time.

Other than detail. the 1266 delivers on just about every single aspect of technical ability. Insanely large staging that isn't diffused as it is with a lot of open backs - you get the width, depth and height but can also place exactly what is happening and where it is happening very precisely. I personally hate that "floaty" open back sound which seems designed to make you "close your eyes and get lost the music", but hey - to each his own. I personally enjoy the specificity that up until now, I had found only IEMs could deliver - thankfully though, a few HP models that I'm discovering are also able to produce that, which is pretty much the whole reason I'm sitting here chatting **** about HPs.

The dealbreaker

4-5 paragraphs of praise in, a few of you might be wondering why I haven't already kept them and put them right on the top of every ranking list I'll ever put together - and the simple reason for that, is the midrange. For some unholy reason, the 1266 Phi CC has quite a "sharp" midrange - I keep looking for a better word in order to describe it, but sharp is literally the only one that comes to mind. It is not sibilant, it is not shouty (thank lawd for that especially), it has no dis-balance between the lower and upper midrange, but instead it just comes across as a little jagged. Vocals feel like they don't have the necessary time to really articulate their emotion correctly, rushing through the performance. Usually I can explain what's wrong way more clearly, but this is genuinely the first time I've heard an effect like that. Most listening has been done on the already warm HeadAmp GSX Mini, so I personally wouldn't attribute the coldness throughout the midrange to amplification, unless you go for some ultra HAWT tube amp

I've also heard that the superconductor cable for the 1266 Phi CC is able to add some more of that sweetness/warmth to the midrange, but I didn't feel like risking 2500 euros on a cable for well... obvious reasons :D

My final criticism would be the comfort. When I first put them on they felt great because they're basically a ski/bike helmet that you strap to your head and it makes you feel all cozy and safe, but about an hour in the solidity of the headphones starts to actually become quite burdensome and really takes away from the enjoyment of wearing them. One of the main reasons why I'm investing headphones is specifically the comfort of just slapping them on your head - the Diana V2 doesn't feel super solid when I put it one, but I find it is extremely light and comfortable and actually works extremely well for my head shape from the looks of it.

Conclusions? As I've said in a few of the previous posts I'm quite new to the HP hobby, so I don't want to get ahead of myself. I've heard the 1266 TC is a solid 10-20% improvement on the Phi CC, and also the final iteration of the 1266 series, so I most certainly look forward to hearing that. Jumping on it blind isn't really as much of an option now considering the major comfort issues I had with the 1266 Phi CC however.

In the current form of the headphone being reviewed, I'd say the 1266 Phi CC has an incredible balance between raw technical ability and sheer engagement, only held back by its midrange/vocal presentation. If you're properly into metal or rock on the other hand, literally look no further. The White Stripes have never sounded this good on anything... ever. As I've stated previously though, my aim is to find gear that works for me with anything and everything as my playlists are super varied and being tied to specific genres doesn't quite get the job done

Tentative grade would be a tier 2.1, but to be determined. The Diana V2 to me remains the better all rounder headphone of the two, but I've grown especially curious towards the Diana Phi as that is meant to be a smaller version of the 1266 driver, with the ergonomics of the Diana V2, which really work for me.

Next up for the thread: full Diana V2 pair up post/review, Verite C (on its way to me), Rosson Audio Rad-0, possibly the Senn HD800S, oBravo EAMT1C - I've got some days off due to some health issues so the thread is most likely going back in full steam :D

IMG_4695.JPG

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #756 of 3,674

i would love some vicarious pics of that lovely star aka Barnie

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #757 of 3,674
A few suuuuper initial impressions of the VC based on a few hours of listening - currently using them with the pads that they came with, I haven't tried the other included set - I'll include those in the more complete set of pair-up/tweaking impressions and then the full review :)

First and foremost on packaging - absolutely exceptional. I love the wooden box, it might just be the best unboxing experience of any headphone or IEM I've owned. Easy 10/10 here

The color and build is amazing, even though it is a fair bit darker than in the photos. I haven't been able to view them in a more natural light yet, but so far so good, without it being quite as jawdropping as they are in the photos - they isolate extremely well though, and that'll certainly come in handy for any potential office or busy home use.

