PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Mar 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #151 of 630
Have logged about 2.5 hours already...I love the sound. They are not as uncomfortable as I thought they would be. Sound is so sweet. Looks a little big and goofy. I got the gray thinking it might tone it down, but still goofy.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #152 of 630
I find them very comfortable. I can wear them for hours on end with no issues. I just have to extend the headband a bit to loosen them on the temples. They do sound amazing for the price. One of the best deals going in audio.
I hope you enjoy them.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #153 of 630
I don't know what you guys are running your PSBs from - but I just got a Magni+Modi stack from Schiit and it's really amazing.

I absolutely love the sound signature from the PSB.
I think they very much benefit from proper amping (brings up the bass a little bit without over shadowing the mids).
I don't know if it's the external DAC or the new amp ... but going from iPad>CCK>Modi>Magni>PSB M4U1 really opens up the soundstage. Tracks involving orchestra are just sublime ! I'm getting a real kick out of listening to Distant Worlds or Video Game Live. I'm even just listening mostly from Rdio and a little bit of 24/96 tracks from FLAC player.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #154 of 630
I am using my Fiio x3
I don't know what you guys are running your PSBs from - but I just got a Magni+Modi stack from Schiit and it's really amazing.

I absolutely love the sound signature from the PSB.
I think they very much benefit from proper amping (brings up the bass a little bit without over shadowing the mids).
I don't know if it's the external DAC or the new amp ... but going from iPad>CCK>Modi>Magni>PSB M4U1 really opens up the soundstage. Tracks involving orchestra are just sublime ! I'm getting a real kick out of listening to Distant Worlds or Video Game Live. I'm even just listening mostly from Rdio and a little bit of 24/96 tracks from FLAC player.

I am using my Fiio X3

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #155 of 630
I listened for about 4 hours last night. I did not burn them in over night. Woke this morning and am wearing them. The sound is really enjoyable. I bumped the bass a little on my X3, but not really sure I needed too.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #156 of 630
I listened for about 4 hours last night. I did not burn them in over night. Woke this morning and am wearing them. The sound is really enjoyable. I bumped the bass a little on my X3, but not really sure I needed too.

Glad you enjoy them. I sometimes like a little extra bass depending in the kind of music. What kinds of music did you try them with

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #157 of 630
Glad you enjoy them. I sometimes like a little extra bass depending in the kind of music. What kinds of music did you try them with

Jazz,blues, rock and some metal

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #164 of 630
I plan on selling mine for $199, they sound great, but IMO are not worth their price and performance ratio.
My brother and I compared them to the Shure SRH840, and we both prefer the Shures. The Shure have better/more mids and highs, and have a slightly more natural and accurate sound. The Shures are more lively and energetic, string instruments sound A LOT better on the Shures. The only advanteges of the PSB's is the bass, comfort, fit, intimacy, and low mids. The difference are minor to moderate imo, all in all I think the Shures are better OVERALL performer.
For $300 I was expecting a good difference, to be bettter than the Shures in EVERYWAY, in fact, I heard the PSB outperformed the Shure SRH840 in every aspect, which is false.

PSB to me are too laid back, rolled of in the highs, and not the best detail retrival.

I plan on purchasing the Audio Techinica A900X, I want something similar to the Shures, but with more mids.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #165 of 630
  I plan on selling mine for $199, they sound great, but IMO are not worth their price and performance ratio.
My brother and I compared them to the Shure SRH840, and we both prefer the Shures. The Shure have better/more mids and highs, and have a slightly more natural and accurate sound. The Shures are more lively and energetic, string instruments sound A LOT better on the Shures. The only advanteges of the PSB's is the bass, comfort, fit, intimacy, and low mids. The difference are minor to moderate imo, all in all I think the Shures are better OVERALL performer.
For $300 I was expecting a good difference, to be bettter than the Shures in EVERYWAY, in fact, I heard the PSB outperformed the Shure SRH840 in every aspect, which is false.

PSB to me are too laid back, rolled of in the highs, and not the best detail retrival.

I plan on purchasing the Audio Techinica A900X, I want something similar to the Shures, but with more mids.

People should listen to headphones if they can before purchasing them as everyone has different tastes.  To me the Shures sound "tinny" and have way too much high end.  My PSB's have the perfect amount of roll-off etc.  If I EQ the high end up at all I get fatigued.  However, the music player and quality of the source have a bearing on this. 

I do not doubt this authors sincerity  or ears.  I am just saying that we all have different tastes and perceptions.  To me the PSBs have very very good detail at all ranges, highs and lows.  One of the things I like the most about the PSB's is the bass which, while tunes slightly up, is very precise and does not bleed over into the mids.  It allows for great detail in the bass.  As for accuracy in recording, musicians and anyone who goes to live performances knows that bass tends to carry and be very pronounced in most venues.  That is just the nature of long wave length sound waves at any distance from the source.

As frequently stated in this forum: YMMM.   My advise is to read through many reviews from various sources and then make an informed decision based on your musical tastes.  Try to listen to the phones in person before choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back