RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 1, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #271 of 3,674
Thanks @8481 & @Wyville

That Musicteck link never came up in my search. Boo!

I will check out the S1 thread regarding other adapters. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #272 of 3,674
The store actually has the Euforia to demo. The trouble is my IEMs are pretty warm as is, so I’m currently balancing that by using brighter, more technically proficient sources. I started off in the hobby by doing the opposite but so far this is working better for me
Might still be interesting to try out because the Euforia is actually a neutral amp and so should not add much warmth, whereas their Elise is indeed a typical tube amp with a warmer sound. I am jealous though because I now have three places where I could demo gear like the TT2, Dave and Euforia and all of them are located 2-3 hours from where I live. :disappointed:

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #273 of 3,674
Might still be interesting to try out because the Euforia is actually a neutral amp and so should not add much warmth, whereas their Elise is indeed a typical tube amp with a warmer sound. I am jealous though because I now have three places where I could demo gear like the TT2, Dave and Euforia and all of them are located 2-3 hours from where I live. :disappointed:
I lucked out super hard cause I have a store that’s less than 30 minutes away from where I live so I can comfortably go once a week or so. They also have campfire and a few other brands I can demo

I’ll try the Feliks stuff and I actually almost bought one when i got my Rosson (but then got bored and went back to IEMs) - If I do I’ll have to get a new desk as well as I’ve run completely out of space on mine :D

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #274 of 3,674
I lucked out super hard cause I have a store that’s less than 30 minutes away from where I live so I can comfortably go once a week or so. They also have campfire and a few other brands I can demo

I’ll try the Feliks stuff and I actually almost bought one when i got my Rosson (but then got bored and went back to IEMs) - If I do I’ll have to get a new desk as well as I’ve run completely out of space on mine :D
That is really nice to have a store so close by, especially if they have a few IEMs to demo as well. Good IEMs are quite rare here, even headphones often seem limited and most stores focus mainly on living room equipment (speakers, streamers, etc). The few really good stores are all quite far, but I am currently exploring an interesting alternative, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that will work out.

Haha! I just ordered a new desk yesterday. Not a desk as such, just a generous size dinner table, which will go up in the attic where I have been setting up my "man cave" gym and office space. The desk is big enough that there will be more than enough space for work, gaming and a desktop setup. Hoping I can get that going in the coming weeks and have a decent setup by the end of the year.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #275 of 3,674
That is really nice to have a store so close by, especially if they have a few IEMs to demo as well. Good IEMs are quite rare here, even headphones often seem limited and most stores focus mainly on living room equipment (speakers, streamers, etc). The few really good stores are all quite far, but I am currently exploring an interesting alternative, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that will work out.

Haha! I just ordered a new desk yesterday. Not a desk as such, just a generous size dinner table, which will go up in the attic where I have been setting up my "man cave" gym and office space. The desk is big enough that there will be more than enough space for work, gaming and a desktop setup. Hoping I can get that going in the coming weeks and have a decent setup by the end of the year.
How is your desktop setup coming along? I remember us briefly discussing some full sized headphones a while back, did you settle on anything?

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #276 of 3,674
How is your desktop setup coming along? I remember us briefly discussing some full sized headphones a while back, did you settle on anything?
Definitely still working on it. Everything got postponed until we had a good idea of the cost of the puppy. The new desk was really the first step to at least have the space ready. I also have the Dethonray ha-2 amp to get me started, but still need to decide on the headphones. The Elegia probably still top my wish list, although there are plenty of others that really interest me like the ZMF Eikon all the way up to the Abyss Diana V2 (which I can't afford anyway). The Elegia seems like the most realistic option for now. I also have some plans for moving into desktop gear reviews. That still needs to be worked out (gear will be on loan), but will also influence what gear I want to invest in. So quite fun developments that might lead me into a broader range of reviews and possibly writing articles beyond that.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #277 of 3,674
Definitely still working on it. Everything got postponed until we had a good idea of the cost of the puppy. The new desk was really the first step to at least have the space ready. I also have the Dethonray ha-2 amp to get me started, but still need to decide on the headphones. The Elegia probably still top my wish list, although there are plenty of others that really interest me like the ZMF Eikon all the way up to the Abyss Diana V2 (which I can't afford anyway). The Elegia seems like the most realistic option for now. I also have some plans for moving into desktop gear reviews. That still needs to be worked out (gear will be on loan), but will also influence what gear I want to invest in. So quite fun developments that might lead me into a broader range of reviews and possibly writing articles beyond that.
I’d really, really recommend the Elear of the Elegia unless you’ve tried both already - the Elegia has a very cold and hollow sound to it, I only kinda liked it paired with the Chord Mojo

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #278 of 3,674
I’d really, really recommend the Elear of the Elegia unless you’ve tried both already - the Elegia has a very cold and hollow sound to it, I only kinda liked it paired with the Chord Mojo
I haven't heard either yet, which is also part of the reason I kept postponing. I am looking for fairly neutral/natural headphones that will work well with classical music because that is what I listen to most. But really I just need to demo a few so I can best decide which fits my preferences. Hence the annoyance at not having stores closer by. Ideally I would like to work out the entire setup of headphones, DAC and amp so that it all complements each other. That seems to be the biggest challenge with desktop gear.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #279 of 3,674
I haven't heard either yet, which is also part of the reason I kept postponing. I am looking for fairly neutral/natural headphones that will work well with classical music because that is what I listen to most. But really I just need to demo a few so I can best decide which fits my preferences. Hence the annoyance at not having stores closer by. Ideally I would like to work out the entire setup of headphones, DAC and amp so that it all complements each other. That seems to be the biggest challenge with desktop gear.
If you like I can ship you a bunch of gear at some point - something like the RME ADI2 DAC, the Rosson, elegia and Elear all at once so you spend several weeks/months with them and are able to decide for yourself :)

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #280 of 3,674
If you like I can ship you a bunch of gear at some point - something like the RME ADI2 DAC, the Rosson, elegia and Elear all at once so you spend several weeks/months with them and are able to decide for yourself :)
Thanks man, that is a very generous offer! I am not sure how comfortable I would be borrowing so much of your gear, but I would definitely be interested to at least hear the Elegia if you can spare it for a little while.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #281 of 3,674
Thanks man, that is a very generous offer! I am not sure how comfortable I would be borrowing so much of your gear, but I would definitely be interested to at least hear the Elegia if you can spare it for a little while.
I’ll send you the Elegia and Elear dude it’s the least I can do

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #284 of 3,674
I’m kind of spoiled here I guess, 2 shops within 15-20min from where I live and a 3rd at 40min, not to mention cheap Sony products lol.
Lucky man! The irony is that even while I was living in London, there were few stores I could get to easily. Even my audiologist took me an hour to get to. Audio Sanctuary was an hour and a half with three busses, so I never went there and I also missed visiting Spiritland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back