Questyle QP2R
Dec 19, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #287 of 1,225
That's why I would've prefered a co-ax instead of tos from Questyle.

USB-C digital out would be enough for me, and we know it's technically possible. From day one, Questyle have been advertising a dock for the QP2R that does digital out, so we know it can be done. Even my tiny little Shanling M1 can output 352/24 PCM and native DSD256 via its USB-C. I hope I'm just being paranoid, but what worries me is that companies might be tempted to follow Apple down the proprietary connector route, motivated by $$$$s. Maybe I'm being unfairly cynical, but if you look at what Apple have done, it's more than just removing a headphone jack. Any digital-out via the Lightning port either has to be MFi certified (more license $$$$s to Apple), or run the risk of that external device turning into a brick with any future firmware update. I had an opportunity to hang out with @moedawg140 and his family at the weekend (so great to see you back in action buddy!!!) and we had a problem getting his Cozoy Rei DAC to work with his shiny new iPhone X. Hopefully, this was a one-time random glitch that can be resolved, but I've seen plenty of stories and reports where non-Apple-MFi certified USB connected devices turned into bricks after software updates - very likely the specific intent of Apple. I hope I'm wrong and all the QP2R needs is a tiny firmware update and we'll be good, but who knows?

In defense of the QP2R, it sounds so good, I'm not sure I'd even bother to use it as a transport to my Hugo 2. (They sound different, but I'd have a hard time picking a clear winner.) On the flip side, there are some other really interesting digital devices (Dave and the Blu-ii M scaler) where I'd certainly want that option.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #288 of 1,225
USB-C digital out would be enough for me, and we know it's technically possible. From day one, Questyle have been advertising a dock for the QP2R that does digital out, so we know it can be done. Even my tiny little Shanling M1 can output 352/24 PCM and native DSD256 via its USB-C. I hope I'm just being paranoid, but what worries me is that companies might be tempted to follow Apple down the proprietary connector route, motivated by $$$$s. Maybe I'm being unfairly cynical, but if you look at what Apple have done, it's more than just removing a headphone jack. Any digital-out via the Lightning port either has to be MFi certified (more license $$$$s to Apple), or run the risk of that external device turning into a brick with any future firmware update. I had an opportunity to hang out with @moedawg140 and his family at the weekend (so great to see you back in action buddy!!!) and we had a problem getting his Cozoy Rei DAC to work with his shiny new iPhone X. Hopefully, this was a one-time random glitch that can be resolved, but I've seen plenty of stories and reports where non-Apple-MFi certified USB connected devices turned into bricks after software updates - very likely the specific intent of Apple. I hope I'm wrong and all the QP2R needs is a tiny firmware update and we'll be good, but who knows?

In defense of the QP2R, it sounds so good, I'm not sure I'd even bother to use it as a transport to my Hugo 2. (They sound different, but I'd have a hard time picking a clear winner.) On the flip side, there are some other really interesting digital devices (Dave and the Blu-ii M scaler) where I'd certainly want that option.

What QP2 badly needs is to revise the overall UI. It's based on Hiby player I think but it's nowhere near as useable. If I just play everything and don't need to interact much with the UI it's fine. Otherwise, if I find myself searching for albums, artist or try a few settings it's just painful and I end up putting it down and reach for another DAP. My iBasso DX200 with Neutron Music Player or UAPP is a very good combination of hardware/software for a DAP. My ideal DAP is taking the QP2R analog section and stick it inside of Hiby R6.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #289 of 1,225
I can do 352/24 PCM (and DSD256) via either USB or coax into my Hugo 2. I'm not sure why current Toslink devices have this limit. You'd think optical should have a huge bandwidth. I'm sure they will one day....

It comes down to light diffraction in the cable which reduces the data rate and how much light can be pushed through. The better multi-strand plastic cables can do 24/192 and DSD64. Some glass cables can also do 24/192 as well but are much more fragile. The lens of the optical cable is also important and if it isn’t highly polished or is dirty then that will limit the amount of data (light pulses) that can be transmitted. I personally don’t think optical will allow higher data rates one day.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #290 of 1,225
I can do 352/24 PCM (and DSD256) via either USB or coax into my Hugo 2. I'm not sure why current Toslink devices have this limit. You'd think optical should have a huge bandwidth. I'm sure they will one day....

I hope the QP2R gets the USB digital-out feature with a firmware update. It would be a bit lame if they pulled an Apple on us (i.e., it's only ever going to work via our own proprietary USB-C device!).

