PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #571 of 3,605
Quote:
My previous source was the Oppo DV-980H. I always thought it was a pretty good sounding player, but the 105 is just SO much more detailed.

Yes, I'm using the 105's internal DACs. Right now, running unbalanced to the Headamp GS-X. As soon as I get some XLR cables, I'll have a fully-balanced setup.

It's nice to have only one player that does everything well. Oppo's used to be one of the best kept secrets out there, not anymore tough.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #573 of 3,605
I really appreciate these headphones, dig it!
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #574 of 3,605
I think it's a general misconception that because of their low impedance, Grados don't need high end amplification.  

IME the PS1000s scale quite significantly with TOTL amps.
My three favorite ones:

3. ECBA
2. MAD EAR+
1. Apex Pinnacle.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #575 of 3,605
Quote:
I think it's a general misconception that because of their low impedance, Grados don't need high end amplification.  

My three favorite ones:

3. ECBA
2. MAD EAR+
1. Apex Pinnacle.

You like Mad's ear+ more than the pinnacle? Now that's a bargain...

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #576 of 3,605
Not Pinnacle. Better than the ECBA.
That's how I've rated them; 3,2&1

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #577 of 3,605
Quote:

My three favorite ones:

3. ECBA
2. MAD EAR+
1. Apex Pinnacle.

I agree that the PS1000 do benefit from TOTL amplification, but contrary to some other flagship models, they don't absolutely need it, to give you decent sound quality.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #578 of 3,605
I would agree with this ^, the Ps1000 sounds really nice out of my WA22 but still pretty good out of my XCANS+PSU.

May 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #580 of 3,605
Quote:
How would this headphone sound with the schiit mjolnir and gungnir stack? I want to get this headphone, but only if I don't need a new amp

Not a great match with the Mjolnir. Too much treble energy sibilance.

No idea about the Gungnir. 

May 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #581 of 3,605
Quote:
I would agree with this ^, the Ps1000 sounds really nice out of my WA22 but still pretty good out of my XCANS+PSU.

What tubes do you have in your X-CAN, i just ordered some Electro Harmonix 6922, for my X-CAN V2

May 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #582 of 3,605
Quote:
Quote:

What tubes do you have in your X-CAN, i just ordered some Electro Harmonix 6922, for my X-CAN V2

I don't know, I heard it had tubes in it! It's hard to find out much about these amps these days, especially the original model. I remembered them from back in the day and picked one up used a while back. Good to know it uses 6922, you say that there's two in there eh? I'll have to take a peek sometime!

May 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #583 of 3,605
Quote:

I don't know, I heard it had tubes in it! It's hard to find out much about these amps these days, especially the original model. I remembered them from back in the day and picked one up used a while back. Good to know it uses 6922, you say that there's two in there eh? I'll have to take a peek sometime!

It's a hybryd, tube preamp and solid state output, the stock tubes were JAN Phillips 6922, but i doubt that it still has the original tubes, especially that it's an always on desing.

Try Googling, Rock Grotto, this guy is very knowlegable about the X-CAN.

May 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #584 of 3,605
So I'm still pretty new to this whole audiophile thing, but I've done quite a lot of research over the past few months and decided on a pretty good setup in my opinion. First and foremost, GRADO PS1000's! They came in a few weeks ago and I've been listening to them pretty much every night since... I love them! Second, I went with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC, which just arrived today. I'll have to listen a little while longer to get a full feel for it, but so far I'm impressed. Lastly, I ordered a Woo WA6-SE amp with sophia-princess tube upgrade about a month ago. I just got notification that it has finished being built and is on the way. My ears love me right now 
dt880smile.png
, but my bank account not so much. I can't wait to try everything out for the first time as a full system, but I am sure I will fall in love instantly.

May 24, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #585 of 3,605
Quote:
So I'm still pretty new to this whole audiophile thing, but I've done quite a lot of research over the past few months and decided on a pretty good setup in my opinion. First and foremost, GRADO PS1000's! They came in a few weeks ago and I've been listening to them pretty much every night since... I love them! Second, I went with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC, which just arrived today. I'll have to listen a little while longer to get a full feel for it, but so far I'm impressed. Lastly, I ordered a Woo WA6-SE amp with sophia-princess tube upgrade about a month ago. I just got notification that it has finished being built and is on the way. My ears love me right now 
dt880smile.png
, but my bank account not so much. I can't wait to try everything out for the first time as a full system, but I am sure I will fall in love instantly.

Woo is a great choice for PS1000s & all things Grado. 
You won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back