Most importantly however, the sound - I quite like the "neutral with a bass boost" description, and I'd be quite inclined to agree with it. More specifically though:

The bass - I find it has a really good blend between the traditional headphone sound (i.e that size and dispersion through space), and the higher pressure bass that IEMs are capable of putting out. It has really good impact and slam, without a medium-length decay, and decently north of neutral presence. Quite a satisfying bass response, and comfortably one of the better I've heard out of a headphone

Midrange/Vocals - While the bass of the Verite C has a more fun, impactful and satisfying nature, the midrange has somewhat more linear and mature tuning. Vocals strike an insanely good balance of transparency, body and soul - I am personally not one that enjoys directly enhanced vocals, so this is a huge blessing for me, and something that I've come to expect out of just about any TOTL headphone or IEM that I intend on keeping.

A few more recent comparisons in that respect that I think would provide a pretty good perspective would be the Diana V2 and the Abyss 1266 Phi CC - where the Diana has the warmest midrange of the three and in the process glosses over a little detail, the Phi CC doesn't miss a single breath but comes across a little synthetic and sharp, the Verite C comes just inbetween the two, providing exceptional detail without any harshness. I'd say actually that the VC will be able to offer a lovely replacement for my 1266 Phi CC, providing a more versatile sound all around.

Treble - big ooof I love it. Crisp, very detailed, and quite forward in the upper registers. Once again my preferred tuning, where ZMF have decided to prioritise the upper treble as opposed to the lower treble, which to my ears results in excellent clarity without leading to any sibilance, or unpleasant treble peaks with more mainstream music.

On the technical side, I haven't heard all that many closed back headphones, but the Verite C to me seems like a decently obvious winner in that respect. The staging is extremely wide and high (decently larger than that of the Diana V2 actually though I'm not certain which I prefer just yet in that respect). Detail as mentioned earlier is top notch - the dynamics I'd like to hold off on for now as I have a somewhat harder time judging those and would like to spend some more time with the headphone before making any proper calls

Initial verdict - the Verite Closed has the sound profile that I believe is a really good balance between fun and technical (leaning maybe a little more on the technical side based off of initial impressions, and being driven out of the LPGT/ifi iDSD BL), which is ultimately what I'm looking for in a keeper. Awesome work by ZMF, and a shoutout to @doctorjuggles and @skedra for the excellent recommendation!

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #758 of 3,674
A few suuuuper initial impressions of the VC based on a few hours of listening - currently using them with the pads that they came with, I haven't tried the other included set - I'll include those in the more complete set of pair-up/tweaking impressions and then the full review :)

First and foremost on packaging - absolutely exceptional. I love the wooden box, it might just be the best unboxing experience of any headphone or IEM I've owned. Easy 10/10 here

The color and build is amazing, even though it is a fair bit darker than in the photos. I haven't been able to view them in a more natural light yet, but so far so good, without it being quite as jawdropping as they are in the photos - they isolate extremely well though, and that'll certainly come in handy for any potential office or busy home use.

Most importantly however, the sound - I quite like the "neutral with a bass boost" description, and I'd be quite inclined to agree with it. More specifically though:

The bass - I find it has a really good blend between the traditional headphone sound (i.e that size and dispersion through space), and the higher pressure bass that IEMs are capable of putting out. It has really good impact and slam, without a medium-length decay, and decently north of neutral presence. Quite a satisfying bass response, and comfortably one of the better I've heard out of a headphone

Midrange/Vocals - While the bass of the Verite C has a more fun, impactful and satisfying nature, the midrange has somewhat more linear and mature tuning. Vocals strike an insanely good balance of transparency, body and soul - I am personally not one that enjoys directly enhanced vocals, so this is a huge blessing for me, and something that I've come to expect out of just about any TOTL headphone or IEM that I intend on keeping.

A few more recent comparisons in that respect that I think would provide a pretty good perspective would be the Diana V2 and the Abyss 1266 Phi CC - where the Diana has the warmest midrange of the three and in the process glosses over a little detail, the Phi CC doesn't miss a single breath but comes across a little synthetic and sharp, the Verite C comes just inbetween the two, providing exceptional detail without any harshness. I'd say actually that the VC will be able to offer a lovely replacement for my 1266 Phi CC, providing a more versatile sound all around.

