Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Mar 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #601 of 651
Been listening to a set of MDR-7550s that came with a 7N-OFC EX1000 cable. I've only had the Phonak PFE before this so moving to a dynamic driver IEM is interesting.

One of the previous owners of my 7550s said that the silver EX1000 cable made the sound smoother and warmer and tamed the treble while in this link, http://www.head-fi.org/t/559335/quick-impression-sony-mdr-7550/285#post_8586292, the cable supposedly made the 7550's treble to be more similar to the EX1000.

Listening to them over the PFEs, I noticed stronger bass quantity, slight amount of bass quality, a much bigger sound stage, and more details in my songs. As for the treble, I feel there is less treble than the PFEs and it's not as energetic nor as present in comparison to the other instruments, but it is there.

Maybe it's because I haven't listened to dynamic IEMs before and am not accustomed to this level of bass quantity, but I've been trying to figure out which bands to EQ to get a bit more treble and airiness out of the 7550s to match the EX1000s more closely. So far I've just added +2dB at the 5.5Khz and 9Khz bands. It definitely helps but I think it actually makes vocals a bit more forward since they seem louder. It makes the vocals feel like the person took a step or two forward. I'm also trying +1dB or 1.5dB for both bands instead of +2dB to strike a good balance between everything.

Overall, I think it contrasts my PFEs really well since those were more lean in bass quantity, had a more intimate sound stage, and brighter treble.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #602 of 651
  Been listening to a set of MDR-7550s that came with a 7N-OFC EX1000 cable. I've only had the Phonak PFE before this so moving to a dynamic driver IEM is interesting.

One of the previous owners of my 7550s said that the silver EX1000 cable made the sound smoother and warmer and tamed the treble while in this link, http://www.head-fi.org/t/559335/quick-impression-sony-mdr-7550/285#post_8586292, the cable supposedly made the 7550's treble to be more similar to the EX1000.

Listening to them over the PFEs, I noticed stronger bass quantity, slight amount of bass quality, a much bigger sound stage, and more details in my songs. As for the treble, I feel there is less treble than the PFEs and it's not as energetic nor as present in comparison to the other instruments, but it is there.

Maybe it's because I haven't listened to dynamic IEMs before and am not accustomed to this level of bass quantity, but I've been trying to figure out which bands to EQ to get a bit more treble and airiness out of the 7550s to match the EX1000s more closely. So far I've just added +2dB at the 5.5Khz and 9Khz bands. It definitely helps but I think it actually makes vocals a bit more forward since they seem louder. It makes the vocals feel like the person took a step or two forward. I'm also trying +1dB or 1.5dB for both bands instead of +2dB to strike a good balance between everything.

Overall, I think it contrasts my PFEs really well since those were more lean in bass quantity, had a more intimate sound stage, and brighter treble.

The 7550 does not come with the ex1000 cable, are you sure..

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #603 of 651

I bought them used from a user on head-fi. The original owner bought an ex1000 cable aftermarket. Normally the 7550 doesn't come with the 7N OFC cable.

I feel like these could use a bit more treble sparkle otherwise they're still quite fantastic.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #604 of 651

I bought them used from a user on head-fi. The original owner bought an ex1000 cable aftermarket. Normally the 7550 doesn't come with the 7N OFC cable.

I feel like these could use a bit more treble sparkle otherwise they're still quite fantastic.

if you have the standard supplied cable, you will get a better treble, the EX1000 cable has in increase sound quality, especially the bass.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #606 of 651
anyone willing to part with their 7550? :p

No way!

Although, I'll tell you what. I've recently upgraded from the Sony ZX1 to a ZX2. Now, on the ZX1, I could obviously tell there was quite a difference between my 7550s and SE115s. But after moving to the ZX2, it reveals just how limiting the SE115s are. So much so, that I now find myself annoyed whenever I have to use them because, well, compared to using the 7550s, they're just so completely different sonically (and not in a good way).

I've been looking around for a new set of IEMs in the same vein (dynamic driver) and around the same price point, but also more durable and will sustain transport better than the Sonys.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but the JVC FX850s seem like a pretty compelling option:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/708427/the-new-jvc-fx850-woodie-perfection-a-review

If you prowl Amazon enough, you'll see them starting to dip into the $250 range.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #607 of 651

No way!

Although, I'll tell you what. I've recently upgraded from the Sony ZX1 to a ZX2. Now, on the ZX1, I could obviously tell there was quite a difference between my 7550s and SE115s. But after moving to the ZX2, it reveals just how limiting the SE115s are. So much so, that I now find myself annoyed whenever I have to use them because, well, compared to using the 7550s, they're just so completely different sonically (and not in a good way).

I've been looking around for a new set of IEMs in the same vein (dynamic driver) and around the same price point, but also more durable and will sustain transport better than the Sonys.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but the JVC FX850s seem like a pretty compelling option:

If you prowl Amazon enough, you'll see them starting to dip into the $250 range.

I might pick up another pair of the EX800ST from Japan in June, I've seen them go really cheap, and it doesn't hurts to keep a second pair, even though they are a few years old since it's release, or may be a pair of EX1000.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #608 of 651
No way!

I miss my Z5 while its off being repaired. Have always wanted to try the 7550s after seeing Lachlanlikesathing's review. It might be redundant to have the 7550 and Ex1000 seeing as I have the Z5 already but I want the whole family lol.

No way!

I might pick up another pair of the EX800ST from Japan in June, I've seen them go really cheap, and it doesn't hurts to keep a second pair, even though they are a few years old since it's release, or may be a pair of EX1000.

Pick me up a pair pleasee, I want to get the Ex1000 but eBay prices are a bit much and with the canadian dollar being a wimp its not a good deal for me at this point. How are you liking your 7550s? Would love to read your thoughts on it :)

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #609 of 651

if you have the standard supplied cable, you will get a better treble, the EX1000 cable has in increase sound quality, especially the bass.

Could you be more descriptive about the increase in sound quality? Seems like it definitely makes the sound warmer and smoothes out the treble.

I'm thinking about picking up the standard 7550/ex800 cable from japan somehow for $35

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #610 of 651

Could you be more descriptive about the increase in sound quality? Seems like it definitely makes the sound warmer and smoothes out the treble.

I'm thinking about picking up the standard 7550/ex800 cable from japan somehow for $35

I'm not a true audiophile, just someone who love to hear good music, so my details may not give you the exact comment you want, all I can tell you is, the volume is slightly louder, more bass and more spacious with the EX1000 cable. The supplied cable has a much clearer treble, and the vocals are crispy clearer, I think the EX1000 cable with the extra bass does muddy up the overall sound, but that's in my own words.
Hope this helps, also if you have the intention to get the ex800ST cable do note that it is slightly longer, about 1.6m.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #612 of 651
Apr 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #613 of 651
Apr 20, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #614 of 651

I don't wish to purchase one right now, I want someone to lend me theirs so I can see if I like it enough to buy it. The amount of time I request is 2-3 weeks, I'll return it as it was given to me.

Its not easy to have someone to lend you a pair, I mean, you've posted this a few times with no response, just get one from amazon, I think it does have a 14 day return policy for a full refund.

May 16, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #615 of 651
Just got Sony ex800st, there r great and that is coming from someone who uses at-im02 and fidue a83.

The ex800 are very mid forward but retains the treble details n bass. This is especially so if they are deeply inserted in the ear. The details rivals the at-im02 when deep insertion is used. It is not as peaky as the fidue a83 but the bass is superb. Cannot wait till the drivers burn in. Will update later.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back