Rank the IEM's you've heard
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #5,011 of 5,133
I had and sold the FX15. I liked the bass and treble sparkle but didn't like the lack of coherence.
Ok understood.

If it's the case, it doesn't fits me. 🫨

Homogeneity, coherency and balance are not negotiable for me. It's a no go if not.

I need a try, but ok, thanks pal 👍 and have a good time 🍾🤘

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #5,012 of 5,133
Homogeneity, coherency and balance are not negotiable for me. It's a no go if not.
FWIW I compared the FX15 to the Bravado Mkii, which also implements EST and DD, and found the coherence on the Bravado much better.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #5,013 of 5,133
I own M9 and had Z1R.

The Z1R had way better bass and slightly better treble but they will literally destroy your ears because of how large and heavy they are.

The M9 are tiny and comfortable in comparison, so that makes them infinitely more usable to me.
Thanks for this. I actually have the M7 and with a small bass boost they are pretty amazing. Very studio monitor like. Keep wanting to try the z1r but the fit looks atrocious and i want to be able to use them everywhere including the gym.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #5,014 of 5,133
Thanks for this. I actually have the M7 and with a small bass boost they are pretty amazing. Very studio monitor like. Keep wanting to try the z1r but the fit looks atrocious and i want to be able to use them everywhere including the gym.
I have the Z1R, sound amazing, my number 1 IEM, but forget about taking them outside. The fit is actually not that bad, but they're heavy and won't stay in your ears if you keep moving. I also have the IE900 which have a similar sound signature and are way better suited for use outside due to how light and comfortable they are.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #5,015 of 5,133
I have the Z1R, sound amazing, my number 1 IEM, but forget about taking them outside. The fit is actually not that bad, but they're heavy and won't stay in your ears if you keep moving. I also have the IE900 which have a similar sound signature and are way better suited for use outside due to how light and comfortable they are.
Agree on the sound. The fit does vary from person to person but I’d like to think I have average ears since nearly every other IEM has fit me fine.

That being said, I think the achilles heel of the Z1R is its weight and fitment. It has all the downsides of an IEM (ear intrusion, tangled wires, etc.) but none of the true benefits (walkability, portability, etc.).

It’s an IEM you use in your listening chair, lol.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #5,016 of 5,133
FWIW I compared the FX15 to the Bravado Mkii, which also implements EST and DD, and found the coherence on the Bravado much better.
People sleep on the Bravado Mk2 because its stock tuning is so bass heavy.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #5,017 of 5,133

I've been able to use the Z1R while out on walks with the dogs and stuff, but it took a TON of tip rolling to get to that point(and I still tip roll it occasionally). It's probably not a good fit for the gym unless your ears are the Z1R's soul mate or something. Also if you want to be more active with the Z1R, you might benefit from changing cables. I like Z1R's stock cable but maybe you can find something that better supports its weight for you. It's a gamble.

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #5,019 of 5,133
I have a very large list. But I'll put down the ones that stuck out to me most. I like an overall smooth highly balanced signature that keeps a nice low end, energetic yet smooth treble. Heaps of detail and a spacious soundstage. A slight U shape. But big bass is a welcome as long it keeps its technicalities. I rate these as best overall all rounder.

1. Letshuoer Cadenza 12
2. Thieaudio Prestige LTD
3. Fir Audio Xenon 6
4. Kinera Imperial Loki
5. Sweear SR11
6. 64 Audio Volur
7. Thieaudio Monarch Mkiii
8. Unique Melody Mest MKiii
9. Campfire Audio Trifecta
10. Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #5,020 of 5,133
I do want the list to change and get longer

Just a list that IEM I won't mind owning on their own
Sony IER-M9 - Favourite tuning
Moondrop Variations - Close second, just want more details
Thieaudio Mornach Mk2 - Good tuning and more detailed than Variations
Thieaudio Mornach Mk3 - More meaty bass
64Audio U12t - Good all rounder
Sony IER-Z1R - Good bass but do want more mid and less highs

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #5,021 of 5,133
I generally like the Monarch II a ton. Only issues are wanting more "airiness" around instruments, sweeter female vocals, and deeper bass. I don't like "etchiness", or midbass bloat. I found the Anole VX UIEM had etchiness, and I find midbass bloat on my Legend X CIEM.

With a $3000 budget (new, or used) which CIEMs or UIEMs should I be thinking about?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #5,022 of 5,133
I do want the list to change and get longer

Just a list that IEM I won't mind owning on their own
Sony IER-M9 - Favourite tuning
Moondrop Variations - Close second, just want more details
Thieaudio Mornach Mk2 - Good tuning and more detailed than Variations
Thieaudio Mornach Mk3 - More meaty bass
64Audio U12t - Good all rounder
Sony IER-Z1R - Good bass but do want more mid and less highs
From what I've gathered you should try the EE Bravado Mk2 / Legend X / Odin.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #5,024 of 5,133
I generally like the Monarch II a ton. Only issues are wanting more "airiness" around instruments, sweeter female vocals, and deeper bass. I don't like "etchiness", or midbass bloat. I found the Anole VX UIEM had etchiness, and I find midbass bloat on my Legend X CIEM.

With a $3000 budget (new, or used) which CIEMs or UIEMs should I be thinking about?
I think Jewel and Fei Wan might be good IEMs for female vocals and provides great treble airness. The bass might not be as good but it sounds dynamic to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back