Treble - big ooof I love it. Crisp, very detailed, and quite forward in the upper registers. Once again my preferred tuning, where ZMF have decided to prioritise the upper treble as opposed to the lower treble, which to my ears results in excellent clarity without leading to any sibilance, or unpleasant treble peaks with more mainstream music.

On the technical side, I haven't heard all that many closed back headphones, but the Verite C to me seems like a decently obvious winner in that respect. The staging is extremely wide and high (decently larger than that of the Diana V2 actually though I'm not certain which I prefer just yet in that respect). Detail as mentioned earlier is top notch - the dynamics I'd like to hold off on for now as I have a somewhat harder time judging those and would like to spend some more time with the headphone before making any proper calls

Initial verdict - the Verite Closed has the sound profile that I believe is a really good balance between fun and technical (leaning maybe a little more on the technical side based off of initial impressions, and being driven out of the LPGT/ifi iDSD BL), which is ultimately what I'm looking for in a keeper. Awesome work by ZMF, and a shoutout to @doctorjuggles and @skedra for the excellent recommendation!
Very nice initial review. Spot on, I'd say. Do please upload some pix in daylight if and when you get a moment. Would love to see some details on the finish.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #759 of 3,674

Excellent impressions of ZMF Verite Closed. I also agree that they are an excellent blend between technical and fun! And yes pictures are needed :)

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #760 of 3,674

Just as you I absolutely love my ZMF Verite Closed and it’s by far my favourite headphone!
I wish I had found an IEM that sounds similar to it (in small form factor or custom) but haven’t come across it just yet :)
Enjoy the VC!

Edit: If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to drop me a suggestion 😅

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #761 of 3,674
Just as you I absolutely love my ZMF Verite Closed and it’s by far my favourite headphone!
I wish I had found an IEM that sounds similar to it (in small form factor or custom) but haven’t come across it just yet :)
Enjoy the VC!

Edit: If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to drop me a suggestion 😅
Subject to a fair bit more listening before I can vouch for that, but the VC really reminds me of the A18S when paired with a more neutral/brighter source. Similarly “truthful” tonality throughout the midrange and treble, huge staging and just the bass bump you need to make sure the experience never becomes clinical

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #762 of 3,674
Small update - my curiosity would not let me go, so a Diana Phi is on its way to me along with a Burson Conductor 3R for some added warmth :D

Mostly everything else has been sold off, so we’re down to 3x amps and DACs and 3 needed setups (including an office IEM one) - exciting times for our synergy overlords!

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #764 of 3,674
Small update - my curiosity would not let me go, so a Diana Phi is on its way to me along with a Burson Conductor 3R for some added warmth :D

Mostly everything else has been sold off, so we’re down to 3x amps and DACs and 3 needed setups (including an office IEM one) - exciting times for our synergy overlords!
Small update...
Big investment...
:grin:

Very curious how you will compare the V2 and Phi, and of course if you are content with the Phi without that $6k amp. :wink: The Burson looks like a really good choice. Plus, I like the design. Perfect for on an office desk.
Just got my R8 after a month and a half, plus the BX2 Plus, a mini impression here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r8-user-impressions.917733/post-15919637

I may get the Diana V2 end of the year, but im very content now!
You still got them! Awesome! :grinning: What a nightmare that has been. Really happy it turned out okay in the end.

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #765 of 3,674
Just got my R8 after a month and a half, plus the BX2 Plus, a mini impression here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r8-user-impressions.917733/post-15919637

I may get the Diana V2 end of the year, but im very content now!

If nothing else, the R8 is pure packaging endgame... they’ve really outdone themselves there

Small update...
Big investment...
:grin:

Very curious how you will compare the V2 and Phi, and of course if you are content with the Phi without that $6k amp. :wink: The Burson looks like a really good choice. Plus, I like the design. Perfect for on an office desk.

You still got them! Awesome! :grinning: What a nightmare that has been. Really happy it turned out okay in the end.
Yeahhh when I sent the WhatsApp to the guy who sells them I literally opened with - “I’m after a Diana Phi, no point recommending me an AudioValve Solaris, I ain’t after that vibe” and we clicked nice and fast! :D

The Burson is quite compact indeed, and very sleek/modern looking so hopefully I won’t get a mid life crisis every time I power it up haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back