6. 64 Audio U4s
7. FiR Audio Radon 6
8. 64 Audio Trio
9. Unique Melody MEST mk2
10. Unique Melody MAX
As long as U12t on that list, I like

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #5,058 of 5,133
As long as U12t on that list, I like
Still my favorite in that price segment. It does everything well. No way I'd rank a one-trick pony high on the list.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #5,061 of 5,133
My updated updated list:

1) Annihilator 2023
2) EE Evo
3) Noble Sultan Damascus
4) Noble Kublai Khan
5) KSE1200
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Supermoon<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
6) Mest Indigo
7) Oriolus Traillii
>>>LCD-i4 with (and only with EQ)<<<
8) IE900
9) Maestro Mini
10) Raptgo Hook-X
11) Legend X

Based on my preferences/enjoyability (Indigo is not "better" than Traillii for example)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #5,062 of 5,133
I've lurked here a looooong time. Posting in order of what I reach for, not sound quality. A couple of these have usability issues that mean I grab them less often than I would.

1. Viking Ragnar
2. LCDi4
3. KSE1200
4. U12t
5. Thieaudio Monarch Mk2. (these are only 5th because they overlap use cases with the Ragnar)
6. Hifiman RE2000 silver

If I were to rank these by sound quality it'd be really difficult
1. Viking Ragnar
2./3. LCDi4 w/EQ (more atmosphere than anything else I've heard) / KSE1200 w/EQ "the truth" but not a wide soundstage..depth for days, though
4. Thieaudio Monarch Mk2
5. U12t
6. Hifiman RE2000 silver

Ranking the LCDi4 and KSE1200 the same might be a bit of a cop-out. I like them both but also inconvenience makes them not pick them up so much. Listening to the Ragnar doesn't make me wish I had my over-ears with me. They don't sound shouty to me. They don't sound like they have too much treble when paired well to a source. Judging by how they sound with different ieMatch settings on the iFi Go Bar, I'd say they are very sensitive to the impedance of the source.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #5,063 of 5,133
Can anyone recommend a TOTL iem that pairs well with the SP3k? I mainly listen to electronic, hardcore/rock and some rap/pop. Love my Odin and simply looking to expand my collection.

Thought about holding out for a Storm, but it's not a recommended pairing so I'm having reservations about it. Others I'm considering:

Aroma Jewel
UM Mentor
CA Trifecta
Oriolus Traillii JP
Xenon 6

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #5,064 of 5,133
After mulling over your question and thinking out loud... if you are looking at U/V shaped tuning with good hitting sound quality you may well consider a Trio or an IE600.
For both of them there are regularly good deals appearing on the Classifieds page..
how would you define aggressive? U-V shaped? fast? loud?
Just checked and remembered this page and this is a very late reply. But, I would say aggressive in the upper-mids and highs and treble are what i am looking for. I like speed and texture to instruments too.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #5,065 of 5,133
Due to the massive sale on the AKG N5005 I thought I would update my rankings. To reiterate, I am a bit of a basshead an I need bass to enjoy my music, but I also need to full plate of music.

1. Kiwi Ears Quintet - Nice neutralish sound signature with a good amount of bass, I was pleasantly surprised with the bass
2. AKG N5005 - Smooth sound all around, nice relaxing IEM with decent bass
3. Tangzu FUDU - Nice warm presentation, but not overly thick, nice bass thump and rumble and a smooth yet still detailed treble
4. Moondrop May (without DSP) - Balanced sound profile with decent bass, an excellent mid range and good treble extension
5. 7hz Sonus - Fun yet refined V tuned IEM with good bass and treble.
6. TFZ No.3 - Meaty bass with smooth rolled off treble.
7. KZ Castor Bass - Bought cheap and it impressed, good bass and smooth up top.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #5,066 of 5,133
This is by far my favorite thread. I've spent days reading and enjoying everyone's deep knowledge and have learnt a lot about IEMs (didn't know much before; probably not much yet). Yet, I confess I remain confused: I'm planning on investing in a good pair of IEMs, but when looking at what to buy it looks like technological changes are going faster than I can assimilate (apparently much faster than for full-size headphones). Then, be confronted with whether to buy an older TOTL IEM in the second-hand market or a new, more recently released but lower-tier IEM.

By reading this thread, I've learnt the obvious, i.e. that before buying I should first test the IEMs by myself (not always easy though) and that my personal preferences are not comparable to anyone else's, including profesional or amateur reviewers.

However, please let me put forward a straight question with four options: (1) new Thieaudio Monarch MK3 (USD 999); (2) second-hand Empire Ears Odin (USD 3,600); (ii) second-hand Aroma Jewell (USD 4,100); and (iv) second-hand Traillli (USD 5,000). If you had the money (I'm not saying I have it), where would you put it?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice (even if your reply obviously comes with IMO, YMMV, etc.)!!!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #5,067 of 5,133
This is by far my favorite thread. I've spent days reading and enjoying everyone's deep knowledge and have learnt a lot about IEMs (didn't know much before; probably not much yet). Yet, I confess I remain confused: I'm planning on investing in a good pair of IEMs, but when looking at what to buy it looks like technological changes are going faster than I can assimilate (apparently much faster than for full-size headphones). Then, be confronted with whether to buy an older TOTL IEM in the second-hand market or a new, more recently released but lower-tier IEM.

By reading this thread, I've learnt the obvious, i.e. that before buying I should first test the IEMs by myself (not always easy though) and that my personal preferences are not comparable to anyone else's, including profesional or amateur reviewers.

However, please let me put forward a straight question with four options: (1) new Thieaudio Monarch MK3 (USD 999); (2) second-hand Empire Ears Odin (USD 3,600); (ii) second-hand Aroma Jewell (USD 4,100); and (iv) second-hand Traillli (USD 5,000). If you had the money (I'm not saying I have it), where would you put it?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice (even if your reply obviously comes with IMO, YMMV, etc.)!!!
If you're new to the game and are prepared to change a few times before you find your True Love then I'd suggest buying on the second hand market. The reason is that if you manage to buy at a very good price you'd only lose a few hundred bucks while sidegrading or upgrading. If you don't have the money/time/interest to do so then I'd strongly suggest visiting some shows, local meetups, and dealers, and demo the one you think you like best a few times before deciding on new or second hand.

drftr

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #5,068 of 5,133

It depend on your preferences. Odin has a little agressive upper mids. :slight_smile:

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #5,070 of 5,133
If you're new to the game and are prepared to change a few times before you find your True Love then I'd suggest buying on the second hand market. The reason is that if you manage to buy at a very good price you'd only lose a few hundred bucks while sidegrading or upgrading. If you don't have the money/time/interest to do so then I'd strongly suggest visiting some shows, local meetups, and dealers, and demo the one you think you like best a few times before deciding on new or second hand.

drftr
Thanks a lot! I'm not totally new: I recently bought the 64 Audio U18S. Not the most loved ones by reviewers, but I confess I like them a lot and enjoy my time with them. Yet, after reading this thread I had the impression I was missing something and this is why I'm trying to find a different set of IEMs, possibly complementary to the U18S. I guess I should have mentioned this before, but I hope it can help provide some additional context. Thanks a lot for your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back