PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
May 22, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #616 of 630
Hello, did any of you have an occasion to compare PSB M4U-1 to Shure SRH940? I have been owner of PSB for two months and adored them, but yesterday I listened to some music on these Shures, and really liked them ta lot too (its BIG dynamic sound) - frankly speaking, when I came back to PSB afterwards, I felt it lacked some bass. The guy working in a headphones shop claimed that in his opinion SRH940 are to die for and much much better than PSB. Just curious - what are your thoughts? How would you compare these two models? :)

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #617 of 630
Got these for £50 and it's one of the best bargains I've had in this game. I initially disliked it as i found it positioned instruments around a bit different to what I'm used to (in the soundstage), but giving it a chance it immediately grows on you. Profoundly musical... I can see me really enjoying just listening to music with these. i really enjoy vocals. Freddie Mercury's voice has just enough warmth and has great articulation. i found the same with other singers.

They do live music very well and pump out good detail.

I thought it was lacking in bass at first, but once i adjusted to the sound it was very quick with just enough weight to enjoy. Sub bass isn't massive so those expecting big thick thundering bass won't be satisfied.

Mids and treble just nice for me, thin(ish) but good weight and warmth. Weird thing about the detail they bring out... certain details in music I'm used to hearing don't stand out as obvious as some of my other headphones, but they also bring out some details and effects I'd never heard before in favourite songs. More down to the soundstage. It's narrow but very deep... but you never feel the lack of width is a problem.

A very unique, but thoroughly enjoyable listen.

VERY COMFY.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #618 of 630
WOW... In one Queen song called LIAR which starts of with great percussion there's a drum like effect in the centre I've never once noticed... I also heard some lyrics on Queen's Seaside Rendezvous that I now realise I've been singing wrong for years lol. Very clear vocals.

I can't help but feel the guy i bought these from could have set a price much higher than £50 lol.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #619 of 630
Can anyone weigh in about the M4U1 upper-mids sounding a bit honky or shouty (when UNAMPED, as this is how i will use them)? The NAD HP50 earpads are acceptably comfortable to me, but in comparison to the Beoplay H6, the NAD's earpads show their flaws and unspectacular seal, so I'm thinking I might replace them with an M4U1. I don't have that sharp of an ear (nor do I want to, lol), but I can tell that the H6 (2nd gen) is a bit honkier with vocals than the NAD, so I'm somewhat worried about the M4U1's energy. The treble is apparently a bit sharper on the M4U1's, so I hope it doesn't sound artificial.... Any other possible inferiorities with the M4U1 (when unamped)? sloppier bass/highs? same mediocre earpad comfort as the NAD (not concerned with headpad)?

simply put, I've seen a lot of posts saying the NADs just edge out the PSBs on sound quality alone....

if you think there is a better alternative when UNAMPED to the NAD HP50 feel free to suggest some (please do not recommend: b&w p7 BASSY, Momentums BASSY, ath-msr7, Beoplay H6 either gen UNEVEN, Meze 99 classic UNREFINED BASS, mdr1a, open headphones, or hard-to-drive headphones). Pretty much the only alternative I've found might be AKG-K553, but I'm also concerned about the questionable seal and possible thin mids on that. hmm. thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #620 of 630
Can anyone weigh in about the M4U1 upper-mids sounding a bit honky or shouty (when UNAMPED, as this is how i will use them)? The NAD HP50 earpads are acceptably comfortable to me, but in comparison to the Beoplay H6, the NAD's earpads show their flaws and unspectacular seal, so I'm thinking I might replace them with an M4U1. I don't have that sharp of an ear (nor do I want to, lol), but I can tell that the H6 (2nd gen) is a bit honkier with vocals than the NAD, so I'm somewhat worried about the M4U1's energy. The treble is apparently a bit sharper on the M4U1's, so I hope it doesn't sound artificial.... Any other possible inferiorities with the M4U1 (when unamped)? sloppier bass/highs? same mediocre earpad comfort as the NAD (not concerned with headpad)?

simply put, I've seen a lot of posts saying the NADs just edge out the PSBs on sound quality alone....

if you think there is a better alternative when UNAMPED to the NAD HP50 feel free to suggest some (please do not recommend: b&w p7 BASSY, Momentums BASSY, ath-msr7, Beoplay H6 either gen UNEVEN, Meze 99 classic UNREFINED BASS, mdr1a, open headphones, or hard-to-drive headphones). Pretty much the only alternative I've found might be AKG-K553, but I'm also concerned about the questionable seal and possible thin mids on that. hmm. thoughts?

At the price range I prefer the Soundmagic HP100

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #621 of 630
At the price range I prefer the Soundmagic HP100
The PSB m4u1 sound fantastic out of my Sony zx2. I also have the NAD. The NAD is warmer. The PSB has better imaging. The NAD has more thwack in snare drums. The PSB has tighter and deeper bass. I use the PSB more not because of the sound but because of fit issues with the NAD. Otherwise, I'd probable alternate evenly.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #622 of 630

The PSB m4u1 sound fantastic out of my Sony zx2. I also have the NAD. The NAD is warmer. The PSB has better imaging. The NAD has more thwack in snare drums. The PSB has tighter and deeper bass. I use the PSB more not because of the sound but because of fit issues with the NAD. Otherwise, I'd probable alternate evenly.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #623 of 630
One of the best headphones ever made. After the purchase, they need to work several tens of hours to reach their reference characteristics. Immediately after buying the bass is a muddy. but this effect will go away, just need some time.

The bass is accurate and tight. All frequencies are well balanced.The only negative of these headphones is the cheap body materials and a strange fit.

I listened a lot of headphones, including stax 009. Psb m4u 1 are the most reference headphones I've ever heard.

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #624 of 630
I have had them for some time and they do sound a lot better than when I first got them, very well designed for sound

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #625 of 630
That's weird, i had them out for the first time in a long while last night as my Soundmagic HP100 had snapped at the joint (noooo). Glad you said that HungryPanda as i was hoping they'd improve. That's not me saying they're bad as they sound really good but i can tell they have more potential, especially from what I've read from others.

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #629 of 630
Hey, you should do so anyway... someone at some point may look for info on how to do it.
Pry off the outer cover
1594488335443.jpeg

There is a black wire that connects the 2 sides.
1594488409396.jpeg

We need to remove that -unsolder on both sides so we get truly balanced.
The gold wire is ground. The red wire is right. The green wire is left.
After the changes this is what the right side looks like
1594488588178.jpeg

This is what the left side looks like
1594488627146.jpeg

I left the black wire tied up with some sticky tack so it wouldn't rattle.
I bought a pair of OKCSC 3.5mm Earphone Plug to MMCX Cable Converter on Amazon and an upgrade cable (2.5mm Plug, MMCX Connector).
1594489477246.jpeg
The adapters send left and right to tip so that affected how I soldered.
I used low heat on a blow drier to warm the ear curves in the cable and straighten them.
I also got Replacement Ear Pads for ATH M50x which fit the PSB M4U1.

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #630 of 630
Have just dug out my old PSB M4U1 - it's quite literally hanging together by a thread but surprised at how much I'm enjoying the sound after all this time. Grabbed them for about £100 many years ago. Possibly one of the most underrated cans ever! Love how clean the mids and vocals are. Would definitely get another pair if I ever get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back