Rank the IEM's you've heard
Nov 27, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #4,291 of 5,136
I listened to the Monarch 2 several times and it sound thin, plastic and far from realistic

The Blessing 2 is one of the worst IEM that exist on this planet in terms of authentic recreation.

Every musician who uses the Blessing 2 and think's it sounds authentic should instantly stop his job, this In-Ear has so many issues with Layering, Soundstage, Instrument's like Trumscheid that completely disappear from the Mix and so an. Drumkits where the Hi-Hat is right behind your ear while the Tom is meters away, on live recordings the clapping and screaming if the audience is in different layers.

It's a mess, from the beginning to the end and has an insanely recessed bass and painful spikes in the upper mids
"I listened to the Monarch 2 several times and it sound thin, plastic and far from realistic", "The Blessing 2 is one of the worst IEM that exist on this planet in terms of authentic recreation."
Thanks for the entertainment:)

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #4,292 of 5,136
To know, of something exaggerates the bass or treble, you have to know how it is supposed to sound.

If the song is supposed to have exaggerated bass, and it sounds balanced with your IEM, your IEM does have recessed bass

I assume pretty much most musicians disagree with your statement and the most professional IEM are not tuned to Harman, for a reason.
Yes.

But just to suppose that certain sound engineers are completely crazy, certain gears (mostly iems) just not sound accurate.

Simple but very difficult test : right hand, left hand balance, grand piano... 😉

And it is easy to spot a permanent coloration...

If the low medium balance is off, you should hear it every time. For example.

Nov 27, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #4,293 of 5,136
1. 64 Audio Fourte
2. 64 Audio A12t
3. Campfire Audio Supermoon
4. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020
5. UM Mest MKII
6. Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020
7. 64 Audio Duo
8. Thieaudio Monarch OG
9. FiiO FH7
10. FiiO FH5

I listed the ones I've actually bought myself, though all have been sold off besides 1-3.

I got to hear the Odin at CanJam this year. If I counted that, it would come in at number 5.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #4,295 of 5,136
I listened to the Monarch 2 several times and it sound thin, plastic and far from realistic

The Blessing 2 is one of the worst IEM that exist on this planet in terms of authentic recreation.

Every musician who uses the Blessing 2 and think's it sounds authentic should instantly stop his job, this In-Ear has so many issues with Layering, Soundstage, Instrument's like Trumscheid that completely disappear from the Mix and so an. Drumkits where the Hi-Hat is right behind your ear while the Tom is meters away, on live recordings the clapping and screaming if the audience is in different layers.

It's a mess, from the beginning to the end and has an insanely recessed bass and painful spikes in the upper mids
So you didn't like it?

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #4,296 of 5,136
1. 64 Audio Fourte
2. 64 Audio A12t
3. Campfire Audio Supermoon
4. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020
5. UM Mest MKII
6. Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020
7. 64 Audio Duo
8. Thieaudio Monarch OG
9. FiiO FH7
10. FiiO FH5

I listed the ones I've actually bought myself, though all have been sold off besides 1-3.

I got to hear the Odin at CanJam this year. If I counted that, it would come in at number 5.
Really interesting ranking. I have the 64 Audio Trio and I'm looking for an IEM to complement. The Trio is great, but the Mids are sometimes a little bit too recessed, especially for the Singer Songwriter songs. I think the Fourte should be really similar to the Trio regards to Tuning. I'm looking for better Vocal Presentation, Mids or a more Midforward IEM's. I think about to buy the U12T or Supermoon. I tried the U12T and it was a bit boring, but has great mids and is very balanced and very good in technical aspects. How do you feel about the supermoon? Does this complement the Fourte or does it have a similar tuning. I think the Supermoon is very V-Shaped?

I think the Effect Audio Gaea could be great, but could be to bright for me. For my tatste the Hifiman Arya is too bright as allrounder.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #4,297 of 5,136
Really interesting ranking. I have the 64 Audio Trio and I'm looking for an IEM to complement. The Trio is great, but the Mids are sometimes a little bit too recessed, especially for the Singer Songwriter songs. I think the Fourte should be really similar to the Trio regards to Tuning. I'm looking for better Vocal Presentation, Mids or a more Midforward IEM's. I think about to buy the U12T or Supermoon. I tried the U12T and it was a bit boring, but has great mids and is very balanced and very good in technical aspects. How do you feel about the supermoon? Does this complement the Fourte or does it have a similar tuning. I think the Supermoon is very V-Shaped?

