Rank the IEM's you've heard
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #5,116 of 5,135
It is all subjective. Different perceptions can at times still confound me, but we all have physically different ears as well as preferences.

For me, while I would not use the word anemic for the 2023, I reserve that word for the original Annihilator, the bass is still insufficient, especially in comparison to other top IEMs.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #5,117 of 5,135
Brother, I’m sitting on my couch, enjoying a bourbon while simultaneously petting my two pups. Im cool as a cucumber. You’re stating your opinion as fact. I’m telling you no. End of story.
I'm not saying you aren't chilling. But it's clearly not landing well with you that anyone could say the Anni is weak on bass. No matter how chill you are.

Have another bourbon and then let me know, just answer a couple of simple audio-related questions.

Do you think any IEM's are weak on bass? Is that even possible to say or is that JUST an opinion. Can you say the Anni have exceptional detail in the treble with a strong treble presence at the same time? Is that possible to say or JUST an opinion?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #5,118 of 5,135
Also graphs are good to a point, but they are not definitive about bass that is for sure, based on quantity.
Hard disagree on graphs not showing anything definitive about bass quantity.

I’d say that’s true for bass quality but bass quantity is very clearly measured and shown—just look at that enormous sub/mid-bass hump.

Maybe we differ on the usage of the word “anemic” here, but if it was used in a way to mean a lack of quantity, that’s just objectively not true.

If it was meant to communicate that Anni’s bass lacks impact, that’s a different story.
IMG_9813.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #5,119 of 5,135
These graphs can be notoriously inaccurate. This is due to the equipment used to make the graph as well as the insertion depth ( depending on what measurement device was being used, etc. ). This graph would show the bass as being very powerful, yet even the Annihilator’s proponents will not describe it in that fashion.

But I do agree, it is not anemic.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #5,120 of 5,135
These graphs can be notoriously inaccurate. This is due to the equipment used to make the graph as well as the insertion depth ( depending on what measurement device was being used, etc. ). This graph would show the bass as being very powerful, yet even the Annihilator’s proponents will not describe it in that fashion.

But I do agree, it is not anemic.
Any Annihilator 2023 graph on any measurement device will show a very elevated sub/mid-bass.

This graph, again, doesn’t show that Anni’s bass is powerful, just that it has an elevated bass quantity.

Bass can be both elevated and can lack impact/slam (i.e. not feel “powerful”).

Anyway, this thread has veered off course. Feel free to DM me if you want to continue this conversation.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #5,121 of 5,135
Would it benefit from a cable swap or do you think stock was quite good?
I find cables do make a difference, but it's not drastic. You should be fine with the stock cable 😊. Only upgrade for comfort and aesthetics. Stock cable does feel kinda oldschool, so see how you go, maybe upgrade for something more nicer but I wouldn't bother spending hundreds, you can find very nice cables under $100

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #5,125 of 5,135
Based on sound quality for my tastes:
  1. Sound Rhyme DTE900
  2. Penon Quattro
  3. Tansio Mirai X (10th Anniversary)
  4. ZiiGaat Doscinco
  5. Yanyin Canon OG? (hard to say, lost it when I didn't have many IEMs to compare to, I liked it a lot though)
  6. Penon Fan II
  7. Artti R1
  8. Yanyin Canon II
  9. Simgot EA500 LM
  10. Letshuoer S12 Pro (since I put Penon blue silicon/foam tips on it, otherwise would be lower)
  11. Aful Performer 5
  12. KZ Castor Bass
  13. Moondrop Starfield
  14. Moondrop Chu II
  15. What I wouldn't recommend: Moondrop Aria: Snow Edition, KZ Castor Harman, Truthear Hola, KZ ZSV, QKZ AKG Pro and Max, Penon IEM v1 and v2 (comfortable for sleeping for podcasts though, v1 is better IMO)

Based on value for money in the market:
  1. Artti R1
  2. KZ Castor Bass
  3. Penon Fan II (assuming 50% discount which is always available)
  4. Simgot EA500 LM
  5. ZiiGaat Doscinco
  6. Penon Quattro
  7. Sound Rhyme DTE900
  8. Tansio Mirai X (10th Anniversary)
  9. Moondrop Chu II
  10. Penon IEM v1 (assuming free, always nice to have a pair of simple earbuds!)
  11. All of the above I'd say are good VFM today in their own ways, the rest I don't think are

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #5,126 of 5,135
kind of new in the hobby. I've heard quite a few iems for being the first few months.

On sound quality. (my opinion):
1. Kinera Nanna X Z // owned
2. Thieaudio Clairvoyance
3. Moondrop Variations // owned
4. Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
5. SeeAudio Bravery
6. UM MEXT
7. Kinera Skuld
8. Kinera Freya // owned
9. Letshouer EJ07
10. YanYin Moonlight // owned
11. Tangzu Wan'er // owned
12. HBB Z300
13. Shanling ME800 =Completely forgot how it sounds and wasn't in notes=

Overall ranking (my opinion) (Price, packaging, sound quality, build quality, etc): // owned only
1. Moondrop Variations = *perfect*
2. Kinera Freya = genre specific, but when it's right, it truly shines, also not to expensive
3. Kinera Nanna x Z = not 400 dollars better than Variations, (definitely better than variations but price is quite a lot more)
4. Tangzu wan'er = just good and cheap
5. Yanyin Moonlight = honestly, pretty good, I would pay 100 dollars for it and not more.

most used = Variations / nanna x z / freya

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #5,127 of 5,135
kind of new in the hobby. I've heard quite a few iems for being the first few months.

5. SeeAudio Bravery
6. UM MEXT
7. Kinera Skuld
8. Kinera Freya // owned
9. Letshouer EJ07
12. HBB Z300

Overall ranking (my opinion) (Price, packaging, sound quality, build quality, etc): // owned only
2. Kinera Freya = genre specific, but when it's right, it truly shines, also not to expensive
3. Kinera Nanna x Z = not 400 dollars better than Variations, (definitely better than variations but price is quite a lot more)
5. Yanyin Moonlight = honestly, pretty good, I would pay 100 dollars for it and not more.

I feel like I should give you an award. I haven’t heard any of the IEMs from on your list. :xf_cool:

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #5,128 of 5,135
I feel like I should give you an award. I haven’t heard any of the IEMs from on your list. :xf_cool:
None of them? :xf_eek: wow, you must have a lot of high end stuff then haha.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #5,129 of 5,135

5. SeeAudio Bravery
6. UM MEXT
7. Kinera Skuld
8. Kinera Freya // owned
9. Letshouer EJ07
12. HBB Z300

The Yanyin Moonlight comment sounds like something Crin would comment and then say absolutely NOT! when he looks up the price..

People who can easily demo sets are pretty darn blessed, not having to make any leap of faiths when deciding on sets is an underrated advantage.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #5,130 of 5,135
None of them? :xf_eek: wow, you must have a lot of high end stuff then haha.
I go all the way down to QDCxHBB in my regular rotation! Actually have a couple <$50 that I think are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back