Questyle QP2R

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by unknownguardian, May 17, 2017.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last
  1. ChisChas
    Not trying to tell my granny how to suck eggs (what is the origin of this strange expression?) but do make sure the Utopias Matt loans you are run-in. The pair he loaned me weren't at all run-in but 7 days of 24 hour music improved them hugely. I'll PM you the S/N of the ones I'm loaning, least you'll know they're run-in...........I'm sure HiFiMan had a great plan but why would a headphone manufacturer produce a headphone that requires a hugely expensive amp/dac to go with them? Focal got this absolutely right in my view.

2. moedawg140 Contributor
    Nice summary, @glassmonkey - hope all is well with you and your family.

For those that are not able to, and would like to purchase a QP2R case, I would contact your dealer or Final representative(s). The QP1R case fits in the QP2R, however you’ll need to get the QP2R’s Final case if you specifically want/need dedicated cutouts.

Happy New Year, everyone!

UELong likes this.
  3. brams
    Definitely hisses with my Encores, but doesn't bother me when listening to music (balanced output, low gain, high bias).

4. UELong
    Curious: What effect does high bias have on sound?

5. rcoleman1
    @moedawg140 Thanks and Happy New Year with well wishes for you and the family. Can't find anything online for the QP2R case Moe...any links? Thanks.

moedawg140 likes this.
  6. moedawg140 Contributor
    Happy New Year and wishes for a prosperous year for you and your family, my friend.

I do not have a specific purchase website link, however, I would try here first so Final can possibly point you in the right direction:

support@final-audio-design.com

7. brams
    Apparently it's intended to reduce harmonic distortion when the QP2R is driving a "heavy load". By this I assume Questyle is referring to a hard-to-drive headphone whatever that means to a current mode amplifier. The concept apoears to be similar to running a class A/AB amplifier in class A mode for higher outputs by dynamically biasing the impacted transistors. This would bring all the benefits typically associated with class A amplification including no cross over switching distortion, but would result in less efficiency (unit runs hotter) and greater battery drain.

In practice using this feature I can't honestly say I have noticed a marked performance difference with the earphones I have tried so far except perhaps a sense of greater "ease" to the music possibly due to greater current drive. It would be great for someone with a headphone generally considered to be hard to drive to report on their experience with this setting. I just reported it as the setting on my unit in case it has an impact on the level of hiss.

ChisChas and UELong like this.
  8. UELong
    Thanks. I understand the QP1R to be just class A. Has the 2R gone AB, then?

9. goodvibes
    Not by anything I can find and I doubt the amp ever leaves class A mode. I don't know this as I haven't asked but these probably have sliding bias to preserve battery life. It would keep the amp in class A mode but increase the efficiency with some power supply tracking. It may be that High Bias defeats this and would have the unit be less energy efficient at full class A bias and with the most control at all times when driving something that would drain the battery more quickly anyway. If you can't hear any difference when driving easier loads, it indicates that their sliding bias circuit, or whatever it is that they are doing, is working as intended and without ill effect. :ksc75smile:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  10. thatonenoob
    Just wanted to draw attention to anyone who potentially had issues with running the QP1R (maybe 2R) as a USB/DAC from a computer . Reference is XPS 9560, 2017, Windows 10.

Here's a brief overview. I downloaded the "high-end" USB drivers from the website, and very simply, those didn't work. Instead, I let windows handle the setup automatically, and the QP1R played nicely as a USB/DAC. In case anyone had issues with that end of functionality.

11. esauseesaw
    As there is no official QP2R case from Questyle I ordered some from Spyker Audio in China, via a Questyle contact. Quality is comparable to the Questyle QP1R case but it adds indents for the extra skip/pause buttons and a hole so you can see if high bias is on. The QP1R case does fit the QP2R but doesn't accommodate the extra side buttons and bias light. Here's some pics, I only ordered blue and brown, perhaps rather conservatively I thought red might not be so popular...??? :)

The price is GBP 49. I'll get them on our new site soon (and post a link) but they will also be available via retailers.

Happy New Year to everyone!

QP2R_cases_all_colours.jpg
    QP2R_cases_brown_blue.jpg QP2R_cases_brown_power.jpg QP2R_cases_brown_skip.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    ChisChas and moedawg140 like this.
  12. moedawg140 Contributor
    Looks good, and Happy New Year to you!

esauseesaw likes this.
  13. glassmonkey
    Those look really nice. I'm that guy who would go for hotrod red. Red just screams for a torrid love affair with the DAP. It's hot stuff.

ChisChas and esauseesaw like this.
  14. esauseesaw
    LOL, hot stuff indeed! I'll see what I can do.... :)

15. glassmonkey
    Took a look at some more pictures. Not sure if I dig the white stitching on the red one when the player is gold. Probably works better with the silver. I think I like the brown the best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Red stitching on red would have looked better to me.

esauseesaw likes this.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last