I think the Effect Audio Gaea could be great, but could be to bright for me. For my tatste the Hifiman Arya is too bright as allrounder.
Does Hifiman Arya sounds better than most of the flagship IEMs you’ve heard? Some say that headphone sounds better than any IEMs in the same price range. I have the Focal Clear OG and I don’t have the opportunity to participate in any IEM exhibitions, so I am not quite sure whether paying multi-kilo is worth the money.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #4,298 of 5,136
Nov 28, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #4,300 of 5,136
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #4,301 of 5,136
Does Hifiman Arya sounds better than most of the flagship IEMs you’ve heard? Some say that headphone sounds better than any IEMs in the same price range. I have the Focal Clear OG and I don’t have the opportunity to participate in any IEM exhibitions, so I am not quite sure whether paying mufew percentagelti-kilo is worth the money.
That's a good question and I asked me this a lot. I'm new in the audiophile world and I started with buying the Focal Stellia as a closed headphone. I think the most interesting thing beside enjoying my music in really good quality is an "excitement" (wow) factor. The Stellia has this factor, because of its technical capabilities and his bass quality (most deep and hard rumble/punch of all closed headphones I've tested). Than I bought the Focal Clear OG, too. This headphones plays everything really really nice. It's really a headphone for enjoying your music, but has not that much of an excitement factor beside that it plays music so well. Than i bought the Hifiman XS as allrounder (the Clear is an allrounder too), but the comfort is much better for me and sounds more open. So it's a little bit my "always on" headphone. The Arya was the first headphone which had in comparision to my headphones a stellar technical factor to all of my headphones: The soundstage and immersion was fantastic. The difference to the XS is not that much, but this extra few percentage is the extra that makes you really excited about the music listening. I had a hard time returning the headphones but the comfort wasn't the best for my large head and overall it was too bright for me. The XS has not the technical capabilities, but is exactly my preferred tuning.

So to your questions with the IEMs: I thought the IEM's can't give me much excitement, but good sound quality. I tried as first kilo buck IEM the 64Audio U12T and this IEM is really good, but for my taste only technical good. The Focal Clear OG is much more enjoyable for me, because of the DD Bass and has much more flavor. I could understand why it is an expensive headphone. After the U12T I tried the 64 Audio Trio and this IEM is really different. It does really things that makes me excited about Music listening and I was fascinated that this came out of the little IEM. It's for sure not comparable with the Arya in soundstage or immersion. But the Trio is it absolutely worth. I think the price/performance ratio is the best with open-back headphones like the Focal Clear OG. I think with open-back headphones you have the most immersive music listening, but I think that IEM's are at least interesting as closed backs and the form factor is so nice. It's really nice that you are mobile with headphones like the Trio and have that good sound.

I tried the the Sennheiser IE600, Shoer S12. Both are really good for there price range, but for me they do nothing spectacular. So no reason for buying them. I think the U12T is not worth over the Clear (U12T is probably more technical, but Clear has the better Bass), but the Trio is worth over the Clear. I think about to buy the U12T for the Mids, because the disadvantage of the Trio is that the vocals and mids are a bit recessed.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #4,302 of 5,136
That's a good question and I asked me this a lot. I'm new in the audiophile world and I started with buying the Focal Stellia as a closed headphone. I think the most interesting thing beside enjoying my music in really good quality is an "excitement" (wow) factor. The Stellia has this factor, because of its technical capabilities and his bass quality (most deep and hard rumble/punch of all closed headphones I've tested). Than I bought the Focal Clear OG, too. This headphones plays everything really really nice. It's really a headphone for enjoying your music, but has not that much of an excitement factor beside that it plays music so well. Than i bought the Hifiman XS as allrounder (the Clear is an allrounder too), but the comfort is much better for me and sounds more open. So it's a little bit my "always on" headphone. The Arya was the first headphone which had in comparision to my headphones a stellar technical factor to all of my headphones: The soundstage and immersion was fantastic. The difference to the XS is not that much, but this extra few percentage is the extra that makes you really excited about the music listening. I had a hard time returning the headphones but the comfort wasn't the best for my large head and overall it was too bright for me. The XS has not the technical capabilities, but is exactly my preferred tuning.

