PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Feb 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #137 of 630
Didn't realise things like that exist, it might fix the problem temporarily.

I decided not to send the phones in for warranty, too much hassle and cost as I'd have to send them to the UK from Finland. Came up with an idea to craft a wooden replacement for the plastic craptastic headband that snapped. I went with craptastic because after I disassembled the headband I saw how flimsy it in reality is, no wonder it broke. And the black spine it has embedded into it turned out to be rubber instead of metal what I initially thought it was, as on the cups themselves the band IS metal. Be happy if you have a pair that's not from this stock!

Anyhow, the replacement, I'll try to craft one later this year. I inspected the original part and came to conclusion, that it shouldn't be hard to craft something very similar, but more durable, out of wood. The design itself on the band looks sound, it's just the material that is the letdown. 
For now I'm trying a temporary fix  bi-component epoxy resin glue, but I doubt that'll last more than few weeks, if even the first try. 

Sounds like a lot more effort than sending it to the UK :p But the end result should be better. I'd love to be able to make my own wooden headphones.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #138 of 630
How do these compare to the SRH 940's? I love my 940's but wwould like a more comfortable headband and find female vocals to be somewhat nasaly. Beeng looking at these, the dt1350, NAD, and Momentum for use at the office.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #139 of 630
How do these compare to the SRH 940's? I love my 940's but wwould like a more comfortable headband and find female vocals to be somewhat nasaly. Beeng looking at these, the dt1350, NAD, and Momentum for use at the office.

Can't say in comparison to the 940's. The NAD are supposed to sound pretty similar to the PSB. I would only consider the momentums if you have small ears. Smaller than average. Not just because of comfort, but sound too. The way they sat on my bigger ears muffled the sound. The momentums are very nice in every aspect and are very luxurious. The sound will also pretty nice to please many people. They handle intricate sounds very well and have good bass. Between momentums and the PSB, momentums will probably more enjoyable in sound, but the PSBs will show you clarity you were missing and great comfort for most ears, but with less bass.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #140 of 630
I just plugged my M4U1s into my old pioneer home stereo with loudness on. Eric Clapton's "Layla" (unplugged/live) was on at the time. I was just stunned at how good these sounded. While the better amping surely helped, the ability to tune the eq a little combined with the amping simply blew me away! The bass was so clean and present. The acoustic guitars plucked so cleanly that competes with open backed headphones. All the various instruments were a beautiful palette and had their own little location to where they came from, though sometimes you would hear the instruments change their position in the landscape, which added a completely new sense of depth. WOW... I need an amp. I might steal my parent's stereo haha.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #141 of 630
I just plugged my M4U1s into my old pioneer home stereo with loudness on. Eric Clapton's "Layla" (unplugged/live) was on at the time. I was just stunned at how good these sounded. While the better amping surely helped, the ability to tune the eq a little combined with the amping simply blew me away! The bass was so clean and present. The acoustic guitars plucked so cleanly that competes with open backed headphones. All the various instruments were a beautiful palette and had there own little location to where they came from, though sometimes you would hear the instruments change their position in the landscape, which added a completely new sense of depth. WOW... I need an amp. I might steal my parent's stereo haha.

Glad you like your PSB M4U1! xD

Happy listening
Billson 

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #142 of 630
Whew, I just replaced about 5 albums that had files floating around 200 Kbps and it was not fun. Much more to do. Anyway, I won't quote because of the length of the posts, so a few things: I like the fact of clean audio and if the bass is better than skullcandy's aviators (if you had the misfortune to listen to them), then the psb should be good. What you were trying to describe with the soundstage sounds exactly like what I love. A wide soundstage is great, but more importantly, I want to be immersed. I've rarely experienced that. IMO, RATMs songs don't quite have the complexity for good testing. Could you give me some songs that the psb do great with? I'll give you this to test: the who eminence front. Very complex with intricate little sounds. It sounds good in my se215s, but the tiny drivers sometimes struggle when the vocals come in. Another thing is that most of the time I'll listen to headphones unamped. Of course amps are helpful, but I'd prefer an efficient headphone whenever possible. About the hp100, mids are important to me, they're apparently a bit v shaped. I'll probably add another post after I Re-read stuff, but after all of that file management and replacing, I need a break.

Great songs for the PSB that I use to show off my PSB M4u-2's:

Ride Across the River - Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Hotel California (live) - The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
One   - Metalica  - And Justice for All
Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor  - Greatest Hits
Cleaning Windows - Van Morrison -  The Best of Van Morrison
Let me Love You Baby (live) - Buddy Guy -  The Real Deal: Live
Tom Sawyer   - Rush - Moving Pictures
Homeless - Paul Simon - Graceland
Violin Concerto In G Minor Op 8/2 - Vivaldi/Nigel Kennedy and the English Chamber Orchestra - Vivaldi The Four Seasons
After the Gold Rush - Neil Young - Live At the Cellar Door

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #143 of 630
Great songs for the PSB that I use to show off my PSB M4u-2's:

Ride Across the River - Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Hotel California (live) - The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
One   - Metalica  - And Justice for All
Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor  - Greatest Hits
Cleaning Windows - Van Morrison -  The Best of Van Morrison
Let me Love You Baby (live) - Buddy Guy -  The Real Deal: Live
Tom Sawyer   - Rush - Moving Pictures
Homeless - Paul Simon - Graceland
Violin Concerto In G Minor Op 8/2 - Vivaldi/Nigel Kennedy and the English Chamber Orchestra - Vivaldi The Four Seasons
After the Gold Rush - Neil Young - Live At the Cellar Door

Cool, I'll try some out. I think they do really well on instrumental songs too.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #144 of 630
Cool, I'll try some out. I think they do really well on instrumental songs too.

I love them with instrumentals as well.  I feel they also shine with female vocals.  Eva Cassidy and Fleetwood Mac are fantastic with the PSB's.  The songs I listed really show the ability of the PSB's to bring out micro-detail in a musical way throughout the musical spectrum of high's to lows.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #145 of 630
I just purchased the PSB M4U 1, they should come in 3 days. Coming from the Shure SRH840, I sort of know what to expect, I wanted a complete and total upgrade, not a "side grade." I also keep hearing how the PSB M4U 2 sound SO much better in active mode. if that is the case, shouldn't the PSB M4U 1 benefit from a Little Dot 1+, it has upgraded tubes and opamps? The Shures sound exactly the same amped. Does anyone know how these compare to the Shures firsthand?

Also, how good is the isolation if you're in a cafeteria or classroom, the Shures worked OK in class, you had to turn it up loud. In the cafeteria, there was no point of using them.

I'm in that state of mind of "Can it get better than this"? Lets hope so.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #146 of 630
everyone is telling that they sound similar to the nad viso, but similar means not the same. so i wonder where exactly their differences are soundwise?

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #148 of 630
I have heard that the PSB's have slightly more bass and forward mids than the NAD. I own the PSB M4U-2 and love them. I got to listen to the NAD's once in a store but could not do a direct comparison. But I defiantly noticed the difference in the mids.

As for amping, the PSB-2 don't seem to gain as much from the internal amp when played through an external amp. However, it is nice to not have a stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back