USB into a Hugo is a different scenario. As the Hugo isn't a DAP it has to be paired with a source. A QP2R in 'DAC' mode is no different, in that case it can handle the same file types into the USB connection.

The HB2 itself does not allow USB out either, they aren't trying to tie you in. For full disclosure I should however point out that the HB2 will only allow up to 192/24 via the SPDIF output. I guess that's enough for most of us! :gs1000smile:

n defense of the QP2R, it sounds so good, I'm not sure I'd even bother to use it as a transport to my Hugo 2. (They sound different, but I'd have a hard time picking a clear winner.) On the flip side, there are some other really interesting digital devices (Dave and the Blu-ii M scaler) where I'd certainly want that option.

I think the omission of this is more to do with csglinux's comment. They could implement it but didn't perceive a huge demand for it as a feature. I can see it is a really handy feature so a DAP can be used as a simple transport, bolted onto a dedicated DAC/amp. However, the QP2R is their flagship player, designed to sound great portable and in a home system, without the need to do that. Although I totally understand some would appreciate the option.

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #291 of 1,225
Speaking of new features and firmware - v1.0.3 is just released. Haven't installed yet but will try soon.

http://www.questyleaudio.com/index.php/download

QP2R V1.0.3 Firmware Update:
1. Add HiFi HUB HB2 connection.
2. Improve the display of album cover. Fix problems of incomplete display of album cover and small display area.
3. In “Category”-”Batch process”- “Add to”, there is a new feature of creating a playlist.
4. With playing music files in internal memory or micro SD card, press and hold the “OK” button to take you directly to the playing screen when you are at somewhere else.
5. In Volume setting, the gradient of volume control can be selected to set as “60” or “120” steps. The default setting is “60”.(Note: the max volume level of both “60” and “120” steps is the same, only different in control precision.)
6. Add the following tips:
①In full balanced mode, when you set BIAS as “High”, QP2R screen will show a reminder saying
“Caution: please make sure DAP surrounding is good for heat release when it’s in 2.5mm full balanced output & High BIAS mode.”
②If you charge QP2R battery while playing files in full balanced mode with High BIAS setting, the QP2R screen will show a reminder saying
“To ensure high performance, DAP charge function is disabled if loading 2.5mm full balanced output & High BIAS mode.”

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #292 of 1,225
USB into a Hugo is a different scenario.
I don't think so. Maybe I could have worded this better, but we were talking about QP2R optical output and its alternatives. That's the only scenario we were discussing. Going out from the QP2R (or other DAP) = going in on Hugo 2 (or.other stand-alone DAC/amp). The point I was making is that with my other DAPs, I'm able to send all my existing file.formats over USB without any limits or restrictions. Something we can't (yet) do on the QP2R. Although...

Speaking of new features and firmware - v1.0.3 is just released. Haven't installed yet but will try soon.

http://www.questyleaudio.com/index.php/download

QP2R V1.0.3 Firmware Update:
1. Add HiFi HUB HB2 connection.
2. Improve the display of album cover. Fix problems of incomplete display of album cover and small display area.
3. In “Category”-”Batch process”- “Add to”, there is a new feature of creating a playlist.
4. With playing music files in internal memory or micro SD card, press and hold the “OK” button to take you directly to the playing screen when you are at somewhere else.
5. In Volume setting, the gradient of volume control can be selected to set as “60” or “120” steps. The default setting is “60”.(Note: the max volume level of both “60” and “120” steps is the same, only different in control precision.)
6. Add the following tips:
①In full balanced mode, when you set BIAS as “High”, QP2R screen will show a reminder saying
“Caution: please make sure DAP surrounding is good for heat release when it’s in 2.5mm full balanced output & High BIAS mode.”
②If you charge QP2R battery while playing files in full balanced mode with High BIAS setting, the QP2R screen will show a reminder saying
“To ensure high performance, DAP charge function is disabled if loading 2.5mm full balanced output & High BIAS mode.”

Item 1 looks interesting. Has anybody tested v1.0.3 for USB out?

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #295 of 1,225
Which is curious, no? Considering they're supporting digital-out via their own hub? Why no love for standard USB cables? What could the motivation po$$ibly be here? :wink:
Perhaps, if I put my cynical hat on.. :thinking: I'm not technical enough to know if implementing USB - SPDIF as the HB2 does, is very close in terms of engineering and firmware to turning on a direct USB - USB connection but clearly it would be possible.

If the requests are there I'm sure they will look into adding it. :fingers_crossed:

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #298 of 1,225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back