Questyle QP2R
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #841 of 1,225
I think there is a valid argument to be made that changing the stats of the DAC chip at this point causes inaudible differences. They would just be chasing buzz. If they have their DAC section figured out, which I think they do, focusing on making the amp section cleaner is a more solid move. The thing I was bummed about was no touchscreen. I think that hurts them in the market more than anything else. Touch screens are just a superior interface to wheels. I think if the sound delivered is better than the QP2R, the interface won't matter to enough people for it to be a big success. I still think the QP2R competes with DAPs at any price for best sound and it can play my HE1000 V2 (plenty of drive) or my sensitive IEMs like the Noble Kaiser Encore with minor adaptations (iFi iEMatch 2.5 is a miracle worker).
That's a good point, if they have things down on the DAC end, working on the AMP end would be the best way to change things for the better.
I too find a touch screen not being added odd but it's not a killer for me. Everyone seems to be going for touch screen, changeable amps, Bluetooth everything, and streaming apps. I couldn't care for the last three, touch screen would be nice but not a must. I think that's why I love my QP2R it's simple.

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #842 of 1,225
My QP2R works fine for everything I use it for, so I don't care for firmware upgrades. After all, none of my nice analog components get firmware upgrades either; tube rolling is a different story :wink: Otherwise, just let them be.

I've heard of boot cycling issues with 1.0.4. I'm happy keeping 1.0.3 forever.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #843 of 1,225
Anyone know how to clear all favorites at once?

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #845 of 1,225
I've heard of boot cycling issues with 1.0.4. I'm happy keeping 1.0.3 forever.
Been on 1.0.4 since it came out, no problems. However, I only use a few features (FLAC PCM, whole albums).

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #847 of 1,225
sounds like a qp2r, replace the 2.2mm out with 4.4mm. slightly increased voltage output in shinier package.

The slightly higher voltage out compensated by slightly higher thd + n.

Just hope the hiss is gone with very sensitive iem.

I would have gone for a QP2R + 2nd micro sd slot.

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #848 of 1,225
sounds like a qp2r, replace the 2.2mm out with 4.4mm. slightly increased voltage output in shinier package.

The slightly higher voltage out compensated by slightly higher thd + n.

Just hope the hiss is gone with very sensitive iem.

I would have gone for a QP2R + 2nd micro sd slot.

Don’t forget also jacking the price up to $2000 for those changes if there are no more.

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #851 of 1,225
The QP2R and Solaris are my favorite pairing right now. What cable do you use?

Do you run it balanced or standard? Is there a huge advantage to balanced on the QP2R with Solaris?

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #852 of 1,225
To my ears, there is fairly wide gap with any IEM using Balanced vs. SE on the QP2R. The sound quality overall is more dynamic and powerful. I always use 2.5mm when using the QP2R

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #853 of 1,225
Do you run it balanced or standard? Is there a huge advantage to balanced on the QP2R with Solaris?
I don't think the advantage is big but is easy to tell the difference. The soundstage is much wider in balanced. It's been too long since I used the standard out, I'll do some A and Bing tonight.

Follow Up;
The Single End, depth and width to take a noticeable hit. The bass is still good but doesn't seem to reach as low. You still get the sparkle in the treble and the reach up high is lower so you don't have to worry about fatigue (certain tracks I feel on balacned the treble is too much and causes fatigue). I have mixed opinions on the mids as sometimes it sounds neutral and other times recessed. The most important part is the hiss while it is still there is a lot more tolerable.
Overall I find the balanced to be a most when using the QP2R and if the hiss is an issue get the IEMatch. I personally don't use one but the balanced (to me) is a good improvement over the single end.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #854 of 1,225
Have any of you guys had an issue where you replace an album with another version of the same album (different quality after a CD re-rip, e.g.), and the QP2R for some reason doesn't update properly and shows the new album and another called "unknown album"? It's been super annoying as I've been re-ripping a lot of old 320 mp3s to flac. I have to delete everything from QP2R, disconnect, refresh the library, then plug back in and copy the new files. And even then it doesn't always work. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Appears to have been something weird about certain .cue files I was generating with EAC. Delete the extaneous files = fix the multiple album listings. Still not sure why it was an issue, but leaving only audio and artwork behind seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #855 of 1,225
If never getting any of the companion components for the QPM, would it be worth getting over the QP2R? I think the extra price jump for the QPM includes electronics to control the new companion wireless components, which I will never use.

The QPM would add these two nice additions:

1. 4.4 mm balanced jack
2. Play streamed music from a smartphone.
3. More power for my headphones if not using an IEM.
4. I think it looks better in black.

The QP2R is half the price now and has the same wheel and UI minus some UI additions the QPM has.

Is the QPM worth the extra $1000?

I would be upgrading from a QP1R.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back