Rank the IEM's you've heard
Oct 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #841 of 5,197
Wow, you rank the SE846 higher than the Roxanne (universal or custom)? I owned the 846 for a good while. Liked it reasonably well for the time. Recently heard the Roxanne universal at Sound and Vision... and while it admittedly wasn't the longest demo time or most ideal conditions, I didn't hear anything to write home about really. It seemed a bit dead in the treble area. By comparison, I much, much prefer the highs of my ASG-2.5 (which is tops of my heap right now, even more so than the LAB 1). 

Well the ranking is also based on my preference, I tend to like a more brighter sound signature than overly dark and bassy types :)
But admittedly I found Roxanne to be technically better than most.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #843 of 5,197
FitEar MH334(demo unit) and UERM(demo unit) > JH13fp(demo unit) > Westone UM Pro 30 > Westone W30 > JH16fp(demo unit) and ATH IM70 > SE215Ltd

Both the MH334 and UERM were good in their own right.
The JH13fp could do with a little more control in the trebles(a little bright, but I could deal with it) and the JH16 could do with better bass control(too much bass).
The IM70 is just acting as if it is having PMS, on some songs the bass is overpowering(more than the JH16fp) but on other songs it's alright.

The SE215ltd's bass is muddy and mids are veiled, so last spot for that.

Your impression of the JH16fp doesn't surprise me considering your choice of UERM for the top spot - but I wonder if listening to the demo 16 didn't let you hear that CIEM at its best. In custom form, certainly the bass is BIG - but the other frequencies are still well represented (IMO), even considered analytical vs smoother bass-oriented CIEMs. There is still a sharpness (not sibilant) to the highs and mids - It is still one of my favorite headphones - not sure if a perfect seal would have changed your opinion - but then, I'm a bass-head I guess 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #844 of 5,197

Wow, you rank the SE846 higher than the Roxanne (universal or custom)? I owned the 846 for a good while. Liked it reasonably well for the time. Recently heard the Roxanne universal at Sound and Vision... and while it admittedly wasn't the longest demo time or most ideal conditions, I didn't hear anything to write home about really. It seemed a bit dead in the treble area. By comparison, I much, much prefer the highs of my ASG-2.5 (which is tops of my heap right now, even more so than the LAB 1). 

1964 Ears V6 Stage >= Noble K10

this is the weird part , dude

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #845 of 5,197

Your impression of the JH16fp doesn't surprise me considering your choice of UERM for the top spot - but I wonder if listening to the demo 16 didn't let you hear that CIEM at its best. In custom form, certainly the bass is BIG - but the other frequencies are still well represented (IMO), even considered analytical vs smoother bass-oriented CIEMs. There is still a sharpness (not sibilant) to the highs and mids - It is still one of my favorite headphones - not sure if a perfect seal would have changed your opinion - but then, I'm a bass-head I guess 
rolleyes.gif

I'll definitely give those CIEM demos another listen, the big bass of the JH16fp distracted me from the other elements of the music. 
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #846 of 5,197
1964 Ears V6 Stage >= Noble K10

this is the weird part , dude

Why, Because they cost 2x more? But like I mentioned earlier the ranking is also based on my preference in the sound signature. The K10 has quite a funny sound signature that might require some time to get used to.

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #849 of 5,197
(Preference)
JH Roxanne CM
Noble K10 Demo
Asg 2.5 = AKR03 (too big for me)
W60
AS Rockets
SE846 = S-EM6
IE800
W30
UE900
UM Pro 50
Klipsch X11i
Klipsch S4
Xiaomi Pistons 2 = SE215

A lot of stuff I can't remember, mainly the rest of earsonics and westone lines

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #850 of 5,197
(Preference)
JH Roxanne
Noble K10 Demo
Asg 2.5 = AKR03 (too big for me)
W60
AS Rockets
SE846 = S-EM6
IE800
W30
UE900
UM Pro 50
Klipsch X11i
Klipsch S4
Xiaomi Pistons 2 = SE215

A lot of stuff I can't remember, mainly the rest of earsonics and westone lines

Rockets above SE846? Nice... can't wait to get mine..

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #851 of 5,197
Well as I put, it's only a preference. I think they're both both great in terms of technical aspects. But I just prefer more laid back and warmer/darker sound sigs. The 846 and ie800 were too sharp for my tastes. Not to mention KS prices for rockets made them a steal, too bad I couldn't get the 99$ ones

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #852 of 5,197
Well as I put, it's only a preference. I think they're both both great in terms of technical aspects. But I just prefer more laid back and warmer/darker sound sigs. The 846 and ie800 were too sharp for my tastes. Not to mentioning KS prices for rockets made them a steal, too bad I couldn't get the 99$ ones

But the Rockets is supposed to be neutral and bright compared to ie800 which is more laid back and dark?
At least you got the $129 deal? I was in the $129 but i pulled out and only joined towards the end when they announced the Warranty and Mic version... :frowning2:

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #853 of 5,197
To my ears, at least the pair I tried, the ie800 were still too sharp for my tastes. Probably because I've been listening to m100 quite often and had brain burn in. But my impressions where from 2/3 months ago so I may have been mistaken, plus I heard the asg2.5s and right away got hooked and never looked back

I wouldn't call the rockets bright. Bass is a tad lighter than what I would call neutral. The rest is neutral. They're really good even for retail price, I tend to use them now for athletic endeavours since the cables are super sturdy. My only complaint about them is the cable thump is very loud at times

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #854 of 5,197
I totally agree about the ASG-2.5. Amazingly good.....

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #855 of 5,197
While looking through the whole thread, I didn't find a new pair for my own.

I would appreciate some input/help/knowhow/whatever at my current topic:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/745016/yet-another-ue-sf5eb-replacement-thread-or-not-stagediver-jvc-real-sound-westone-adv

Any recommedations for bass-heavy In-Ears are welcome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back