So to your questions with the IEMs: I thought the IEM's can't give me much excitement, but good sound quality. I tried as first kilo buck IEM the 64Audio U12T and this IEM is really good, but for my taste only technical good. The Focal Clear OG is much more enjoyable for me, because of the DD Bass and has much more flavor. I could understand why it is an expensive headphone. After the U12T I tried the 64 Audio Trio and this IEM is really different. It does really things that makes me excited about Music listening and I was fascinated that this came out of the little IEM. It's for sure not comparable with the Arya in soundstage or immersion. But the Trio is it absolutely worth. I think the price/performance ratio is the best with open-back headphones like the Focal Clear OG. I think with open-back headphones you have the most immersive music listening, but I think that IEM's are at least interesting as closed backs and the form factor is so nice. It's really nice that you are mobile with headphones like the Trio and have that good sound.

I tried the the Sennheiser IE600, Shoer S12. Both are really good for there price range, but for me they do nothing spectacular. So no reason for buying them. I think the U12T is not worth over the Clear (U12T is probably more technical, but Clear has the better Bass), but the Trio is worth over the Clear. I think about to buy the U12T for the Mids, because the disadvantage of the Trio is that the vocals and mids are a bit recessed.
Thank you for the nice and detailed explanation! I hope I will have a chance to try the Trio one day.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #4,303 of 5,136
I am not really an IEM person but they are useful in some rare occasions where anything open can not be used. Besides headphones, more of my time is dedicated to wireless earbuds vs IEMs, so my list is humble. I have to admit that I haven't listened to any IEMs in a while, so my list is also fuzzy.

1. ER2SE - Sound-staging is not its strength but the imaging and separation makes up for it. Detail is acceptable to the point where I don't notice many flaws. Midrange sounds slightly cold but the overall tone is good and natural.
2. SSR - I don't remember much but the detail is good enough like the ER2SE. Tone is colder and the stage depth isn't too great.
3. Aria - Sounds Harman-y which ain't really my harmony.
4. MH750 - Good tone. That's basically it.
5. CRA - Good enough detail with V-shaped tuning that makes the midrange distant and un-natural. Small staging: especially the depth. I actually hate listening to these if I have to.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #4,304 of 5,136
My feelings about headphones vs iems are quite opposite. Before i went into better iems i was headphones fan. But after getting my first "higher end" iem a couple years back- the Beyerdynamic Xelento, everything changed. These iems gave me a very wide and spacious soundstage but more focused imaging and detail than the headphones. Since then i really need to force myself to like the full sized. The only headphones that gave me a great amount of fun and detail were the Focals Radiance which ive had for quite a long time. They still werent as natural sounding as my Sundaras but the dynamics, the bass and the warmth were really enjoyable. Ive tried many full sized, inlcuding Aryas (great!), flagship Fostex (ok), Denons (nice), Audeze LCD-4, 5 (meh for the price), Stax (intense detail monsters but okish otherwise), have had the horrible Beyers T5 3rd, tried my friends Night Owls- a tuning nightmare!
In the end i was always coming back to the iems. Im not saying that the iems are better, they just work for me better. For someone else can be the opposite.
I sold the Radiance after purchasing the Monarch 2 and i feel like the music is on an entirely another level quality wise.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,305 of 5,136
My feelings about headphones vs iems are quite opposite. Before i went into better iems i was headphones fan. But after getting my first "higher end" iem a couple years back- the Beyerdynamic Xelento, everything changed. These iems gave me a very wide and spacious soundstage but more focused imaging and detail than the headphones. Since then i really need to force myself to like the full sized. The only headphones that gave me a great amount of fun and detail were the Focals Radiance which ive had for quite a long time. They still werent as natural sounding as my Sundaras but the dynamics, the bass and the warmth were really enjoyable. Ive tried many full sized, inlcuding Aryas (great!), flagship Fostex (ok), Denons (nice), Audeze LCD-4, 5 (meh for the price), Stax (intense detail monsters but okish otherwise), have had the horrible Beyers T5 3rd, tried my friends Night Owls- a tuning nightmare!
In the end i was always coming back to the iems. Im not saying that the iems are better, they just work for me better. For someone else can be the opposite.
I sold the Radiance after purchasing the Monarch 2 and i feel like the music is on an entirely another level quality wise.
Maybe I will be like that in a few years, haha. Highly doubt it, though. I know that Redcarmoose was also a headphone fan at first who then favored IEMs later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back