RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 1, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #241 of 3,674
Been intrigued by S1 for sometime now, wonder how does it compare to the TOTL DAPs. Just got a Note20 Ultra, so would love to pair it with it and take advantage of the phone's UI. I love my DX220 but boy that UI sucks.
The PAW S1 Imo gets pretty close to the LPGT, and the difference in price is insane. The LPGT goes a bit further on multiple levels, but to me it is significantly behind the Hugo 2, so for now I'm mostly keeping it as a review reference DAP

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #242 of 3,674
The PAW S1 Imo gets pretty close to the LPGT, and the difference in price is insane. The LPGT goes a bit further on multiple levels, but to me it is significantly behind the Hugo 2, so for now I'm mostly keeping it as a review reference DAP
Ah nice, so no point in upgrading to R8 or DX220 Max? Although i doubt S1 can drive headphones!

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #243 of 3,674
Ah nice, so no point in upgrading to R8 or DX220 Max? Although i doubt S1 can drive headphones!
Headphones are generally speaking completely beyond me. I own a few pairs (Elegia, Elear, Rosson RAD-0), but never use any of them. I've heard good stuff about the DX220 MAX (@aaf evo is a big fan), but the size and multiple batteries and whatnot are a dealbreaker for me personally. The R8 I'm quite interested in, but I don't know if I'll get the chance to demo it soon

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #244 of 3,674
Headphones are generally speaking completely beyond me. I own a few pairs (Elegia, Elear, Rosson RAD-0), but never use any of them. I've heard good stuff about the DX220 MAX (@aaf evo is a big fan), but the size and multiple batteries and whatnot are a dealbreaker for me personally. The R8 I'm quite interested in, but I don't know if I'll get the chance to demo it soon
Yeah that is a proper desktop amp, although the SQ is quite exceptional as per most reviews. But R8 is making me itch to get that, I would want a DAP that brings enjoyment as a whole, including the UI.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #245 of 3,674
Yeah that is a proper desktop amp, although the SQ is quite exceptional as per most reviews. But R8 is making me itch to get that, I would want a DAP that brings enjoyment as a whole, including the UI.
iBasso’s UI and general lagginess was always a big dealbreaker for me honestly

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #246 of 3,674

I should be getring my R8 that I can compare with the S1 prob end of this week or next week.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #248 of 3,674
That’s a shootout I can get on board with. Only owned the S1 for a few days but I’m far, far more likely to use it than I used my Mojo, purely because of the convenience of this one. The sound is stellar. No caveat of “from such a small device” - this is good sound period, IMO
I’m curious about the paw S1. Does this attach to say an iPhone or laptop and act as a DAC/amp? I could see myself using it with a MacBook possibly. Not sure about connections to IEMs & cables re 2.5mm & 4.4mm but I expect there is a way of using them.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #249 of 3,674
I’m curious about the paw S1. Does this attach to say an iPhone or laptop and act as a DAC/amp? I could see myself using it with a MacBook possibly. Not sure about connections to IEMs & cables re 2.5mm & 4.4mm but I expect there is a way of using them.
I use mine primarily with my Mac actually, whenever I don’t feel like hooking up the Hugo2. It has 4.4 and 3.5 as well, and to top it off you can also use it with an android or an iPhone as it comes with both cables. You can use 2.5 if you just use an adapter

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #250 of 3,674
I use mine primarily with my Mac actually, whenever I don’t feel like hooking up the Hugo2. It has 4.4 and 3.5 as well, and to top it off you can also use it with an android or an iPhone as it comes with both cables. You can use 2.5 if you just use an adapter

I dont think the base package comes with the lightning adapter, I had to pay extra for mine.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #251 of 3,674
Intriguing. What sort of sound quality do you get? I seem to recall that the S1 is relatively cheap at around $170 so I’m not sure what you would hope to get from that (relative to the high costs of Daps, IEMs etc. How does it compare against the LPGT? Haha I’m not expecting like for like at the price difference but I’m interested to know where it stands.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #252 of 3,674
I dont think the base package comes with the lightning adapter, I had to pay extra for mine.
Is that a specific Lotoo adapter or a generic other brand one?

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #253 of 3,674
Ummm I think I got mine with it and so did pretty much everyone I know. It’s weird you paid extra

Intriguing. What sort of sound quality do you get? I seem to recall that the S1 is relatively cheap at around $170 so I’m not sure what you would hope to get from that (relative to the high costs of Daps, IEMs etc. How does it compare against the LPGT? Haha I’m not expecting like for like at the price difference but I’m interested to know where it stands.
To me the S1 comes really close to the LPGT honestly. I’ve discussed this a fair bit in my previous posts as well, but the PAW S1 kinda makes TOTL DAPs a bit pointless - I’d much rather get like an AK SR25, a PAW S1 and a Hugo 2 instead of a single LPGT, which gets almost matched by the S1 and heavily outdone by the Hugo (IMHO)

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #254 of 3,674
Ummm I think I got mine with it and so did pretty much everyone I know. It’s weird you paid extra

To me the S1 comes really close to the LPGT honestly. I’ve discussed this a fair bit in my previous posts as well, but the PAW S1 kinda makes TOTL DAPs a bit pointless - I’d much rather get like an AK SR25, a PAW S1 and a Hugo 2 instead of a single LPGT, which gets almost matched by the S1 and heavily outdone by the Hugo (IMHO)
Pretty sure the lightning adapter was only included as a pre-order bonus with the s1. I didn't have one included with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back